• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chirsal King

forward

master brummie
Unsure if you allow this. Clutching at straws. 1851 census: John King (1803 born on sea ?) had his nephew William Chirsal listed born Gloucester Stanclia (?) Parish Sollershope. My theory and hope is nephew must be John's sister who married a Chrisal. Finding William or his sister may give insight into where John King was born or if overseas where from? Chirsal and Spain seemed linked. Problem Chirsal is a rarely used name? Any help going or st least a path to follow? Thanks

Familysearch lists his birthplace as Standish, though that's only from a transcript so may not be accurate. Chirsal may just be a recording error, can't see any other mention of it.

Also he could be a son of a sister of his wife.

Is there any connection to the other Kings who married in Tetbury about the same time?

Last edited:
Might be a bit of a stretch but there is a William Clissold b1831 in Standish and his mother appears to have been an Elizabeth King born in Tetbury.

He also seems to be missing in 1851 as Clissold, listed in 1841 and 1861.

I've been looking at the King's born in Tetbury and it's interesting.

There are a number of King's born about 1800 listed on the censuses - Charles, Elizabeth, Ann, Mary and James - but there are only baptisms for Mary and James, children of Charles and Ann.

Ann doesn't marry until 1842 and her father is listed as Charles and she appears to be with him in 1841. Charles married twice and on the second marriage his father is listed as Charles as well.

Returning to Charles the father, he marries Ann Dicks in 1795 Tetbury but the first baptism listed (for Mary) doesn't occur until 1804. Not unusual in itself but there are the possible 'unbaptised' children and one possible theory would be that after they married they left the country for some reason, had children including John born at sea and then returned to Tetbury.

The anomalies with the birthplaces for the others could be explained by easy/lazy assumptions/answers made when the censuses were recorded. John may have been the only one who moved from Tetbury who gave their own details.

All speculation though which I can't prove. I looked for other relatives in households that would connect them but couldn't see any.

There are a number of John Kings that are registered when making searches for the village of Sollershope/Sollers Hope which is in Herefordshire just North of Gloucs. Parish of St Michael.

Thanks for pointing out wife/nephew.

In at least 1700's King and its variants are in Tetbury hence my doubt he was born on sea, not the more usual born at sea.

James was listed as brother to John King b 1823 with circa damage gap in later census.

In 1822 a John King m Mary Ann Bamford at Tetbury and a bap in 1803 Mary Ann at Tetbury. Believe in Tetbury I've got bap for Sarah 1824 (John and Marianne) and Hannah 1829 (John Mary Ann).

As yet no evidence to link other Kings at Tetbury but think further back in time there would be.

You can probably see why I think he wasn't born on sea but?

Chirsal - Clissford, that sounds possible

Thanks.

Forgot, actually emailed Sollershope church to see if a hamlet or village of Stanclia existed. I can but ask.

Sollers Hope is where they were living on 1851 and is in Herefordshire. The place William claims to be born at is in Gloucestershire

I wondered if the "born on sea" was a mishearing of a place name ....onsy or similar. Haven't found anywhere yet but it might be worth a thought.

Born at sea seems a bit random to make up instead of giving your real birth place, so either true or as you say misheard. I don't think it is but Burham on sea could be misheard for such I suppose.

Married in Tetbury and elder children baptised there it seems likely that William is connected to the other Tetbury Kings. If the elder King children of Charles and Ann were born in Tetbury where are their baptisms?

Another one for DNA (Y-chromosome) maybe.

Not sure if this is the right person but I think Mary was a widow by 1861 census so it fits. (Hover over and it shows the date and paper)
Hereford Journal 10 May 1854.JPG

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Might be a bit of a stretch but there is a William Clissold b1831 in Standish and his mother appears to have been an Elizabeth King born in Tetbury.

He also seems to be missing in 1851 as Clissold, listed in 1841 and 1861.
There is a Charles Clissold aged 51 on the 1851 census living in Standish - says married but no wife with him.
Plus another family which might be Clissold.

Last edited:
William Clissold was the son of Richard Clissold and Elizabeth King. She is one of the Kings whose birthplace is listed as Tetbury but doesn't have a baptism there (as far as I can see) and is a possible sister of John King.

William Clissold was the son of Richard Clissold and Elizabeth King. She is one of the Kings whose birthplace is listed as Tetbury but doesn't have a baptism there (as far as I can see) and is a possible sister of John King.
She is the daughter of Charles King. That is on the marriage record.

Thanks for links. It becomes a bit muddied as from Tetbury King family ended up around Pencoyd Michealchurch ,Tretire, Hoarwithy, Howard's End, Hentland etc. King families are John 1803 & 1823 then George W then George either stayed around there, nearer Ross or moved to Abergaveeny (then Birmingham).

As those areas adjoin the old road to Abergavenny my perhaps over sentimental mind pictures them meeting on the way to market. Now after well over 12 yrs of not driving (side effects of long term Pros C not drink - smiling) I'm back driving so we intend to go B&B there. I'm told not much of villages left but church where some are buried could well be.

I did think he may have given born on sea to avoid saying where he came from but no proof so no.

Yes one of my thoughts is Burnham (Burn on sea)as it's kind of close to Tetbury. A

Thanks for your help. Just popped into library to gauge scale of King at Tetbury alone. Gave FMP a go rather than An.
Earlist King reported circa 1650.
1650 - 1820 68 births.
1760 - 1840 134 Mar
If I widen the search by only 5 miles the numbers increase to wow.

Going down John King born on sea is a misspelling. Trying to identify siblings of John King 1803 is my next task - there's fun.

Back