• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

When it sops raining Dennis I shall venture into the garden (by boat) and take a photo. Don't kill anybody in the meantime!

Ivan

It's a deal Ivanovitch...phasers on stun...sorry about the forty days, forty nights rain etc 'down your way' (cue Franklin Engleman)...you may have to construct an Ark the way things are panning out....meanwhile, here's some Temple Row stuff to be going on with...first dated 1937, second from Alton's 70s and 80s Book...

Temple Row 1937.jpg Temple Row 1970.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. Yes Google Earth...it's a free download utility but needs a bit of power these days. I used to be able to post pictures from this but have not done it for a while and now, on Window 7, I can't seem to do it anymore. Maybe someone else can go to the opening to Temple Passage and post the view. Better still explain the GE process now.

Ok. Yes Google Earth...it's a free download utility but needs a bit of power these days. I used to be able to post pictures from this but have not done it for a while and now, on Window 7, I can't seem to do it anymore. Maybe someone else can go to the opening to Temple Passage and post the view. Better still explain the GE process now.
How's this ?Untitled.jpg

Here is the Google StreetView image of Temple Street and the entrance to Temple Passage. I use Google Maps rather than Google Earth. Once I have the StreetView image on screen I do a screen grab using Windows snipping tool and then save the image. Cheers, John
Temple St and Temple Passage.jpg

Great thanks. I think that you can see the older remains beyond the slab frontage mods. Even the lane cobbles seem original. Not bad for 156 years old, if correct, but the sidewalk needs a bit of attention.

Anyone know what the building is/was? The last two arches still have windows. Has the look of a chapel. Looks very interesting. Viv.

Viv - It was a Temperance Hall. Look back at this thread and you'll see some images and discussion. John

Anyone know what the building is/was? The last two arches still have windows. Has the look of a chapel. Looks very interesting. Viv.

I think that it's a god awful frontage now by the way. Should be torn off and remodelled again. Would make a few great high ceiling condos if parking could be fitted in. Can't be more central than that and just a step to the Theatre Royal for entertainment....hmmm.... what could have been.

That's such a pity, so elegant, even has, I think, a drinking fountain near the entrance. Viv.

Thanks for the fountain photo Ell. Seem to remember there is a slight difference to the statue compared to when it was first erected. Think it might be that it no longer has a drinking cup, or something similar? Viv.

It's in front of the cathedral grounds on Temple Row.

During the week there is usually a Mexican take-away vehicle there for people at lunchtimes!

Can see it better at the weekend!

Think it was moved from where ever it was originally.

This is below it

The full view

I think it has always been there at least I believe I remember it when I walked by frequently over a half century ago.

I think it has always been there at least I believe I remember it when I walked by frequently over a half century ago.
That's the only location I can recall it in too but I've heard it used to be somewhere around New Street originally.

It was outside Christ Church (until it was demolished in 1899). Colmore Row / New Street. Then moved to Temple Row.

Nice and clear Josie. As the plinth is draped in black and there are lots of floral tributes is the occasion the death of Prince Albert? Viv.

vivienne
you might be right as there is no date on the back i thought it might be queen victoria death may be someone will know
josie

Hi Josie. Think you could be right as the statue is of an older Victoria. Also the policeman is from a later era too. Must be 1901. I think the photographer has caught the sense of sadness in the policeman, end of an era .... Viv

Yup, Josie, that worked. (Seems there's some sort of celebration/commemoration going on with all those flowers.)

Back