• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Phil looking at your picture of the midlands hotel it went around 1957!8 year
But also can anybody recall the. Ame of that little alley way walk through just yards from the hotel entrance
But does anybody recall the large shop on the corner at the end of the row of shops right on the corner
I know it was a huge posh store selling pens of all discriptionsand very highly expensive fountain pens which would cost hundreds of pounds
From around the world that's all they sold some had diamonds in also high valued pocket pen knife with a diamond in the handle
What was that side street called but there front entrance to the shop was on the front of the shops
Have a nice day best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,,,,

Astonian

The passage was the Burlington Arcade, at one time it housed one of the best restaurants in Birmingham The Burlington. Looking down the passage on the right hand side junction with New Street was a men's outfitters on the left hand side was a jewellers that was owned by a few different jewellers but in the 60's it was owned by Watches of Switzerland I think it still is. I only know because in the 60's I splashed out on a Cartier Santos for the wife that cost me an arm and a leg from there.

Upland bing copy.jpgUpland House copy.jpg

OK, this is a tricky one...nearly City Centre...in Upland Road, Selly Park, but I'm sure the police will move me along if it's not near enough to qualify...so, my query is this...going up this road (no pun intended) to see son and heir who lives in Selly Oak, I pass this fascinating large property (UPLAND HOUSE carved nicely on the impressive stone gate entrance pillars, and am minded to think maybe it has some 'relevant to us history'.....it looks like it should, if you know what I mean...had a Road named after it, etc...I know I thought, I'll ask the wizzos on BHF...so, here I am, anyone know of anything that might interest an old Brummy Historian surrounding this mansion?

Last edited:
Dennis how far up the uplands are we talking of and which side of the road could it have been on as I have a couple of answers for possible
And what year are you referring to this possible because there was quite area well known names in that
Period that .lived up there that was connected to Birmingham
It as to be at least the half way up uplands and the right hand side going up if its the very top of uplands on the right hand
And more or less facing the church it was an hotel and below there was a mansion house with a big lake in it
And the couple had three house cleaners and three gardeners to maintain the grounds
On the other side of the road at the very top of uplands facing that hotel on the opersite corner was the convent for the nuns
But the big house was a Mr and Mrs Filmore he was a architect for Birmingham they lived there all there life right up to there old age
Below them was the smarts circus family pat smart in fact but the three with the front post was the three I have mentionioned
The filmlres was the oldest family.y to live in uplands it was a very grand house when they died in the eighths
An Asian doctor bought it and wanted to turn it into a nursing home but could not be allowed by the councillors
And the neibour hood objected to it
The one at the top of the road on the corner facing the church wascopperfield house and the owners at one time bristol court hotel
Bristol road whom wanted to purchase it but could not meet the asking price and was out bidded for it
So he sold the bristol court hotel was sold to a big named guy whom I will not mention used to come by helicopter to the court daily
But as you see its all gone he sold it on because of the clearance of pebble mill the BBC there grounds used to back on to it and they kept horses
In the grounds that reached back to the BBC astonian

Dennis
Lookingat google it seems to me like "The Uplands" written on the gatepost.This would fit with the name on the c1890 OS map. This has been theresince at least 1867, as it is listed from then till 1915 as being the home of CharlesWinn. In 1921 it is occupied by Arnold Butler. In the 1911 census Charles (aged82 and married to Emma) described himself as a manufacturer of screw andfittings for Ale & Water, and the firm still seems to exist, manufacturingbrass and other items. He is listed as belonging to the firm of Winn & Roeat 10 Broad StIslington (this was when Broad Stwas in 2 parts) in the 1862 directory , and seemed then to have lived in TyndallSt. By 1867 ne is living at the Uplands, and continues there for the rest ofhis life. By 1867 the firm is Charles Winn& Co, still at 10 broad St Islington, and are glass,lead, oil & colour merchants and manufacturersof plumbers brass work and gas and steam fittings. Between the 1868 and 1872directories they have moved to Wood st, and stay there till between 1880 and1882, when they move to 140 Granville St. There range expands to include glassmanufacturing, beer pumps sanitary appliances and, by 1900, chandeliers. Beloware three adverts from directories of 1872, 1882 and 1884.

