• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

As a kid in the 70s I remember wearing what we called Bumpers which were very cheap baseball boots that I think came from Woolworths. Years later when my kids wanted the same things but with “Converse“ written on them I couldn’t believe the price. I had a snorkel parka that would zip up so the hood projected out maybe 5” in front of my face, goodness knows what that was about because it stopped me having any peripheral vision at all, it’s a wonder I didn’t get run over. It was made by a brand called “Lord Anthony“ as I recall. “Simon” brand shirts, cheesecloth shirts and high waisted, baggy trousers that had huge pockets on the legs and lots of buttons on the waist. I was surprised to discover that some of my favourite childhood shoes are still sold, and are still made in the same place in the Czech Republic...Monkey Boots! What I’d give to wake up young again, eat a bowl of Golden Nuggets while watching Tiswas, pull on my monkey boots and head out on my Raleigh Rodeo again
IMG_8298.png

I wore a parka, end of school, beginning of college. It was compulsory, because I drove a Lambretta. (LD 150).

A bit more up to date, but far enough back to be a memory. When we were looking after caravan sites in the UK, part of the uniform was quite heavy trousers, with the front of each leg having a finely stitched line where a pressed crease would be. Never had such before or since.
Andrew.

I wore a parka, end of school, beginning of college. It was compulsory, because I drove a Lambretta. (LD 150).

A bit more up to date, but far enough back to be a memory. When we were looking after caravan sites in the UK, part of the uniform was quite heavy trousers, with the front of each leg having a finely stitched line where a pressed crease would be. Never had such before or since.
Andrew.
my uniform in the 70s had a stitched crease it saved on soap:grinning:

Last edited:
As a kid in the 70s I remember wearing what we called Bumpers which were very cheap baseball boots that I think came from Woolworths. Years later when my kids wanted the same things but with “Converse“ written on them I couldn’t believe the price. I had a snorkel parka that would zip up so the hood projected out maybe 5” in front of my face, goodness knows what that was about because it stopped me having any peripheral vision at all, it’s a wonder I didn’t get run over. It was made by a brand called “Lord Anthony“ as I recall. “Simon” brand shirts, cheesecloth shirts and high waisted, baggy trousers that had huge pockets on the legs and lots of buttons on the waist. I was surprised to discover that some of my favourite childhood shoes are still sold, and are still made in the same place in the Czech Republic...Monkey Boots! What I’d give to wake up young again, eat a bowl of Golden Nuggets while watching Tiswas, pull on my monkey boots and head out on my Raleigh Rodeo again
View attachment 183670
Converse is owned by Nike, they have done an excellent job of creating almost a cult following. High price low value with almost no content! They make a fortune with them!

Andrew.
I had a friend who always wore those…..somehow I could never find them!

Excellent memory joggers did anyone own a patchwork jumper. I purchased a pair of beetle crushers from Freeman Hardy Willis in Brum City Centre in the 70s and with the size of the soles and my feet size i must have looked like Herman Munster. I remember the uppers were synthetic. Penny round shirts and Oxford bags. Two tone trousers amd Levis Staypress. Brum had a large selection of clothing and footwear shops. Keep jogging the old grey matter.

I remember a craze for college scarves.
Plead guilty to that one

I am guilty too. I still have mine, and Julie was allowed to have one as well by close association. A bit delicate now, (the scarves). They hold memories for us, and sometimes get taken out of the wardrobe.

scarves on malvern hills.jpg
This is one of those memories. On the Malvern Hills with friends. About 1970/1

Andrew.

Excellent memory joggers did anyone own a patchwork jumper. I purchased a pair of beetle crushers from Freeman Hardy Willis in Brum City Centre in the 70s and with the size of the soles and my feet size i must have looked like Herman Munster. I remember the uppers were synthetic. Penny round shirts and Oxford bags. Two tone trousers amd Levis Staypress. Brum had a large selection of clothing and footwear shops. Keep jogging the old grey matter.
Yes, Nelson House every Friday (pay day) to get a shirt or trousers , Oxford bags then Prince of Wales check, loafers, Jaytex shirts, which evolved to Ben Sherman, and Fred Perry.

Back