• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chester Road Erdington

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This one is labelled Chester Road Erdington. Completely baffled by this and have no idea of where in Erdington it could be. There's a pub to the left. No date given. Viv.

image.jpeg

Never seen this photo before. It does look like a bridge, I think Chester road crosses a canal, railway and the river Tame though Erdington.

It looks like the bridge at Chester Road station.
I thought that when I looked at it under the glass and blown up particularly with the drop down and rise up after the bridge. Could the big ivy covered building on the left hand side be what became Anstey College? Just a wild thought for all you experts and map owners, could the road on the left be Boldmere Road and opposite it Gravelly Lane? Finally what is that about to pass under the bridge? Unfortunately all the figures are to Indistinct to give any date indications.
Bob Davis

Never seen this photo before. It does look like a bridge, I think Chester road crosses a canal, railway and the river Tame though Erdington.
It goes under the railway at Chester Road station, over the railway at Castle Bromwich, over the Birmingham and Fazeley canal at Tyburn and also over the River Tame, the only other bridge in Erdington is the M6 and I think that this picture comes from before the time of motorways. There are railway bridges out through Streetly and Brownhills.
Bob

I think I concur with Onceabrummie with Boldmere road and Gravelly Hill. That's probably Chester road station in the distance?

That’s an interesting map. I can remember the remains of the small good sidings adjacent to the bridge at Chester Road Station.

Just looking at the shape of the building opposite the bench mark at the junction of Sutton Road and Chester Road, it may be the right location

Should we be looking the other way? Sutton road left and the Birmingham road right?

Last edited:
Hi Froth, I think you are right, Sutton Rd on the left, continuing to the Birmingham Rd on the right. I was just looking the pic and on old maps at the 'misalignment' of the road and the open space on the other side of the Sutton Rd. The apparent pub on the corner is a puzzle at the moment.
oldmohawk

An enlarged pic of the corner building ... shows the stepped front ... it does not look like a pub.
cornerhouse.jpg

A map 1892-1905 shows the step on the building, the open space, and the ivy covered house.
Chester.JPG

I too initially thought this was the junction Boldmere Rd/Chester Rd/Gravelly Lane with the site of the house on the left being that of the Baptist Church, however, with the downward incline alongside the house, I now believe that the site of the house on the corner is now, roughly, the site of McDonalds.

The Boldmere Rd view toward the station is attached.

Attachments

• chesterroad1920.jpg
    chesterroad1920.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 35
Viv, I think you'll find that this is now known as The Yenton. The Bell and Cuckoo is on the left and is now a MacDonalds. It's what we call 'the takeaway capital of the world'. This part of Erdington is confusing as the boundary wiggles about somewhat. However it's definitely Erdington and the boundary sign is a little further down the road on the right just about where Broadfields Road is now and where the trams terminated. This area has several incarnations including a large traffic island and now busy traffic lights.

An enlarged pic of the corner building ... shows the stepped front ... it does not look like a pub.
View attachment 113578

A map 1892-1905 shows the step on the building, the open space, and the ivy covered house.
View attachment 113579
Please tell me that those are not early wheelie bins by the far hedge/fence!!!! Of course it could be Birmingham leading the way in the world.
Looking at the maps and the comments I think I'll remove my suggestion of Boldmere Road etc...it's as my wife says I only think I am right. Thank you for making one small picture such a brilliant topic. As a postcard collector I know how misleading some views can be.
Bob

Wow you lot have been busy while I've been distracted by other things today! I really didn't believe this was Erdington. Thought maybe it was an Erdington somewhere else (don't even know if there is an Erdington elsewhere). Thank you all so much. A very interesting journey on this one. Viv.

Wow you lot have been busy while I've been distracted by other things today! I really didn't believe this was Erdington. Thought maybe it was an Erdington somewhere else (don't even know if there is an Erdington elsewhere). Thank you all so much. A very interesting journey on this one. Viv.

There is an 'Eardington' in Shropshire - Eardington is a small village and civil parish in Shropshire, England. It is near the A442 road and is two kilometres south of the town of Bridgnorth, along the B4555 road.

This one is labelled Chester Road Erdington. Completely baffled by this and have no idea of where in Erdington it could be. There's a pub to the left. No date given. Viv.

View attachment 113572
Viv, I re-read this thread and realised that I said it was the Bell & Cuckoo on the left. 5 years down the line and I'm putting my mistake right. The property on the left was known as 'The White House' and was never a pub as someone pointed out. The Bell & Cuckoo would have been on the right-hand corner of the picture and would have been long gone by the time this photo was taken.

Diagonally to the white house is the doctor's surgery and the 'vacant' corner now houses Star Taxis, a shop, an Indian restaurant, and our local chip shop. I think there's an off-licence too and an office. The houses shown on the photo behind this space are still there although a lovely new detached property has been built in front in keeping with the style of the existing houses. Much building work is taking place on this side of the Lyndhurst Estate.

It is definitely Chester Road railway bridge in the far distance.

Not entirely sure about the location of this 1920s photo. Suggested Streetview view - is it a possibility? The B&W photo has a sign 'Cross Roads' to the left near the lampost, so I wondered if it was warning of the junction with Orphanage Road coming up in the distance.

Screenshot_20240421_093754_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240426_074141_Maps.jpg

Hi Viv, Chester Road is always confusing and so many road widening schemes have taken place over the years. If it is as you suggest then the road on the right is Orphanage Road (Bell Lane) and this should continue over the Chester Road but the blooming van's in the way so you can't see.
Incidentally, what do you think the 'cart' is parked at the kerbside?

Yes this is a difficult one Pen. My thinking was that if a cross roads was marked it must be a key junction, but really not sure where on Chester Riad.

The cart looks like it might be making milk deliveries. I think there might be just one milk churn on it.

Back