• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

collecting silver paper.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I can remember up untill I was in my teens collecting silver paper and folding it up into a small flat squares for my uncle Norman. Trouble is for the life of me can I remember what for. Anyone have the answer please?. Jean.

Didn't they used to save up for Guide Dogs For The Blind? Blue Peter saved it one year for its appeal but can't remember what they were saving for

Do you know Dwilly it could have been for that but I'm going back to when I was about ten. Jean.

Reckon so only all I could remember my uncle doing was taking it into work for someone at the HP sauce factory. More than likely for the same cause. Thankd. Jean.

I can remember collecting and washing milk bottle tops for the Guide Dogs for the Blind.
I had a huge bag that I filled and someone would collect it.

All in a good cause. Wonder if the kids would do that today? I hope so

BSA Guns, Shirley, 1989, the Toolmakers were parceling up the silver paper they had collected, Joseph (Joe) Teleky boss (Who came over to GB from Brno with the Bren gun) of the Toolroom came in and asked "Why are you collecting siver paper?", "For a blind dog" was the reply, "Why would any one want a blind dog?" said Joe, the toolmakers tried not to laugh. Len.

G G Jean, We all need a laugh in our lives its what keeps us off the anti depressant pills!: Off topic, Joe went for a driving test " Read the Reg No on that car please" said the Tester, "Is it 25yds away?" said Joe and proceeded to check it with a tape measure!, he failed his test for some reason, he was good man and Boss. Len.

Thats a good one Len. Can't repeat what my son Steve said when he bumped the car during his test. It was as soon as he drove out of the Dyas testing center. He thought he'd failed so just drove round without a worry. Guess what. He passed first time as well. Jean.

Regarding the collection of silver paper, I too seem to think it was for Guide Dogs for The Blind. Barry.

Just phoned my cousin uncle Normans daughter and she said he used to have bags full of the stuff and she thinks it was someone at work who organised it for guide dogs for the blind. Jean.

Back