• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Commonwealth War Graves

O

O.C.

To anyone who is searching for a someone killed in the Great War who was in the services.
This is the best place to start and information is free

https://www.cwgc.org/

Peter, Oisin, you can print a nice memorial page off as well...... free

Thanks for that Cromwell. I haven't forgotten printing off my Uncle's detals from that site a few years ago. It was the most amazing feeling seeing that info coming out of my printer.
It's amazing that each soldier who is known to have been killed in the two main WW's
have their own place on the site and instructions as to where they are buried if that information is known.

jennyann said:
Thanks for that Cromwell. I haven't forgotten printing off my Uncle's detals from that site a few years ago. It was the most amazing feeling seeing that info coming out of my printer.

jennynan I had exactly the same feeling about four years ago when I found my wife's Grandfather on the CWGC. I went running down stairs shouting "I've found ya Granddad"

https://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=928688

Nick i think I have spoken to you before, but find it strange that their was 3 Box names in the Worcestershire Regiment surley they must all be related

:angel: Nick are you related to Peter Box who would be around 55-60yrs by any chance? If so let me know by PM please.

Nick, Info you wanted, you can check address to get parents name on the electoral roll

Nick CWWG is different to SDGW (Soldiers died in the Great War) some info on both is incorrect and both have info which is not on each others site I use the Two and cross check with the regiment were I can
Don't take anything as gospel till its been confirmed
Info in Roll of Honour was given by next of Kin which a lot was incorrect
I was told my father fought at Gallipoli and was in the Buffs both incorrect so if he had been killed this incorrect info would have gone on the roll of honour only thing that is or might be correct is the address which is the main thing because all the rest can be cross checked
I just point ya in the right direction then its up to you on how far you want to go or on how much you want to find out
I have just pumped the Name BOX into CWGC and 69 names came up
SDGW put name in and 54 came up and its like this on most checks, thats why you have to use the two if you are searching for someone,what one dont have you will find the other might
Both of them have info that the other has not got .......so's it pays to check

Thanks for the reply, I realize a lot of mistakes have been made on both the CWGC and SGDW. as for your " Don't take anything as gospel till its been confirmed" Its a policy I've adopted  all my life. :) and 'family history' can be way off, things like "your Granddad was in the charge of the light Brigade" can be far from the truth. O0

Cheers Nick

After WWI, many British vets were hired to take care of the CWGC cemeteries. A large number of these men married French and Belgium women and raised families there. When the Germans invaded during WWII, a few of them managed to escape via Dunkirk and other ports , but many of them were interned for the duration of the war.

While lots has been written about the prison camps that the Germans ran, very little exists about the Ilags (Civilian Interment Camps) that they were kept in. Today, many of their descendants still live there and some like James Fox (who was considered the youngest British escapee) are actively researching this topic.

One of the things I have on my to do list is a web site about these men and the Ilags. If anyone has come across any information about them or the camps I would appreciate hearing it.

BigFungi, I might be able to help you here but it will be in the New Year so ya will have to wait a few weeks as I have a lot of contacts in France and Belgium.

Thanks Graham

My interest in these men started when one of the viewers on my website saw a picture that was taken in the same spot as one he had of his Father and Uncles who where CWGC employees. The picture I had was signed to T. McNamee (Tommy) from Walter. This researcher was actually able to track Walter down. He now lives near Dunkirk and remembers giving the picture to Tommy on the day that Milag was liberated. Walter is the third from the left in the back row.

Murray, Modified post
I hope to have some info in a few weeks as I have sent out a few E-mails

Don't forget the CWG's site also includes some civilians. I have done many look ups for people who lost family and friends in the BSA bombings.

Not sure if this is a recent occurrence but just searched for an Eric James Fortune on the CWGC by entering just Eric and then E Fortune but he didn't appear in the search results.

I would have thought that either would be enough to have him show up in the results but he only appears I search for Eric James or E J. Seems a little strict, I thought he may have been omitted.

Thanks O.C. for the link.I already knew where our relative was buried but didnt know about the Memorial page. I dont think he died in actual service but in Selly Oak Hospital in 1944.I have sent for his record about 6 months ago and not had anything back.....I was hoping above hope that it might say on the CWGC site but alas it didnt.Great Memorial though.
Thanks

His death cert will tell you where he died. Also if it was as a result of injuries.
I have a WW1 relative listed on CWGC site but buried at Lodge Hill. His death cert told me he died in Uffculme military hospital of his wounds.

Back