• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cobbled Streets Of Birmingham

I don't know about Hingeston Street, except it is in the Jewellery Quarter, but I agree with Richard about the skill levels. Many canal tunnels and bridges have the bricks laid diagonally probably for strength and to display the skills of the bricklayers.
Derek
Stokkie,
Hingeston St was not in Jewellery Quarter.
Coming from the City on 96 bus, It would travel (still does) along Frederick St at Warstone Lane clock it would turn left.
If you went straight on that's Vyse St you would be in heart of Jewellery Quarter.

Turning left at clock, you are on Warstone Lane the cemetery on your right I remember walking down this street in the 50's holding my mother hand tight then it was lit by gas lamps.
At the bottom of the hill you would turn right cross Icknield St to your right was the Mint.
You are now on Hingeston St you are in Hockley the Jewellery Quarter is behind you.
The 96 would go onto Winson Green.
Hope this was helpful if I can add any thing else please ask.

Nick Phillips

Last edited:
Stokkie,
Hingeston St was not in Jewellery Quarter.
Coming from the City on 96 bus, It would travel (still does) along Frederick St at Warstone Lane clock it would turn left.
If you went straight on that's Vyse St you would be in heart of Jewellery Quarter.

Turning left at clock, you are on Warstone Lane the cemetery on your right I remember walking down this street in the 50's holding my mother hand tight then it was lit with gas lamps.
At the bottom of the hill you would turn right cross Icknield St to your right was the Mint.
You are now on Hingeston St you are in Hockley the Jewellery Quarter is behind you.
The 96 would go onto Winson Green.
Hope this was helpful if I can add any thing else please ask.

Nick Phillips
Thanks Nick, appreciated. Too casual a glance at the map! And I know that you could get to it from Warstone Lane, which I do know. Your route is well described.

Derek

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, appreciated. Too casual a glance at the map! And I know that you could get to it from Warstone Lane, which I do know. Your route is well described.

Derek
Derek, If my memory correct, Hingeston Street, was also a cobbled street but it was fifty-five years since I moved from the area.
It was my child hood area and occasionally I enjoy a walk in the area. If you knew the area you can see where the old streets were its a pity they just changed street names.

Nick Phillips.

Hi,

Back in the 1960's and early 70s I sometimes used the 96 bus which went down Hingeston Street,
and I was struck by the fan shaped patterns which were in some areas of the cobbles which formed
part of the street.
This suggested that at the time when they were laid down the street must have consisted of
high quality houses, so did Hingeston Street predate the housing which was there in the 60s/70's?

Kind regards
Dave
Dave, this is was childhood area back in the 50s. The area had many different types of housing. Some were back to back houses. Some even had a garden. I remember our house only had one cold water tap an outside toilet, a coal fire in winter that kept one room warm in the winter. A cold house in winter was normal.
Hingeston Street had around ten shops four pubs a toy shop, Wilks chemist, an off licence that became a betting shop, two newsagents. A good butchers on corner Prescott St / Hingeston St, I cant remember name but a large groceries shop close to Ellen St ( it seemed large when I was a child ) and on corner of Icknield St was café.

It was a rather poor area, but if you lived in the area no one knew any different so nobody stood out.

Nick Phillips

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for the info. My recollections were from the middle 60's to the early 70s
when I worked at R. Whites just up the road. I remember getting an Xmas turkey from the
management one Xmas, and it was just as slaughtered. One of the staff who lived locally
took it to a local butchers to be dressed and I'm sure it was the one on the corner of Prescott St.

By that time I think the road was in a pretty poor state, and those decorative patterns
in the cobbles just stood out.

Kind regards
Dave

Another cobbled street: Holland Street

0_Holland-Street-Jewellery-Quarter-4.jpg

Back