• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Charlotte Street

Looking at both the map and photo - 102 (King) where my grandparents lived is the large house and 104 (Law) is next to the yard - on the right hand side of the photo. If I can find any more photos I'll post them.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hi - my Mom was also born in Charlotte Street. Family name King. The large house at the forefront of the photo is where they lived. This shows the side entrance boarded up. On the left side (as you look at it) was a blacksmith and on the other was a yard where handcarts were stored. I believe that the house where your family lived may be just a few doors further up the road. The houses backed onto the canal.
My grandparents used to drink in the pub - was it the Navigation?
My nan's (my Mom's Mom) maiden name was King, Winnie.

Winnie married Alfred Law, they had five daughters, Barbara, Maureen Christine (my mom) Susan & Patricia.

I'm guessing we are related somehow!

The pub was the Queens, Winnie use to work there and I also think she worked in other pubs in the area

Seeing this picture has made my day.

I am going into Birmingham with my Mom this weekend, we always go for a walk up charlotte street and talk about the old days.

Really pleased to have made your day with the photo!

Seeing photos of where they all lived helps bring their stories to life doesn't it.

Hope seeing it brings back happy memories for your Mom too.

Small world eh?

Enjoy your walk down Charlotte Street and if you do pop into the Queens raise a glass to Ada and Edward and their many descendants!

In fact, as Logie suggested, it seems that they were more than neighbours. Winifred the wife of Alfred Law was born Winifred King and was the daughter Edward and Ada King.

So, if you are the great grandchild of Edward and Ada then you and Logie appear to be second cousins.
Edward and Ada are my nan and grandad also

Not sure, but I think there were around 30 of us grandchildren. I couldn't guess how many great grandchildren. Just don't ask me to name them all.....

my mom s name was maud she was winifreds sister she married albert hewitt we all was born at 102 chalotte street there was seven of us christine is my cousin

This was M. Myers & Sons pen factory as they prepared to move out of Charlotte Street after 100 years. They had, by 1938, diversified into other pressed articles and needed larger premises. Viv.

8824DCC5-D321-41BC-A532-BFE45A018C2A.jpeg2763907A-9218-482C-B0A4-A7039956CA7B.jpeg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back