advert_1872_PO_directory.jpg

advert_from_1882_kellys.jpg

advert_1884_Kellys.jpg

Dennis how far up the uplands are we talking of and which side of the road could it have been on as I have a couple of answers for possible
And what year are you referring to this possible because there was quite area well known names in that
Period that .lived up there that was connected to Birmingham
It as to be at least the half way up uplands and the right hand side going up if its the very top of uplands on the right hand
And more or less facing the church it was an hotel and below there was a mansion house with a big lake in it
And the couple had three house cleaners and three gardeners to maintain the grounds
On the other side of the road at the very top of uplands facing that hotel on the opersite corner was the convent for the nuns
But the big house was a Mr and Mrs Filmore he was a architect for Birmingham they lived there all there life right up to there old age
Below them was the smarts circus family pat smart in fact but the three with the front post was the three I have mentionioned
The filmlres was the oldest family.y to live in uplands it was a very grand house when they died in the eighths
An Asian doctor bought it and wanted to turn it into a nursing home but could not be allowed by the councillors
And the neibour hood objected to it
The one at the top of the road on the corner facing the church wascopperfield house and the owners at one time bristol court hotel
Bristol road whom wanted to purchase it but could not meet the asking price and was out bidded for it
So he sold the bristol court hotel was sold to a big named guy whom I will not mention used to come by helicopter to the court daily
But as you see its all gone he sold it on because of the clearance of pebble mill the BBC there grounds used to back on to it and they kept horses
In the grounds that reached back to the BBC astonian

Fascinating stuff as usual Alan...you are an amazing source of info that never fails to amaze me! The exact location is marked on the Bing Map...going up the Road, it is the last Big House on the left hand side...on the corner with Selly Park Road.....thanks again anyway...very useful...sounds like it was The Filmires who owned it...

Dennis
Lookingat google it seems to me like "The Uplands" written on the gatepost.This would fit with the name on the c1890 OS map. This has been theresince at least 1867, as it is listed from then till 1915 as being the home of CharlesWinn. In 1921 it is occupied by Arnold Butler. In the 1911 census Charles (aged82 and married to Emma) described himself as a manufacturer of screw andfittings for Ale & Water, and the firm still seems to exist, manufacturingbrass and other items. He is listed as belonging to the firm of Winn & Roeat 10 Broad StIslington (this was when Broad Stwas in 2 parts) in the 1862 directory , and seemed then to have lived in TyndallSt. By 1867 ne is living at the Uplands, and continues there for the rest ofhis life. By 1867 the firm is Charles Winn& Co, still at 10 broad St Islington, and are glass,lead, oil & colour merchants and manufacturersof plumbers brass work and gas and steam fittings. Between the 1868 and 1872directories they have moved to Wood st, and stay there till between 1880 and1882, when they move to 140 Granville St. There range expands to include glassmanufacturing, beer pumps sanitary appliances and, by 1900, chandeliers. Beloware three adverts from directories of 1872, 1882 and 1884.

advert_1884_Kellys.jpg

Brilliant sleuthing Mike, as per....you are an ace mate..cheers....fascinating stuff...

Corporation Street - I dont think this has been on before

Corporation Street Birmingham.JPG

Attachments

• Corporation Street Birmingham.jpg
    Corporation Street Birmingham.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Good photos Carolina. I particularly like the thumbnail one showing the Old Square - not seen that one before. Judy

Dennis

advert_1884_Kellys.jpg
I worked in a drop forge place years ago the factory was called Winn Timmins and they made hand tools , pliers and grips etc . I think it was in Commercial Street but I'm not sure certainly somewhere close , they traded under Heart Brand , I wonder if this was the same Winn

Here's an old photo celebrating Queen Victoria's visit to Birmingham in 1858. It is taken looking along Paradise Street toward Victoria Square. I'm a little worried concerning the date of the photo as it seems excellent quality for a photo that early. although Queen Victoria did visit Birmingham that year to open Aston Hall as a museum in that year.

I wondered if this photo like so many others could have been dated in error and was in fact the later visit in 1887 when she laid the foundation stone of the Victoria Law Courts on Corporation St?

