• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre - Corporation Street

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures are thought to date from the 1940's and 1960's.

Ian.

This is Corporation Street crossing with High Street in 1890 and was originally built between 1878 and 1882 after the clearance of the slums

Carolina, this is an interesting shot of Stephenson Place. It has the look of a 'square' which has long gone. The buildings to the right are now, I think, the ramp up to New Street Station. I don't remember there being a statue there. Anyone know who that was? Viv.

I don't know wether anyone else see's this, but don't the modern photo's make the places seem more constricted less open than the older one's, and somehow the streets look shorter?

I don't know wether anyone else see's this, but don't the modern photo's make the places seem more constricted less open than the older one's, and somehow the streets look shorter?

I had the same discussion with friends who are camera experts on a film enthusiasts site I provide a lot of the poster links for. Its very much the difference between colour and black and white shots (which i always prefer except regarding "colourful" items such as animals in their natural habitat, flowers, weather contrasts etc). Colour isn't as sharp enough to distinguish between shades and therefore colour blends in more making distances much more compact.

Thanks for the photo's Ian. I don't suppose you have one of the building on the corner of Fore Street and Corporation street?. Thanks. Jean.

glad it was'nt just me richie but I had noticed on others, although I have been away from brum for some 50yrs now, I do remember walking down broad street and it definatly was broad and very long to a 10yr old.

There may well be other reasons that make streets look more compressed or crowded now than in the past. Early photos may have been taken with shorter focal length lenses that would have had a wider field of vision, probably deliberatley used to give a greater aspect to the view.

Modern cameras usually have zoom lenses and often the photographer will use the zoom facility to compose the picture rather than step back zooming causes image compression or foreshoertening. Im not disputing your colour theory simple adding another explanation.

Re: Stephenson Place
Sorry this post is a bit late, but I remember the railed area in Stephenson Place being underground toilets in the 50's & 60's (quite smelly as well) I dont remember any statue

I had missed this thread, here are a few more photos of Corporation St through the years.

Phil

6fe50058.jpg
17a673fe.jpg

01604429.jpg
fedfd5c3.jpg

123a6f6c.jpg

Good photos Phil. I'm struggling to place photo 3. Does anyone know what replaced these buildings (assuming they're no longer there)? Viv.

Viv

Its the junction of Bull St & Corporation St, and you are looking across to where Rackhams would be built some few years later.

Phil

Viv

A few more photos of Corporation St concentrating on the same junction.

Phil

8e9fce2d.jpg
293ba6ec.jpg

bdaada6e.jpg
c7b838e7.jpg

7a671c26.jpg

Oh yes now I have it! I certainly recognise photos # 1 & 2. # 3 is an interesting view, again almost unrecognisable except for Lewis's in the distance. Now # 4 is very, very familiar - 3 shoe shops in a row! Lovely. Thank you. Viv.

Oops, sorry wishful thinking. ..... only 2 shoe shops now I've my specs on!

WE tend to forget that Corporation St ran past the Fire Station all the way to Aston Road North what I would like to know is the name of the pub on the corner of Staniforth St I remember it as The Ben Johnson but I think it had another name before that. Dek

Hi Dek. I don't remember the earlier name of the Ben Johnson but I do remember it being next to the old Labour Exchange, the row of buildings next door along Corporation Street. The Labour Exchange was a big building with arched windows opposite Aston Uni. Viv.

WE tend to forget that Corporation St ran past the Fire Station all the way to Aston Road North what I would like to know is the name of the pub on the corner of Staniforth St I remember it as The Ben Johnson but I think it had another name before that. Dek

Dek

Was it the King Edward VII or even VIII, all I remember was the labour exchange in Staniforth St. It was the last place I ever signed on at the tender age of 16 or 17 and I was paid the princely sum of something like £2.

Phil

King Edward VII. I can only remember theBen Johnson, but it seems to have changed between 1969 and 1971, so I should remember the old name

It was the west midlands press associated bar and there was there regional offices ajoing it
then it later became the king edward then it changed to the ben johnson
and it was for members only the pub bar was only for the press members only at one stage for years only
in the sixtys it changed to the king edward
this thread was mentioned was discussed about three or four years ago on this forum;
and i did metionion it myself as well when the houghton family owned the forum before handing it and selling
to postie ; our jim and hillary ; best wishes astonian

I found this thread very difficult to replace the images that were lost. The problem being that I don't describe them very well in the actual post and I have so many of the subject at hand. In future I will remedy that, but for now I have had to go with those that I think suit the thread best.

Phil

Really enjoyed that photo and info on Corpn St Carolina. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fourth one on post 12 might well have had me in it. Must be early 50s and the tram lines out of Martieau St. had not been removed yet but the trams had gone by then of course. I crossed there every week day in both directions between Martineau and Cherry St....past the Dolcis at that time. Gosh...it's 61 years ago. Back then the 1st WW. seemed to be an age away and the pictures of mechanisms of war seemed to be laughably ancient...it was a scant 30 years before then. The mind experiences a foreshortening of time...if thats the right word...when looking back at these things. The streets were far more people friendly I think. At a more human level with the shop fronts and doorways and awnings.

kk.jpeg
1939 in Corporation Street and the pedestrians are totally ignoring the new pelican crossing

I'm struggling to place this last one of Stitcher's. Does anyone know if it's near Midland Counties Dairy? Just can't work it out. Viv.

Not quite that far Viv the building on the left would I think be where Halfords was built later to burn down.The buildings on the right would be demolished for the new Gosta Green Tech.Dek

Thanks Dek. I think then that must be the Labour Exchange on the left ( lighter coloured building). Viv.

Back