• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

Dennis

I have racked my brain (what little I have left) and I can think of no pub that was located in that section of Edmund Street at that time, are you thinking of the Hope and Anchor which I believe was opposite this view a little further up Edmund Street?

Not sure if it IS a pub now...I have it labelled as the White Swan, which was in Edmund St but I think on the other side of the road...there doesn't seem to be a nemed pub or hotel on the maps of the day....false alarm? Sorry. Kelly's may confirm...?

Dennis

The White Swan was and still is I believe down the other end of Edmund Street on the corner of Barwick St.

Attachments

• City Esmund Street White Swan Inn.jpg
    City Esmund Street White Swan Inn.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 56
The White Swan, which became a Berni Inn in the 70's, has sadly gone although the building still exists as part of 'Innovation House', an office complex. Of course further down Edmund Street is the 'Old Contemptibles' named after the British Expeditionary Force from the 1st World War when the Keiser called them "That comptemptible little army"

Re: City Centre Photo Album

I am also having trouble,i click on the thumbnails and nothing happens.If you get the solution,let me know.

Re: City Centre Photo Album

Hi munch! The Forum was hacked sometime in 2012 and photos were lost but you should be OK with later ones. Members have thankfully been working to restore the originals.
Enjoy browsing!!
rosie.

Phil posted this great shot in another place...never seen it before...almost didn't recognise it...can you name the corner?...not you Phil!

Junction.jpg

I wondered what that portico front was - I had assumed it was a hotel, so I got that bit right, but I was on the wrong corner!!

#1230 is down High St. in the Bull Ring. The photo #1223 is in fact where Viv says but the buildings may have changed by the time the bombs fell. Hen And Chickens portico on the left. Have not seen #1223 before...not a photo that old anyway. Possibly the damage was done by the same string of bombs. There is a more immediately after the event photo of that bombing somewhere.

Dennis

This is a better view of the High St - New Street junction (the Big Top) in 1955 before it was rebuilt.

Attachments

• City New St Big Top Site 1955.jpg
    City New St Big Top Site 1955.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 100
The hotel portico under discussion would have belonged to the then Hen & Chickens that would later be replaced by the Arden Hotel, another building criminally demolished in Birmingham's race to modernise.

Attachments

• City New St Hen & Chickens Hotel (site of Arden hotel).JPG
    City New St Hen & Chickens Hotel (site of Arden hotel).JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 85
Dennis,

Do you mean this one? As I said to you previously, the reason why they excavated so deep was to accommodate the service tunnels that ran from Moor St all under the big top site. I have had our lorries down there many times when we have worked on the various units throughout the site.

Attachments

• City New St BigTop1.[1].jpg
    City New St BigTop1.[1].jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 109
So directly ahead Phil, are we looking at what became the Rotunda/Lloyds Bank or thereabouts? Viv.

That's the one Phil, cheers. Lovely view down Worcester St, now gone for the Rotunda complex, as Viv noted...this is an opposite view..

Rotunda.jpg

Another puzzler for me. This great shot of the Stork Hotel in Corporation Street shows a road going downhill to the left of this Gothic masterpiece. Can't figure out whereabouts it was? Name of side road and 'todays' location anyone? Was it Bull St perhaps?

Stork Hotel Corporation St 1896.jpg

Dennis
As can be seen here , it is Lower Priory

map_c_1889_showing_stork_hotel.jpg

Here is an early 1900s photo of New St. right by the old King Edwards school. The entrance to the Midland Arcade can be seen immediate right. This would have been across from the Hen and Chicken's portico and indeed for a while the entrance to the Hen and Chicken's was an extended arcade with an exit/entrance down Worcester Street. Further along New St in the photo can be seen the curved arch entrance to the City? Arcade I think and these arcades linked up. There was another arcade entrance in High St. They were all covered and very Victorian. Further along New St. was the entrance to good old Union Passage. About opposite the Boveril bus and a little further past the bus on the same side as it, was good old Peck Lane just visible.
Looks like they were working on the exchange.
One of the worst aspects of the bombing was that it destroyed this arcade system before most of us would be able to experience it, however there is just a little bit remaining even now...it links Warwick Passage to Union Passage and still has the same old chandalier the last picture I saw. German bombs or not ...it would all have been scrunched now. I remember the handcarts well...they were still around. This photo was posted before by other's unknown. Maybe Phill, still won't hurt to show again.

Attachments

• New Street 1910.jpg
    New Street 1910.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 74
This has been on here before and is to do with the old/New Royal hotel and Portugal House postings. It's an old early photo of what I believe is New St at Ethel and is 1870 era by the look of the old 'knife board' horse bus. I'm not sure if that terminology is right, still, the curved staircase on the bus only became the design in 1870 and prior to that one climbed on top by a series of metal rings. Only gentlemen obviously. Anyway I believe that is indeed Ethel St. on the right and on the corner is the last sighting of what was the right wing of the New Royal Hotel. It all seems to be about to be demolished by this time and there are some anomolies in the view. The Theater Royal is along New St., just beyond, and I can't make it out for the life of me. But thinking back, in our time the frontage might not have been very prominent and it changed from time to time. The photo is an early one also...movement is not captured well. The block frontage on the building with carved writing, looks like what you would expect a Post Office might look like and the windows have dissappeared on the Ethel side of the wing. But still, these would not have been a requirement for a Post Office, which is what it became at the end. The drawings for the post office modification show a door to the post office on the Ethel side of the street and the photo shows the door on the front...taking the place of the left window on the remaining wing. Anyway the old drawings may not have been 'As Built's' and having been in engineering for 60 years...I know there is a difference.
Further to this, the building is up to the street frontage where the old long portico once was but the demolished part above is pretty much what one can see in the modification drawings...sans windows which would have dissappeared when the frontage was brought forward. Anyway hope the photo's come through. Both pictures are from previous post's by others.

Attachments

• City%20New%20St%201858%20.jpg
    City%20New%20St%201858%20.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 73
  • New Royal.jpg
    New Royal.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 58
Great photos Rupert. Here's one of the same area of New Street, and about the same time circa 1904. Note the guy cleaning the windows on the immediate right, and almost opposite, what looks like one of those tiny Regency bewigged coloured jockeys you used to see statues of outside some shops (God knows what they sold), who appears to be just about to commit suicide by jumping off the window ledge into the Street.....??? And didn't Peck Lane disappear in the 1850s?

New Street from Worcs St 1904.jpg

The building where the bloke's cleaning the windows, next to Pearsall's #9 New Street, is pinned in two places. Looks like a georgian building. Wonder if this was one of those that were cleared and re-built pre- WW2 bombing. The buildings closer to High St seem to have been cleared c.1875 re. post #1238, but this photo is 1900s. So maybe clearance of this corner was a very slowly phased process. Basically it looks like they were cleared on that corner because they were falling down.

Some great photos coming out on this thread. Viv.

Back