• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cherrywood Road, Bordesley Green

Re: Cherrywood Road, Saltley ?

In the early 70's the Kingston Garage premises were Brian Edwards then Edward Brittain. (car repairers owned by Brian Edwards). The right side used to be 3 storeys high. Anybody got any other photos or remember the place/people??

I lived at 322 Cheerywood Road, Boardesley Green until I was eight years old. We had an Oil Bomb go through our front window, which split open. I think I am right when I say the road was closed off until the spilt oil from the bomb [which didn't explode] was cleared.

I went to The Rosary School and my mame was 'HEMUS'

Does anyone remember Mrs. Wormal's Shop

Mary at the Paper Shop; and I think a corner shop called 'Richards'.

have writen a post on Birmingham Bombing relating to that night, which I remeber.

Miriam [Al's better Half=.

My family lived at 72 Cherrywood rd in the 50s and 60s and 70s .. I cant remember exactly when but they compulsory purchased it of my Uncle tom for peanuts , It was robbery really .
Does any one from Cherrywood Rd remember the Paytons
Tom or Jack or John as he was called lived there with his Irish Wife Nelly also my dad when he was younger Harry payton . Tom had been a heavyweight boxer called Kid Payton .
Nellie Payton well she was very very irish and used to virtually live in the Gypsys tent always there with Paddy and Rita O'mara .
Jean

I knew Paddy O'Mara, Leo, The Wales, Jackie and Harold Hall.
Names ring any bells ?

Can't recall the names you mention, Postie, but here are more I can remember:-

No. 324 Rollason. 320 Harry Hadley. 318 Les. Stokes.

Haywood. Dr. Bose. Bennett.

elder brother worked at Motor Components.

MY Dad and two home guards did help to dig out a young man out of the rubble after a bomb had fallen at the top of the under ground shelter.
[better half].:(

I knew Paddy O'Mara, Leo, The Wales, Jackie and Harold Hall.
Names ring any bells ?
Hi
Thanks for replying Postie :) well its a long story but Rita Omara is Married to Freddie Rhodes who was my dads and uncle toms Step Brother so in a way they are sort of Family and all kocked about 72 cherrywood road with paddy Omara and Nellie payton and My mum Doreen Clarke when she was courting My dad Harry Payton at the time all one big family . There was a strong Irish link with the pub I think. Sadly Nellie and Tom and my dad are both passed away and my mum is elderley .. she keeps wanting to find the O'maras so she can find freddie Rhodes. My nan Sarah or Sally ( Payton then Rhodes) as she was known in the pubs was the first of the family to live at number 72 Cherry wood rd and I used to visit there right until it was compulsory Purchased .
Phew how long winded is that ?
How do you know them then ?
Regards Jean Grahame ne Payton

Al's better half.... your mention of Les Stokes rang a bell. The name cropped up often in family discussions as he was a foreman at Motor Components. Same man, I wonder?

wondered if any one has any pics of GPO site at back of cherrywood rd, border fordrough lane

Icarus - do not recall where Les. Stokes worked - sorry.

My brother remembers the big GPO and also delievering News Papers for Mary McCormack [The News Agents].. better half.

I have just joined this site, and I lived in Pretoria Road in the 60's, went to Cherrywood Road School, and did a paper round down Cherrywood Road, and I remember the little sweet shop and the gypsys tent pub,

Morning Icarus. Les Stokes, my brother remembers, lived at 318 Cherrywood Road and he [brother ]used to put a bet on for him, and he won my brother, could;t of course pick up the winnings, as it was illegal in those days. He [brother] too young to know him as a foreman. Les Stokes lived with his mother. Miriam.

chrisange

When did you go to Cherrywood? I left Christmas 1966 half waay through 5th year.

Do you know Roy Pudley? He lived in pretoria Road and also went to Cherrywood.

Hello Suemailings. Is your Cherrywood a School as you say you left in the 5th year? I am speaking of Cherrywood Road. Miriam.

Morning Suemailings. I left Cherrywood Road when we were bombed and I was eight, so don't remember the school. My elder brother tells me he went to the 'Cubs' and the 'Scout' clubs there. Dib-dib-dib!! Miriam.

Miriam

Do you remember the bombing of the Co-op milk depot in Burbidge Road when several horses were killed? I worked next door at Thornley & Knight. Our factory suffered severe damage during that raid and others between 19-25 November 1940.

Hello Icarus. My brother remembers the Co-op Depot, but that bombing must have been the same time as we were bombed. We never went back after that - remember the oil bomb split open in our front room and all the slate work on the roof was broken. We went to stay at my granny's in Billesley and slept in her lobby under the stairs. Apparently we were asked to move as Granny's son has just been blown up [21] by torpedo. We then lived in Kingstanding with a cousin of my dad's - a long story of how we got that house:D:D and I lived there until I married. I have mentioned on another thread of visiting the Rosary Church and asking the priest to look around the Church - there is a freeze around the Church telling of the bombings we had in and around that area. 1940/1941. Miriam.

My grandfather lived at 22 Cherrywood Road in 1891.
They were the smith family, Samuel and Mary sons Enoch,Paul,Samuel, Alfred,and Joseph, daughters Maryann,Eliza and Agnes.They had moved to 23 Vicarage Road by 1901 and 14 Craddock street by 1914. It's so hard to trace 'Smith's' I have managed to find out what happened to Alfred(my grandad), Paul and Maryann, but never managed tofind out about the others. It's great to be able to read about the area and see where they lived.
Bernie

Hi all
72 Cherrywood road was my nans family home and then My Dad and Uncle Tom and auntie Nells home . Does any one remember the Paytons ? Aunty Nells pub was the Gypsys tent , Tommy Payton used to Box .. his name was Kid Payton . Also he and dad used play football . I think the paytons basically lived there from around 1950 to 1980 plus .. when they compulsary purchased the house . Argh happy memories .

