• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clock Garage. Castle Bromwich

valeboy

knowlegable brummie
I see the Clock Garage has now been demolished, it will take a fair time for the locals of the Castle Bromwich area to stop using it as a reference point when giving directions etc. It stood there for as long as I can remember.

It's a sad fact valeboy. The Clock Garage was a key meet up place for so many people. Car rallies, cycle groups, etc. Hopefully, it will always be remembered.

Terminus for BCT buses years ago, past that point you had to take a Midland Red.
I think that like many other places the area will be referred to by its old name,
the Clock.
I always call the junction of Chester Rd and Gravelly lane , the Pavilion and the Pavilion hasn't been there for donkeys years.

The Clock Garage was where I bought my first decent car, a ford cortina £450 if I remember correctly, back in the 60's. As Alberta says, it will always be known as the Clock for years to come.

Terry

The clock garage being built and later in it's prime. I wonder what they are going to build there now?

Attachments

• Castle Bromwich Clock Garage (2).jpg
    Castle Bromwich Clock Garage (2).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Castle Bromwich Clock Garage.JPG
    Castle Bromwich Clock Garage.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 112
Great pictures, it is also interesting to see the Firs Estate being built in the background. It's been a bad week for old garages, the Saab Garage on Eachelhurst Road facing Pype Hayes Park was flattened this week, I think this was where the Number 66 Bus terminated.

The actual Clock Garage is still in business, it is the adjoining property which was a Peugot and used car sales lot for many years that has been demolished.

They knocked that down quickly, when I went past 3 weeks ago, it was all boarded up and looked a sorry sight.
Have to agree, it will always be the Clock to me!
Sue

Thank god it was still there when we visited in 2011 or I think we would still be trying to find our way round Birmingham.we were only trying to get from the air port to Acocks Green figure that out.

Another bit of my personal history gone. Both the SAAB Garage & the Clock were landmarks. I was nearly in tears last week when I went to Cofton Hackett along the Bristol Rd, so many changes...........

Pete, the Bristol Road has changed beyond recognition round Rubery hasn't it? I learnt to drive up and down there, did my mental health placement at Rubery Hill, now I get lost there!
Sue

It was great watching all the building going on during the 60s-early 70s, Roads, Housing etc, it seemed to stop late 70s with not much happening for three decades, we now seem to be entering an era of demolition. I suppose the 60s were the tail end of post war regeneration.

clock castle brom
image.jpg

image William Dargue

Back