• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

Viv

Here is an old map that is closer to the times of the photo, also a photo of the Colonnade Hotel running the whole length of Ethel Street.

Attachments

• Stephenson St.JPG
    Stephenson St.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 69
  • City New St Colonnade Hotel.jpg
    City New St Colonnade Hotel.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Phil. Now understand. This is the up to date view of the first pic in post #1142 The car park on the right (blue signage) where the two men are standing is called the Colonnade Car Park. So that would be roughly the back of the hotel on Stephenson Street.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356889813.619370.jpg

Comparing the early photo #1142 with #1155 would never have imagined there was a pub behind those gates.
Viv.

Why did I make a bet with myself that Phil would be sure to know? What a sleuth, and the fount of complete Brummie wisdom...cheers my old pal..I can sleep now...BUT, for the full prize, can he name the horse standing at the top of the Street?

Last edited:
"Lonesome"! But actually I don't think he is- looks like he's attached to a cab, maybe having his break and a bag of oats. Or is that my imagination? Dennis do you remember if the newspaper article made any connection between the Stephenson Street photo and the photo of the gent? Just wondered if they're connected. Viv.

"Lonesome"! But actually I don't think he is- looks like he's attached to a cab, maybe having his break and a bag of oats. Or is that my imagination? Dennis do you remember if the newspaper article made any connection between the Stephenson Street photo and the photo of the gent? Just wondered if they're connected. Viv.

Not sure Viv, don't remember any links being mentioned...and I can't find the bit I copied from for love nor money to check!!! Anyway, after Phil's sterling work and map of that area, more of the Theatre Royal 'Pit Bar' for interest. Taken around the same time..1900ish. Plus 1889 map...

Pit Bar 1.jpg Pit Bar 2.jpg Pit Bar 3.jpg Pit Bar 4.jpgEthel St Map.jpg

Last edited:
the pictures above, and others including some of backstage at the royal (though these do not show much) are from the University of Bristol theatre collection,at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/theatrecollection/search/advanced_report_all?boolean_string1=lantern%20slide&boolean1=and&boolean_string2=&ref_no=&query_image=Yes&collection_type=all&image_view=Yes.html , though you have to scroll down a lot . the collection is also of interest in that , if you have ever wondered what sort of things were shown at magic lantern sessions, before the age of the cinema, then a selection of some of them are shown here.

We might as well see a couple of photos of the frontage of the theatre along with a couple more of the interior and a final one of it's sad demise.

Attachments

• City Interior Theatre Royal New St.JPG
    City Interior Theatre Royal New St.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 57
  • City New St Theatre Royal Demolition 1956.JPG
    City New St Theatre Royal Demolition 1956.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 56
  • City New St Theatre Royal Last Night 1956.JPG
    City New St Theatre Royal Last Night 1956.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 59
  • City New Street Theatre Royal.JPG
    City New Street Theatre Royal.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Theatre Royal.jpg
    Theatre Royal.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 1,339
What a great collection of photos of the theatre everyone. Hadn't realised until now how big the place was and how much it seems to have catered for the working man. Was trying to work out what the picture is of above the Pit bar? Doesn't look familiar.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356963905.605132.jpg

Thanks Dennis, maybe the gent in your photo was something to do with the Theatre. Oh I so love to speculate ...... ! Viv.

Viv

It might be an early drawing or painting of the Exchange in Stephenson Place?

Attachments

• City Stephenson Place Exchange Building.JPG
    City Stephenson Place Exchange Building.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 26
Think that looks about right Phil. Thanks. The picture would be pre the Midland Bank/ Waterstones building. There's a photo of the laying of the first stone for the re-building of Midland Bank on the corner or Stephenson's Place. It shows a flat area where the georgian (Birmingham) Midland Bank had been demolished in readiness for the new Victorian bank. Must have been a significant event to have a picture of it hanging in the bar. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356968929.864521.jpg

The horse is a stalwart Birmingham History forum sleuther, Viv. He's sniffing about round the back of the Colonnade hotel on the Trail of the LONESOME Pina Colonnada.......

