• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Of The Messiah Broad Street (unitarian)

W

Wendy

The Church of the Messiah Broad Street from Robert K Dent's book Old and New Birmingham published 1880.

Church_of_the_Messiah_Broad_Street.jpg

This is a pretty picture Wendy, thank you for posting it. Nan and Grandad were married there, and her brothers too. Dad and his brother and sister were baptised there. It was over the canal, but now has

made way for Brindleyplace. I found a copy of Cliff's film "Take me High" (That's a different thread) and it was interesting to see the area, as I don't remember it very well.

rosie.

The following may add to the picture Wendy posted:)

The Church of the Messiah opened 1st January 1862 according to the article in the Birmingham Daily Post dated 2nd Jan 1862.

"The style is the geometrical decorated Gothic, and the material employed throughout is stone. The entrance porch is exceedingly graceful and elaborate. Eight red granite columns, with gray
(sic) granite bases and carved capitals, composed of foliage and flowers, executed by Mr John Thomas, of London, support three intervening cusped arches of Bath stone, and form three handsome open doorways, leading into a neat vestibule. A four-light window, with geometrical tracery, and gable above, surmounts the porch, and the main gable of the church recedes some fiftteen feet. On one side of the porch is a lobby entrance two storeys high, finished with hipped roof and ornamental cresting, and on the other side is the tower, surmounted by the spire, which rises from the midst of crocketed canopies overshadowing figures of the four Evangellists, also by Thomas, and is ornamented with quatrefoil bands at intervals to the top. The St. Peter's P.... (illegible) elevation presents five irregular gables, with bold projecting buttresses, and five large windows, with geometrical tracery heads of different designs. At the end of the church is an octaganal turret about eighty feet high. The roof is covered with green and blue slates in courses, topped with ornamental iron ridges, corresponding in design with the other decorations of the building. The interior of the edifice is equally pleasing with the exterior. On one side is a transept, opened to the church by three arches resting on clustered columns and intended for the organ and children's gallery, the latter communicating with the schools. The roof is formed with open timbers of hammer beam construction, the spandrills filled in with tracery and dog-tooth moulding on the soffits, and the ends of the windows are gabled and valleyed into the main roof. At the end of the hammer beams of the principals are suspended eight thirty-two-light Gothic corona lamps, beautifully designed in blue-and-red and green-and-gold, in the mediaeval style, and executed by Mr Brawn. A bold moulded arch admits light from the window of the porch, and the church is also lighted from fourteen other windows, twelve of which are glazed with cathedral dyed white glass, and the remaining two with stained glass, by Messrs. Chance. The pulpit which is octagonal, of carved oak, faces the entrance is backed by three traceried arches carried on columns and buttresses, the two side arches being occupied by the memorial tablets of Dr. Priestly and the Revd. John Kentish, from Moor Street. The galleries, of which there are two, one over the entrance and one in the transept, have Gothic panelled deal fronts and open seats. The seats in the nave are also open benches, with oak moulded ends and carved panels. At the entrance from the porch are traceried, panelled, and glazed wood screens, and swing doors leading into the two aisles, at the far end of which are other doors leading into the minister's and congregational vestry. Over the vestries is a large room for congregational meetings, &c. The interior is eighty feet long by forty-five wide, and will, the galleries included, seat 611 persons. An organ is being built by Mr Halmshaw. The schools at the back are built of red brick. The upper school-room is seventy feet by twenty-eight, and thirty feet to the ridge, with open timbered roof lighted by five triplet windows on one side, and a large four-light window on the other, and the two school-rooms together will accommodate about 400 children. The whole of the buildings are warmed by hot air pipes fixed by Messrs. Meeks of London. The entire cost will be about £10,000. The architect is Mr. Bateman of Cherry Street; and the builders Messrs. Branson and Gwyther."

Suzanne

Thank you for that description Suzanne, I hope you won't mind if I print it off for my Family tree? It sounds a beautiful place, yet another one that has gone.

rosie.

It is an interesting piece Suzanne and explains so much about this lovely church. Joseph Chamberlain was a Unitarian so your Nan and Granddad were in good company rosie.

Hi Rosie, yes print away:)

Wendy/Rosie - A description helps bring to life a photo doesn't it? The newspaper also went on to list the famous dignitaries that were there at the opening.

Suzanne

I totally agree I love to read about pictures as you say it brings them to life. Out of interest who were the dignitaries at the opening.

Hi Wendy

Sorry for the delay. Here's a list of the people who attended the opening.

"Such is the building that was formally opened, in the presence of a large congregation, yesterday morning. Amongst those present were the Revds. J Martineau, S. Bache, J. Gordon, J.J. Brown, E. Higginson, - Cochrane, J. Webster, C. Berry, R. Jerson, C. Beard, S. Hunter, T. Madge, B. Aspland, J. McKean; Mr. R. Greaves (High Sherrif of the County), Alderman Ryland; Councillors Brook Smith and Prime; and Messrs. A. Kenrick, T. Kenrick, S. Thornton, W. Ryland, T. Gladstone, C. Clifford, W.G. Postans, J.R. Mott, H. Ryland, J. Hunt, C. Best, W.J. Beale, F. Oastler, E. Myers, &c., &c."

regards
Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne as I suspected many residents of Key Hill Cemetery. I will try and check how many.

Church of the Messiah, Broad Street

dated 1973..this church was built on arches over the birmingham canal..

messiah001.jpg

Last edited:
Re: church of the messiah.broad st

Thank you for these pictures, I mentioned on another thread that some of my family were married and baptised there. The second one is very sad.
rosie.

rosie that first pic is not very good im afraid..i will retake it and see if i can get it a bit sharper for you...

lyn

It's very kind of you, lyn. I've never seen that view before. I do enjoy looking at your photos.
rosie.

I worked on that building over the road. That's why it's still standing today, cus I helped build it :encouragement:

It's very kind of you, lyn. I've never seen that view before. I do enjoy looking at your photos.
rosie.

its always a pleasure rosie...will sort it out first thing in the morning for you..

lyn

Re: Church of the Messiah, Broad Street

rosie ive had another go at the pic on post 1 and reposted it..not perfect but a bit better....also found this pic for you...

lyn

churchofmessiahbroadst002.jpg

Thank you so much lyn for re-posting the picture, and for including the other one. My cousin is also interested in this Church so I will print them and show her too, as she doesn't have a computer.

Happy New Year and keep on posting your lovely photos!!!

rosie.

Well done, Frothblower too!

happy new year to you too rosie..just let me know if you are searching for anymore pics and i will see if i have them...

lyn

rosie, if you find it interesting it my plesure to post it.

cccv.jpeg

This one again is not a brilliant photo from 1948, it was taken from almost the same angle as an earlier post.

img600.jpg
I have just come across this photo, I thought I had posted all the ones I had. It is not a brilliant photo but I hope someone will find it interesting. 1865

"]I've walked past this church quite a few times when I was a nipper , I used to go to St Peters RC school and church which was to the rear of this curch[/QUOTE]

another piece of fine architecture raised to the ground and for what??

lyn

A very impressive building. Noting the Chamberlain connection it does suggest there was a good deal of money available to build the place. It would be interesting to know by what number the congregation had dwindled in the years leading to demolition. The thing for so many buildings, such as churches, that those who use them dwindle and the costs to maintain them is not there. The country has many instances where such places have been demolished or converted to dwellings. There is also the factor that many inner city churches loose their congregations as they move to the outer suburbs moreover the lack of parking can also be a present day feature.
Is the canal, over which the church was built, now open to the sky? Or is a newer structure presently over the canal?

Last edited:
Back