• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coaching Inns in the 19th century

Richarddye

master brummie
I gather the stagecoach left from the Lion Hotel in Shrewsbury. Its main journey presumably would be along Watling Street - the A5.
There were probably many coaching inns in Birmingham, most are mentioned in one of the many thread here.
RR, that is a really great article! So much interesting history about the mail service!

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sensible move in the current climate Harlechjoe. Meanwhile if we can be of any more help, you know where we are. Viv.

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
As I approach the final chapter in my life, Cycling that has been my passion for almost all my 86 years (almost now 87),and will continue to be, I love to read others and share my exploits. As a youngster in Birmingham after the war I rode many of the roads you have in Wales.89233400_10158289940538392_6001400825388204032_n (1).jpg

Pedrocut

Master Barmy
As I approach the final chapter in my life, Cycling that has been my passion for almost all my 86 years (almost now 87),and will continue to be, I love to read others and share my exploits. As a youngster in Birmingham after the war I rode many of the roads you have in Wales.View attachment 143032
Still overtaking those cars I see, or am I on the wrong side of the road.

Richarddye

master brummie
Co
As I approach the final chapter in my life, Cycling that has been my passion for almost all my 86 years (almost now 87),and will continue to be, I love to read others and share my exploits. As a youngster in Birmingham after the war I rode many of the roads you have in Wales.View attachment 143032
Congratulations Oldbrit, I loved to ride and am going to re start because of you! I mean that most sincerely. Thank you for the motivation!

Richarddye

master brummie
Co

Congratulations Oldbrit, I loved to ride and am going to re start because of you! I mean that most sincerely. Thank you for the motivation!

To Oldbrit, this is me a few weeks before my 16th birthday almost 60 years ago. We were in Devon Youth hosteling. My bike was a Viking Severn Valley that was so important to me I kept it in my bedroom! I'm nearly 77 so you have ten good one ahead of me.

1584659146579.png

oldbrit

OldBrit in Exile
Great pic Richard. Do you still have that Viking what year was the bike, the saddle a Brooks? did you race at all belong to a club?

Morturn

Super Moderator
I too started to ride a bike again about ten years ago, one of the best things I have done to improve my health and wellbeing. I ride a hybrid bike and tend to do a lot of canals, old railway and use the Sustrans network.

Richarddye

master brummie
Unfortunately no with the bike, wish I had! I bought the bike from HV Powell who lived on the next street to me in I think 1957. The saddle was Manfield.

i belonged to Birmingham Mercury for a while. Used to ride 25 mile time trials and did a few 75 (I think). Also did a couple of 144 massed starts. Used to carry my racing wheels on my bike at the front to a race. Avon tubs on Fiamme rims with Campagnolo hubs. We used to change at a canal lock. Avon was very generous with their tyres especially when I did well which I was lucky to do as a junior.

Buying the racing wheels was a big step for me as I was working part time at a butcher shop and money was scarce. However riding a trade bike 4 days a week delivering meet was the best training I could have!

Stay well me friend!

Great pic Richard. Do you still have that Viking what year was the bike, the saddle a Brooks? did you race at all belong to a club?

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thread is part of the Birmingham History section and concerns a proposal to follow a historic route, but If you wish to discuss bicycles generally, could you please do so in the general discussion section .