• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre pubs

Just found out that the pub near the bottom of Corporation street near new street which was subject at the start of this thread was Yates's Wine Lodge

Yates Wine Lodge and the Bodega were my late Wife and I's favourite watering holes when visiting the City centre during our 'courting' days, particular the Bodega with its large barrels of Port and Sherry behind the bar and comfortable decor. When I returned off leave or 48/72 hour pass in the 50's we would always go to one of them before winding our way to platform 7 Snowhill station for my return to camp. Eric

Me and my boozing partner sometimes started the evening off at Yates Wine Lodge. If I recall correctly, you joined a queue, bought your drink (a 'dock' of dry sherry in my case) and drank as you continued to shuffle along in the queue until you went round in a circle and were back at the bar! What a way to spend an evening! There was, I believe, a 'better class' bar upstairs, but I never had the pleasure. We stopped going there when someone got stabbed....

Big Gee

Given the date (1975) the sign is probably a reference to the pub bombings of late 74. The most obvious places for it to be would be outside the Tavern in the Town or the Mulberry Bush (the two pubs bombed). The Tavern was on New St between Corporation St and High St but I don't know when it reopened or what as (it's now the Yard of Ale, if they haven't changed the name again). It would have been one of 3 closest to the New St./Corporation St. Junction along with The Cabin at the top of the ramp/under the stairs by the station and whatever the pub on Stephenson st was ((The Gilded Cage?).
I don't think the Tavern re-opened as Bogarts but I could be wrong. I thought that was up the top by the ABC cinema.
You're quite right Wam, Bogarts was right up the other end of New Street & on the opposite side of the road.
The "Tavern In The Town" re-opened as "Teddy's" for a year or so and then became "The Yard Of Ale".

You're quite right Wam, Bogarts was right up the other end of New Street & on the opposite side of the road.
The "Tavern In The Town" re-opened as "Teddy's" for a year or so and then became "The Yard Of Ale".
The Yard Of Ale is now a Chinese Buffet joint:sour:.

Isn't that a sign of the times!... When I worked at the Co-op in High St we would go to the Yard of Ale or the Outrigger at lunchtimes.
Anyone remember Mr Bill's beer kellar in Needless Alley?

Alberts wine bar to start the night off , hole in the wall , then round to bar St Martin , the parrot which I think was in needles alley .........me an the missus did the tour on our visits to town . Haven't been into the centre of brum for well over ten years now .

Haven't seen this photograph before of The Ship Ashore. It became The Outrigger, anyone know when and the reason for the name change? Those stairs kept going up and up...

5790e1c7f0a01d17417b273b3a184592.jpg

Haven't seen this photograph before of The Ship Ashore. It became The Outrigger, anyone know when and the reason for the name change? Those stairs kept going up and up...

Hi, Barr_Beacon, Not sure when the name was changed but it was the outrigger in 1973 we had our wedding reception there. Wendy

I went in that pub a few times, I worked in the building next to it for a while, St Martin's House.
I don't know why it was called the Outrigger unless because as you say, the stairs kept going up and up, it was something to do with like climbing up a ship's mast!

The costamonger was a real stick to the floor pub, you wouldn't stay in one spot to long otherwise you'd be there all night.
But the music and atmosphere was brilliant,

hi BB just caught up with this photo...new to me as well...i wonder if the change of name to the outrigger was because just like the rigging of a ship those stairs kept going up and up... :rolleyes:

lyn

I first went to The Costermonger when I had a 'Saturday Job' at Littlewoods near to the pub in the early '70s. I loved the pub and the music played there (fantastic choice of music on the small juke box and good dj's). It had a small stuffed bear on the bar, an air shuttle game and an electronic darts machine which even then looked dated in 1974.
Oh I forgot, it also had the smallest gents toilets in Birmingham, two really was a crowd!

Hi Astoness,

What about the Filibuster, great pub of the 70's with an excellent atmosphere, which played "decent music" unlike the mainstream music that was essentially for teenies.

Lozellian.

yes lozellian i also used the fili a few times...we dont seem to get the atmosphere now as we did then...shame really..or maybe its just me getting old :rolleyes:

lyn

Back