...I'll get me coat!

Just for completeness, here's the notes from the Bham Theatres Book by Patrick Baird...plus some interesting pics plundered from cuppateabiscuit's superb Georgian and Regency Blogspot...she tells quite a story....

THEATRE ROYAL

The Theatre Royal, situated in New Street, was built in 1774, and was twice destroyed by fire and rebuilt. In 1780, a superb portico was erected and it was pronounced 'one of the finest theatres in Europe'. At its completion it was known as the 'Theatre in New Street'.

On the morning of 17 August 1792, it was deliberately burnt down. The proprietors offered a reward to bring the criminals to justice, but without success. They rebuilt it, and in 1795 there arose a 'new building which was thought at the time to be of elegance and grandeur not equalled by any in the Provinces'. Macready, the father of the great Charles Macready, was given the job of manager. He was already known as a player and writer, having won great success at Covent Garden, and (what was rare in those days) had saved a great fortune. Under his regime leading players of the day appeared in rapid succession, among whom were Mrs Siddons, her brother, John Philip Kemble, the 'Infant Roscius' (Master W.H. Betty) and Charles Kemble.

On the retirement of the elder Macready in 1813, Robert William Elliston became the lessee, and in 1814 Edmund Kean again appeared in Birmingham, no longer a poor strolling player, but a famous actor, fresh from amazing success in London.

Disaster occurred again in 1820 when the theatre was destroyed by fire after a performance of Sheridan's Pizzaro. Only the facade remained, but in six months it was rebuilt with a large stage and seating for 2,500 people- it remained unchanged until the beginning of the twentieth century. Prior to 1834, the evening concerts in connection with the Triennial Music Festivals were given in this theatre, and the 1840s saw the success of the first great pantomime, called Harlequin and the Knights of the Silver Shield, or The Goblin Mill. This gave rise to those great Christmas shows that we love today. It was again entirely rebuilt in 1902-4 and when it closed and demolished in 1956 the building was the fourth 'Theatre Royal' on the site.

Theatre royal 1.jpg Theatre royal 2.jpg
1774 Version 1800s version

Theatre royal 3.jpg Theatre royal 4.jpg
Views from Bennetts Hill - 1940s and later

Theatre Royal 5.jpg
Final chapter..

read more here if you want it...

https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Theatre Royal

https://birminghamstreets.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/ALL PHOTOGRAPHS

On both the 1774 and 1800 Theatre Royal pictures you can see to the right and set back...the New Royal Hotel. There are pictures of this hotel showing extended wings on the front, up to the New Street curb and a long portico in between. I can't see how the left wing could have ever been there...the space for it being taken up by the theatre. Anyway it would appear that the right front wing was there and immediately to the right of this was Ethel Street. This plot later to be occupied by The Collonade hotel.

Hi Dennis,
This addition was perfect timing, as I had a post ready to put up today exploring the inside of the new theatre when it opened after the first fire... https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/a-visit-to-brand-new-theatre-1794.html

Rupert, at the time of the images above the building to the right was not yet the hotel, that opened in 1830. It had originally been the house of Joseph Green (link below), a prominent and wealthy man who had dealings in the theatre, and there is a little bit about him with regards to that at the second link, below.

https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/portugal-house-new-street.html

https://mappingbirmingham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/a-new-theatre-on-new-street.html

Joseph Green died in the late 1790s, and the house, for a short time, was used as a museum by one of the Bullock brothers, and then divided into two seperate houses. A large wing was added in about 1830 and the building converted into the hotel. After the hotel's closure between about 1839 and 1841 the building was converted into the post office... I have some pictures of the interior of this post office and will try and sort them out.

Could some one please explain in simple terms how I can retreive the pictures spoken about in this thread (which I suppose applies to all thumb nails). Sadly being old and new to computers I've tried all means and had no luck. I am ashamed to say I've had my computer for a year now and can only manage the very basics. Futhermore I've got 30 posts on this Forum which I find absorbing having lived in Birmingham from birth to 33yrs and then moving away as one does.

