• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlain, G.

theodore

master brummie
Hi,

I know some of you like a challenge so this post re George Chamberlain, born 1887 Kidderminster. No census records found for 1891, 1901 or 1911 for George (why?). We find him on 1939 register (plus wife and son). What is known about George is that he married Violet Maud Walker 1908, during WW1 served in the Worcestershire Regiment (2nd Bn.) and was a PoW (13.5.1918) and he died Sept. Q. 1969 aged 72.
So what was he doing in those early years (up to 1911)? most likely enlisted (Worcesters) 1904/5 from his service number. Have found baptism that could be him (15th October 1887, mother Emma no fathers name). Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter

I think I've found him in 1891. His mother Emma Chamberlain was either the illegitimate daughter of Mary Ann Chamberlain or the daughter of her and her husband Noah Branford before they married.

George appears to be listed as Brandford (grandson) with Noah (incorrectly listed as Thomas) and Mary, Stourport St Kidderminster.

Thanks for the above info and I assume this is based on the baptism details I found and that they are in fact (the baptism record) for the George Chamberlain I need.

I also have an address (1918 about) 23 Bromsgrove street, Kidderminster.

Peter

Everything seems to match...

Emma Chamberlain birth reg. Kidderminster Jun qtr 1865, no mmn. Baptism 28 Oct 1865, parents listed as Noah & Mary Ann Chamberlain (a not uncommon fib).

Mary Ann Chamberlain marries Noah Branford, reg. Mar qtr 1869. Emma listed as Branford 1871 & 1881.

Emma marries George Preston, reg. Dec qtr 1892.

Emma has also has an illegitimate daughter Rhoda (died young) and a sister of the same name.

There is no other birth registration that matches the 1891 George Branford.

If the baptism is the correct one it would seem to tie up (although a bit complecated) but still need to find him on 1901 and 1911 census.

Back