Hi - you don't say whether you lived in Cherrywood Road, I lived with my Mum and Dad at 215 from birth (1947) until we left in 1956. My Grandmother lived at 211, from the 1920's until the mid 70's, the Richards family if any one remembers them, 3 boys, 2 girls. Their house was bombed on the same night as the GPO, our house backed onto it. Dr Bose and Dr Sankiria were our family doctors. Talking of shops, the Froggets had one a couple of doors down, and old Mrs King had the greengrocers on the corner of the cul de sac up towards the Gypsy's Tent.

GaryF

I thought the building looked familiar, Winston. I used to walk/cycle past it every day on my way to work in Bordesley Green Road in the 40/50's. Over the road from the 'Screw' was one of the Mulliners factories and a small car repair yard with a petrol pump at it's entrance.

Just up from the 'Screw', on the dog-leg corner of Cherrywood Road, was a café from where we used to get our morning break bacon, egg and tomato sandwiches. Further down on the Mulliners side, there was an illegal bookies at the side of the Why Not Inn and the chap who ran it was often nabbed. But it never stopped him. There were plenty of factories round there - including the GPO - so business was always brisk!:)

Back across the road and on the corner of Burbidge Road, was Motor Components, part of the Clifford Group. Several of my relatives worked there (and at Clifford Covering, further down) from pre-war through to the 70's. Most of their business was in car and aero valve manufacture, the latter being mainly for de Haviland. Their canteen was situated opposite the factory in Cherrywood Road and the children's Christmas parties were held there.

Cherrywood Road had plenty of shops interspersed between the houses - general stores, a cooked meats shop, a couple of chippies, ladies' hairdressers, drapers, a small church and, near to Colmore Depot, even a doctors surgery from where Dr Bose and Dr Sankiara(?) practiced. A self-sufficient community in those days.

Hi all.

My family, CRATHORN, have been living at 181 Cherrywood Road since 1952. Sadly Mom (Olive died 1996) and Dad (George died 2001) have both departed. My brother Michael still lives there. I was born in the actual house in 1956 and left there when i married Gail Griffin in 1976 at St.Saviours church. My sister's Lynda and Vyvien both got married and left before me. Some of the names remembered are Pawley (179), King (183), Coldwell (185) Doreen the corner shop (187), Edwards (189). Futher down were the Bennets, O'Rourke, Catewell, Froggart, Queenie's shop, Parker. On the othe side of the road was Craig, Neale, Ethel Summerfield(166), Brown, Bumford. Further down was Stevens, Dolly Wakefield (worked at the Diamond Screw) Arthur Howell. Then there was the Community centre (George, Olive Crathorn, Dennis Howell, Mr.Khan) were all on the committee. Memories

Regards to everyone

Steve

I have not been on the forum for many months so I have entertained myself tonight by browsing through the threads. I had relatives who lived back in 365 Cherrywood Street from about 1911 to he mid 1930's. They were the Cooper family of Richard, Alice and children George and Kate. After Richard Alice continued to live there with her grownup children who came and went at different times. I ahve no knowledge of what happened to any of them after about 1935. Perhaps some people visiting this thread might know of something.

Steve is this where auntie Violet met Uncle Jim > They lived at 72 Cherrywood road for years ?

Jean x
Hi all.

My family, CRATHORN, have been living at 181 Cherrywood Road since 1952. Sadly Mom (Olive died 1996) and Dad (George died 2001) have both departed. My brother Michael still lives there. I was born in the actual house in 1956 and left there when i married Gail Griffin in 1956 at St.Saviours church. My sister's Lynda and Vyvien both got married and left before me. Some of the names remembered are Pawley (179), King (183), Coldwell (185) Doreen the corner shop (187), Edwards (189). Futher down were the Bennets, O'Rourke, Catewell, Froggart, Queenie's shop, Parker. On the othe side of the road was Craig, Neale, Ethel Summerfield(166), Brown, Bumford. Further down was Stevens, Dolly Wakefield (worked at the Diamond Screw) Arthur Howell. Then there was the Community centre (George, Olive Crathorn, Dennis Howell, Mr.Khan) were all on the committee. Memories

Regards to everyone

Steve

Hi Jean.
According to Auntie Vi's book, she was introduced to Uncle Jim by my Dad, George, whilst she was working at a factory/shop near the city centre, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I believe my Dad worked there at the same time.

Steve
X

Many Thanks for That Steve .
What a small world this really is . I hope you liked her book . Its a lovely account of life back in the 30s . She originated from Floodgate Street.
If you ever come into contact with my cousins could you please pass on my E mail and ask them if they have any old photos of the Paytons . I am especially interested in any childhood photos of my dad :)
Jean xx

Dr Sankarayya was our Dr...DrBose was the senior partner in one of the first NHS practice in Bham,

A former Gurkha military Dr Sankarayya was a little gruff in manner, but a good doctor......Dr Bamford...far more easy going ....his father was involved with Schools Dental Service near Hobmoor Rd. Our family were caretakers at the Gt Barr St Surgery [we went to Ada Rd School].....

Thank you for that info David...thank goodness my Harris & Green families had moved on by then !

Regards,
Margaret.

Back