Anvilman if you read the top of the page you will see that the Forum was hacked and all the photos were deleted, but they are gradually being put back on.

Anvil man, apologies, the notice has been taken down, but that is the reason why you cannot retrieve some of the photos.

Two more on a different tack...one obvious, and shows the first entry in my favourite "Pub I Never Visited" category, and the second one I leave for you to tell me where and what...and one I did, and still do, visit occasionally...

Canal Offices  Woodman.jpg 2.jpg

On both the 1774 and 1800 Theatre Royal pictures you can see to the right and set back...the New Royal Hotel. There are pictures of this hotel showing extended wings on the front, up to the New Street curb and a long portico in between. I can't see how the left wing could have ever been there...the space for it being taken up by the theatre. Anyway it would appear that the right front wing was there and immediately to the right of this was Ethel Street. This plot later to be occupied by The Collonade hotel.

See what you mean Rupert. The New Royal Hotel, New Street around 1839.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357043385.102595.jpg

"A new hotel is also formed upon an extensive and spirited scale; the site is admirably adapted to the purpose, being in the improved and improving part of New-street, directly facing the Post Office: it takes in a vast range in front and rear, as it includes the whole of what was termed Portugal-house, and the late distillery of Mr. Wheeler, and other adjoining premises. It has received by commission, through the Duke of Wellington, the sanction of his Majesty, to bear the title of the Royal Hotel; and the proprietor, Mr. Wilday, who so ably conducted the old establishment, bearing that name, will doubtless pursue the same course, which gave such general satisfaction to his highly respectable and distinguished visitors. The old establishment of the Royal Hotel still continues: it has been taken, and is newly fitted up with great taste, by Mr. Frederick Dee, late of Wellington-road, a gentleman well suited, by his experience, spirit, and manners, to so respectable and enterprising an undertaking." (Source: Rootsweb)
Viv.

Dennis The pub you still use occasionaly would be the Temple Bar and old favourite of mine.

Dennis I don't think the photo of Paradise street does show the entrance of the White Heart, anyway a much better choice in favourite pubs I never visited would be around the corner in Easy Row.

I do love the old Temple Bar too Phil...but this really surprised me, I didn't recognise it from today's version. You can just read the name...The WINDSOR...Didn't realise it was so old...great cheap grub there now...brilliant stop off while 'She' shops...

Cannon Street  Windsor Pub 1900.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis I don't think the photo of Paradise street does show the entrance of the White Heart, anyway a much better choice in favourite pubs I never visited would be around the corner in Easy Row.

If you look at the ?Man over the door?, and consider our correspendence concerning this corner on another Planet, I thought that this WAS the Woodman entrance...never went in there...boohoo...? Have I got the wrong angle again? Ooops....will I never learn....?

Woodman.jpg

Last edited:
It seems such a small point but the left wing of the New Royal has been a quandry. From Cuppas post #1183 it was Portugal House set back and from the writing we read that 'pains were taken' to hide the humble abodes that were in between the theatre and house when it was extended with the right wing adjacent to Ethel Street. Again in Viv's post of the hotel literature I think the space was taken up with a seeming left hotel wing that was never there...again for appearances sake. Anyway the right wing was probably the most part of the hotel and it seemed to run pretty much right down Ethel St. as did the beautiful Collonade Hotel which when built filled the old Portugal House and Royal wing space. Curiousely a passage was allowed for, that ran down the left side of the Collonade (Peter Walkers favourite model shop was there) which may have removed some of the older construction between the old hotel and the theater. Although I think by that time the building may have changed prior, bringing the whole frontage up to the New Street curb.

On Viv's post #1179 you can see the long portico leading back to the old Portugal House front door...pretty much the same building seemingly with the swags at the top of the frontage and urns in place. I suspect it was the old right wing which may have been the post office on New Street for a while and I can post again a very old photo (posted on here by someone else) which just may have caught the last vestages of what might have once been the 'New Royal' before it dissappeared for ever. Great stuff. Best wishes.

Back