• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chandos School Moseley Road

W

Wendy

Chandos_SCHOOL.jpg
Here is a nice photo of children in the playground at Chandos School in Highgate in 1967. Anyone recognise themselves?

Sorry about the spelling in the title I rushed it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Chandos School

Wendy

Here is a photo of Chandos Rd itself, running between the park and the school. You can see the school at the top of the hill. There was a lad in my class at school who lived in those houses on the right, If I remember correctly about half way up.

Phil

Highgate Chandos Rd.jpg

Last edited:
An image of the school that was built to replace Chandos Street School in the mid seventies, Chandos School, Vaughton Street South, Highgate. The site of the old school is now the new build Calthorpe Academy

Highgate Chandos School Vaughton Street.JPG

Violet,

Concerning Chandos School

There are a couple of photos here,

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=35689&highlight=chandos+school.

If you type Chandos School into the search box at the top right of the page you will find other mentions of the school. Edit. Threads now merged.
I attended Chandos School from 1968 to 1974. Still clearly remember the teachers, Mr Millward, Mrs Morgan, Mr Brearley, Mr Cooke, and Miss Bland (who became Mrs Wright) Often wondered what happened to the large painting of George and the Dragon off the wall in the smaller assembly hall !!

Last edited:
I was there from 1970 0r maybe 1969 until starting at St Albans in 1976. I was in Miss X class in 3rd year. Remember her making a girl stand on her desk because she kept asking to go to the toilet...and she promptly peed all over it! Also Miss Ecclestone in the last year I was there, she used to take a few of us for Badminton after school in the small hall.....the biscuits were hidden in the storage cupboard there and she used to dissapear for a while with her boyfriend (?Ross)....so did the biscuits and crisps while she was gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
We love to hear your school stories. Schooling and education are a significant chapter in our lives. The experiences of school and the relationships with the teaching staff shape us significantly and are part of our history.

A lot of people had very positive experiences at school. Importantly others did not. Together we need to write these stories into history, so that we may celebrate successes and learn from failures.

It is important to remind ourselves that this forum is a public platform that can be viewed by anyone across the globe. We ask our members to think carefully what they write. Tell us and others about your experiences good or bad. But also consider others when you do so there could be living relatives, friends or family who will see the relationship with these people differently from you. Adverse comments could be seen as defamatory, and even give rise to libel claims.

If you have experienced events at schools that you see as adverse, by all means say so, but please ensure you protect the identity of the people involved and in so doing you will protect yourself and this forum. Use phrases like “the maths teacher…” or “Miss X…” etc. If in doubt, the moderators are here to help.

So, lets have your school stories, good or bad. Just remember that it is the story of your school years we want to hear; it is not a platform for revenge.

Last edited:
I concur with Morturn. An innocuous comment is easily made, but am sure on such a forum as this there is never any intent to offend. Virtue of the fact that people take the time out to contribute, I am sure they all have nothing but praise and great memories of all the Teachers, I do. Special mention goes to Mrs Wright, and especially Mr Brearley. Both of these people played a big part in my early years of education, and made a major contribution in making me the person I am today. I have been so lucky to have achieved so much in my life, and feel I would never have done so without their input. Their relations will probably never know of the positive influence they had on such young people, and should be immensely proud.

Last edited:
Chandos_SCHOOL.jpg
Here is a nice photo of children in the playground at Chandos School in Highgate in 1967. Anyone recognise themselves?

Chandos_SCHOOL.jpg

I'm in that photo went to chandos road school 65/70 until it closed summer 70 reopened in Vaughn Street after the summer hols,remember Head master mr millward Mrs Terrington the picture of George and the dragon in assembly hall as well as 2 plaques on the wall by the exit from assembly hall one with South shields another with North shields,cant remember many names but I'm sure there was a john Mullins Shirley Green,Linda Carrington Martina lowe,I played in the football team

I went to Chandos Road from early 60's then on to Upper Highgate Street Girls School. Mr Millward rings a bell and I remember two Mr Edwards. They were referred to as fatty and thinny Edwards because of their size.

Chandos_SCHOOL.jpg

In this photo is Colin palmer, David madonna, Tony Bridges does any one recall these names from 1967.

I have received a message from Heritage archives they "think" the school I am looking for was known as Moseley Road County Primary School , Chandos Road the link is https://www,british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7/pp501-548#p438
They do not seem to have any info on the students. what a pity.
Raphael

Very few older schools have the space to store paper records given the number of pupils which pass through their doors. Even today there is a limit to how long records are kept for.

I thought on your other thread you said she went to a different school when she was younger and moved up. Was Chandos Road school more than just a primary school at that time?

If you're lucky when the 1921 census is released her parents may have put down the school. I don't think it was a requirement but sometimes people added extra info.

I thought on your other thread you said she went to a different school when she was younger and moved up. Was Chandos Road school more than just a primary school at that time?

If you're lucky when the 1921 census is released her parents may have put down the school. I don't think it was a requirement but sometimes people added extra info.
Thank you for your interest. Yes From what I can Remember my Mother attended St Annes at the top of Bradford street. The family at the time lived at 199 Bradford Street Next to the Pub. I have "assumed" that she then went to High School at the age of 12.

Thank you for your interest. Yes From what I can Remember my Mother attended St Annes at the top of Bradford street. The family at the time lived at 199 Bradford Street Next to the Pub. I have "assumed" that she then went to High School at the age of 12.
Raphael, welcome to the Forum enjoy! A great place & people with lots of excellent information.

Janice
Was it normal for the Leaving Certificates in the 20's just to show the likes of "moseley road school" instead of the actual name of the school??
Thank you for your help
I am sorry but I don't know. My knowledge of education is much more recent.
It is most likely the school you have been told but the description I posted does not make it clear if it covered more than just junior and infant in the 1920s.

I went to Chandos Road from early 60's then on to Upper Highgate Street Girls School. Mr Millward rings a bell and I remember two Mr Edwards. They were referred to as fatty and thinny Edwards because of their size.
Lol, Jane, I went there also and went to fatty Edwards house in Weatheroak Road, Sparkbrook when he was sick once. You're bit younger I believe, I was there from 1959 to 1961 and my sister went to Highgate Girls

Back