• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chocolate Shop - Station Road, Erdington.

bear & ragged staff

Brummie babby
Hi,
Does anybody remember a small chocolate shop in Station Road, Erdington around the mid to late sixties? It sold a chocolate that I have never tasted the like of before or since - it was delicious. I was always told that it was a cheap, substandard, reject chocolate and if I remember correctly, it used to come in trays and was broken up with a toffee hammer. Can anybody throw any light on why this chocolate tasted so different and more importantly - is it still available anywhere?
Many Thanks

I remember this shop too, just by the radio shop. I also recall that it did taste slightly different to the norm, you could buy a bag of broken up chunks for about 6d.

Last time I walk past the place, it had all burnt down.

Upon reflection the taste now reminds me of chocolate that has had the coco butter removed and replaced with a substitute; quite edible, but also a way of making cheep chocolate, coco butter is a valuable commodity in its own right..

Mom thinks it was "packers" chocolate and like Morurn says, had the expensive cocoa butter replaced, but she doesn't know who made it.
She says the Kinnerton brand chocolate tastes the closest to it, you see this in cheap Easter eggs and Xmas decs.
Sue

If the "chocolate" was just poured into trays and left to set , then it must have been chocolate compound , which has had all the cocoa butter removed and replaced with a coconut or palm kernel fraction. This is cheaper and has the advantage , for small producers of not needing special treatment on cooling. If the stuff in the trays had been real chocolate and just left to set, then the product would have looked not very nice, been soft and would have tended to stick to the tray.

I was on very friendly terms with the son of the owners of this small chocolate factory, had some good rejects from there.
Jiggered if I can remember his name now. It's been a long time.

Back