• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre pubs

Hi Astoness,

What about the Filibuster, great pub of the 70's with an excellent atmosphere, which played "decent music" unlike the mainstream music that was essentially for teenies.

Lozellian. Hi there the Filibuster was a great pub it had 2 levels and was done in a hawaiian theme , i use to go there late 60s to early 70s i could,nt wait to go there on a Friday night i met a nice girl there Jo Bird from Erdington she was brill . Raz

Susan I only went into the Mulberry bush a couple of times , did you use it regularly ?
Yes we did, before we were married. Late 60s. It had a great atmosphere. It was one of many pubs for us in the town, we would always call in before our meal at the Chopsticks, the cinema or the West End. I lived in Gopsal Street, so it was only a stones throw away. Even before I was old enough to drink I frequented town often. A proper uptown gal you could say. Lol. Regards,

Yes we did, before we were married. Late 60s. It had a great atmosphere. It was one of many pubs for us in the town, we would always call in before our meal at the Chopsticks, the cinema or the West End. I lived in Gopsal Street, so it was only a stones throw away. Even before I was old enough to drink I frequented town often. A proper uptown gal you could say. Lol. Regards,

I loved the West End , brilliant place . Rumour went around the Birmingham Suite Dale End was it's replacement , what a joke that turned out to be , lifeless if not dead no atmosphere at all

I was a student at Aston University 1975-1978 and regularly drank in the city centre but cannot remember the names of all the pubs. Remember the obvious ones like the Shakespeare, Temple bar and the Midland hotel but there are lots of names I have forgot. Could you please look up for me in the 1974 Kelly's the city centre pubs which are listed. In particular I remember one in 1975 which had a big banner outside which said " Hey Dublin, the Fonz says cool it". I think this pub was near the new street/ corporation street junction but I cannot be certain. Any help would be much appreciated.
pot of beer union mill general woolfe e t c

The Mulberry Bush became The Rotunda after 1974 and The Tavern in the Town became The Yard of Ale I believe. The other pubs in town that I often used were the Windsor, Parasol, Parisian, Costermonger, Cabin, Old Contemptibles, Crown (Broad St), Ben Johnson and Turks Head. I used a few in the 70s/80's! ;)

The Windsor had a nice first floor (when it was open), the lounge at the rear was our usual haunt. I remember the sawdust floor of the bar, you don't see bars like that these days. ;)

The West End Bar in Snow Hill was previously known as The Filibuster. I discovered this photograph of the entrance to the doorway of The Filibuster recently (don't know who the men are or what year it was taken). This is the only photo I have found of The Filibuster I have found.

The Filibuster.jpg

The Post Office Vaults, which the last time I was in Brum was a great real ale pub was around under another name when I frequented the city centre in the late 60s/early 70s. Layout wise it was still exactly the same, a classic "cellar pub". I just can't remember what it was called back in the day.

The Post Office Vaults, which the last time I was in Brum was a great real ale pub was around under another name when I frequented the city centre in the late 60s/early 70s. Layout wise it was still exactly the same, a classic "cellar pub". I just can't remember what it was called back in the day.
It was the pub in Pinfold Street wasn't it - I went in a few times years ago but couldn't remember the name however, I've found this on the Closed Pubs website....

birmingham_b2_royalmail.jpg

Where was that situated then JJ ?

• Appreciate
Reactions: tgm
It used to be "The Royal Mail".

A Sparks well done I remember that very well , I was wondering if that was the one JJ meant
Yes. That's the one. Soon as I saw A Sparks picture it came back to me. You could enter it from New Street as we
Where was that situated then JJ ?
New St/Pinfold Street. There were two entrances with steps going down into a cellar bar. Still the same layout with the replacement pub on my last visit in 2018. Cellar bars were quite popular in the city centre back in the 60s and 70s.

Back