• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre - Corporation Street

I think the building on the left behind the lamp post was a pen knib manufacturer. Can't think of it's name at the moment. Sospiri knows all about it.

Yeah, Mike. If you type in GE...'Vesey Street Birmingham UK' it will get you to the spot. Brick Kiln has been eaten up by roadway but Vesey is still there. York seems to be Lawson now and the factory is gone. That area is pretty much un-recognisable now. The ben Johnson and buildings just beyond...just peeking in the photo...still existed the last time the GE camera was by.

link :https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10094&ox=2106&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=471&y=233

Yes now I can see it Rupert. If the photo had been taken a little more to the right we'd have had a better view of the Ben Johnson joining the Labour Ex. Pretty well all of the foreground features and all the building to the right have gone and replaced by lots of concrete. Viv.

cvf.jpeg
I know I have posted this before so I am hoping it was before the forum problem. Corporation Street, 1964.

Great action photo Stitcher. Wonder where he's running to? Nice Jag about to turn. The street seems to be one way, but away from the Fire Station. Think it later became one way towards the Fire Station. Viv.

An impressive row of buildings. There's something very odd going on at he top of that ladder. There's a man on top of the ladder to the left side. But there's a woman (in a swmming costume) on the right side of the ladder. What on earth is going on? Remember this is 1885!!!! Viv.

It's not a swiming costume but a long skirt. The date is about right though...you can see the light (top left) from Martineau St. but there are no tram tracks yet. The man is cleaning off the pigeon droppings and the girl is polishing or washing some bright work. All rather dodgy on one step ladder.

Thank goodness for that Rupert - been puzzling me all morning about that ladies attire! Paul - my eyesight isn't that good then! But I do enjoy zooming in and out of these old photos, love all the small details. Viv.

xdw.jpeg
Corporation Street became a thoroughfare in 1878 and in this picture dated 1893 a workmens collection is taking place. These collections were made for the free benefit of all the medical charities in the town. The collections were always allowed on a Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Paul, I would guess that is about right.

Corporation Street. 1947.jpeg1947.
I remember it like this whenever mom took us into town.

A facinating photograph Stitcher. For those not accustomed to the time I point out that the motorised traffic (buses and cars) wer all heading towards the camera: it was a one-way street - except for the tramcars which were going the other way......... :friendly_wink:

Of note is the large number of Midland Red buses.

Hello again Alan, it will seem strange to not have any buses in Corporation Street, although I never go into town these days so I will not see the tramswhen they start running.

cvc.jpeg
No date with this, the caption says it is Steelhouse Lane, formerly known as Priors Conygree Lane.

View attachment 80204
I don't think my mom took me into this one.

I seem to remember Swears and Wells, was it still there in the mid/late 60's?
My parents bought me a leather coat for my 16th birthday and I am wondering if it might have come from there?
I did go with my mother to buy it but I can't recollect where it came from but I don't think it was a department store.

Hello Sparks, I can't help with your query but I know someone who will as soon as he sees it.

Back