Attachments

• City Paradise St Queen Victorias Visit To Bham 1858  (19).JPG
    City Paradise St Queen Victorias Visit To Bham 1858 (19).JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 100
I would agree Phil looks like a sepia type picture so much later than 1858, although looking at the clothing ladies with the earlier "bonnet" and slimmer crinoline, and men with the "Smock dress coat" could be earlier??

phil i also think that the photo is far too good to be dated 1858 but just an opinion i can see a man wearing a top hat...i think the location is right as that looks like christ church in the distance which was built in 1805 and demolished in 1899..town hall on the left which opened in 1834 all of which does not really help us with a definate date for the pic

lyn

Last edited:
William Dargue gives this explanation
Paradise is a fairly common field and farm name. The word came into Middle English from the Greek translation of the Bible (Book of Genesis) where it is used of the Garden of Eden. It had a variety of related meanings from 'enclosure' to 'park' to 'garden' and was used for such until the 18th century.
https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-p/paradise/

Difficult to ascertain whether the photograph of Queen Victoria's visit, in post 1588, was in 1858 or 1887. The visit in 1858 was on June 19th and included a reception at the Town Hall before going for lunch at Aston Hall. The visit was "on a lovely sunny day". The shadows indicate that the photograph was taken in the morning, which coincides with the pre-lunch reception at the Town Hall. Open carriages also suggest a fine day. Would have expected some blurring of the moving figures for a photograph in 1858. The 1887 visit was on 23rd March and also included a visit to the Town Hall, but I don't know at what time of day. I've seen just one photograph of the 1887 visit and the carriages are closed. That could of course be due to a sudden shower of rain. I think the clothes tend to lean towards 1858 but I'm not an expert in Victorian dress. Dave

I think that you will find that Queen Victoria visited the city and Aston Park in 1897. This was the year of her Golden Jubilee and again, I think her visit to Aston Park was to also
celebrate the handing over of the Park and Hall to the City of Birmingham as a public park. These events are easily checked for accuracy. Apologies if I have got my facts wrong.

See below. The top image (albeit a drawing) is of the 1858 visit compared with Phil's photo below it. The 1858 drawing seems to have a lot less decoration around the Town Hall entrance than the photo seems to show. And there's a vertical pole with banners/flags which I can't see on the photo. All the flags on the photo seem to be flying from the usual horizontal flag poles. The Landau's all seem to be black in the photo, whilst the 1858 drawing suggests a pale paintwork. Could be wrong though, as it's difficult to make out details in the photo. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405785900.975144.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think the biggest give away is the "Gas standard lamp", I don't think street lighting with gas was introduced till the mid late 1860's.

According to Ashton & Gill's "history of Birmingham", the centre of birmingham was first lit by gas in 1818, though this is a bit vague. However the Birmingham Gazette on 13.10.1845 suggests the erection of a central gas light in Broad St, similar to that already present in Ann St, so there must have been some regular gas lighting before the 1860s. that said, I would have expected more blurred movement from an 1858 photo

Birm__Gazette__13_10_1845.jpg

I've looked at this photo again and am leaning more heavily to 1858. The men in the foreground have very high-crowned top hats. They started to go out of fashion at around 1860. They are similar to the type of top hat in the famous portrait of Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1857. Also found the route and time taken by the Queen for her visit in 1887. The carriages for the guests were in Colmore Row and Congreve Street with the horses heads pointing towards Paradise Street. They exited via Hill Street. The light and shadows also more indicate a morning in June (1858), rather than early afternoon in March (1887). Looking at other photographs taken around 1858, it does seem possible that a good photo could be taken in good light and with a camera mounted on a tripod from a roof-top.

#1588 iQUOTE=Phil;527439]Here's an old photo celebrating Queen Victoria's visit to Birmingham in 1858. It is taken looking along Paradise Street toward Victoria Square. I'm a little worried concerning the date of the photo as it seems excellent quality for a photo that early. although Queen Victoria did visit Birmingham that year to open Aston Hall as a museum in that year.

I wondered if this photo like so many others could have been dated in error and was in fact the later visit in 1887 when she laid the foundation stone of the Victoria Law Courts on Corporation St?[/QUOTE]

Is that the cooks travel office which was on this thread some weeks ago??, the one uncovered by building work or demolition?

Back