• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

Here are the names my husband remembers:
Ian Davidson (English), George Tustin and ?Gregory (Maths), Howard Carter, Pip May and ? Firth (French), J Roberts, B Hutton (both Geography), Trog Evans (History), Arnie Faulkner and Mick Doss (Physics), "Knocker" Harris (Biology), DRW (PE - initials from a report), T Sandland (Music), C G Thomas (known as Taffy - RE whose son was in my husband's year). Others include Karabis, and Headmasters Ockleton and Goodfellow (later Head of Moseley Grammar and then the comp).
Anyone know who the initials refer to? He also has a 1970 whole school photo.

Janice
Tim Sandland was Music (1st year only for most of us) Geography was Jasper Roberts, as opposed to Gasper Roberts (brother?) DRW was Weightman.

Here is the Photo from school year 1966/67. I've named the teachers below - some I don't recall having a nick name - or maybe I've forgotten. I'm definitely on this one but for the life of me I don't recognise myself on the 1970 take despite knowing I was on it and which side I was on - I have a good idea but maybe it was the long hair. The staff were pretty much the same in 1970 though there are a few new faces on that photo that I don't recognise - from 1970 photo these are the new faces , 5th one in from the right of the men in white coats is 'Ron' Peck, 5th one to the right of the New Head, Mr Goodfellow is 'Rick' O'shea and 11th to the right of the head is the music teacher Mr Sandlands aka 'Flower'

I bet there weren't many schools that could boast having staff with names and initials A Badman and A Goodfellow!

? denotes that I have no idea what they taught!

Caretaker (and Wife?)
'Arnie Mole' Faulkner - Physics
'Splinter' Talbot - Woodwork
'Georgie' Karavis - ?
'Jock' Rowley - Metalwork
'Ali' Badmam - French
'Trog' Evans - History
'Brasper' Roberts - English and Latin
'Micky' Sellis - Maths
'Kinky' Davidson - ?
'Frankie' Howard - ?
'Knocker' Harris - Biology
'Cag' Carter - French
'Broo' Pool - Art
'Neck' Gregory Maths chess club and catholic assembly
'Zombie' Norton Maths science and cross country coach
'Tommy' Reader - English?
'Ted' Phillips - ?
'Pip' May - French and Deputy Head
Mr Ockleton Headmaster
School Secretary
'Johny' Wakely - English
'Sammy' Row - Maths
'Andy' Firth - French
'Jona' Jones - Music
'Alice' McKekney - ?
'Slasher' Walker - English
'Titch' Harris - History
'Blob' Harbour - Chemistry
Mr Gunter - Science
Colin Mcfadyen - PE sports and History
'Crut' aka Ben Hutton - RE and Geography
'Jasper' Roberts - Geography
'Ernie' Samways - English?
'Taffy' Thomas - RE
'Sam Doble' - Sports and PE and Biology

In 1966/67 school year we had first ever female teacher.

Faces that don't appear on either photos:
Mr Greatorex - Art
'Jerry'- Liddle Maths
'Mike' Pilling - English (in 1966 replaced by Mr Walker)
'Malc' Doss - Physics
B D Roberts - Assistant Head 1970/71 school year onwards

In 1966/67 term Broo Pool replaced Mr Greatorex as art master. He in turn was replaced by Ron Peck in 1967/68. We also had 2 further maths teachers one in 1967 the other in 1970/71 but dont recall their names.

'Jona'Jones was replaced by mr Sandlands in 1967/8.
Mr Ockleton replaced by Mr A Goodfellow about 1967/68. He also taught 5th form physics in 1970/71.

In 1970/71 a new deputy Headteacher, B D Roberts replaced Pip May.
Just saw myself! 4th from right in front row - shorts & long socks, Dick Ellis At End, Paddy Cullen next.
Couldn't see myself on the 1970 - but here in 1st year!

Alice Mckekny was there for 1 year only? we called her Jockeline!

Paul, my husband, agrees. He doesn't remember Dixon either.
Dixon must have been before my time but 'Effendi" sounds familiar, maybe I read it somewhere else on this site? As far as I know the last of the really old staff was Greatorex who left in 66.
We had several old copies of The Hammer given to us upon joining - Effendi (F N Dixon) had been a regular contrinuor - well remember the name - but he had left by 66

Hi, new member here and very happy to have found this forum which will help me and my father research his life.
I have been scanning my father's old photographs and came across these two pictures of C.G.S. Rugby Teams from 1946/7 and 1947/8. I thought they might be of interest to someone.

1946-1947.jpg

This one has a few signatures on the back, but in random order so can't match the names to the faces.
John Woodward, H.A Bolton, J.Woods, R.N.Raven (best guess), Ray Foe, J.Hemming, L.Bradley, M.Peters, I.Shirley, J.F.Roberts (captain), J.Pritchett, G.R.Wallis, R.Jones, B.Luckett & D.J.Shane. My father, Brian Chellingworth, is front right.

1947-1948.jpg

Coincidentally I came across this medal a week or so ago and started making enquiries about it's origins on another forum.
2ijln4i.jpg

2v0nxqh.jpg

With lot's of help and diligent research the conclusion is that they are from Central Secondary School which was then based in Suffolk Street. The school then developed into Central Grammar. At the time of this medal the sports day was held at Elmdon Road, Selly Park.
Thank you for posting this. My grandfather was a pupil at the Central Secondary School in Suffolk Street and I have the school sports cup he won for running and the long jump in 1911/12. I have tried everywhere to find information about the school but didn't realise it ended up in Gressel Lane. He was born in 1895 and was very proud of the school.

Bob Weightman hit me on my bottom with a cricket bat which he had chalked,in blue, on it OMO. All because I finished last on a cross country run. I would normally finished in top 3 !! Really nice guy though.
He also sent me off in a rugby game for HACKING when an oppo ent had fallen on the ball. I thought you could.

I was in BLACK house. COLIN STARK 1958 until .....until released. in 1963

Any other pals ??

Georgie Carabis, correct spelling Karavis was Greek and a Maths teacher. How appropriate!
Hello Lumpammer. Like you, I was at CGS from 1960 to 1965; am wondering who you are. Your name, your forms or the pupils you were closest to might help me. Thank you in anticipation. Mystic Dirk.

Hi, new member here and very happy to have found this forum which will help me and my father research his life.
I have been scanning my father's old photographs and came across these two pictures of C.G.S. Rugby Teams from 1946/7 and 1947/8. I thought they might be of interest to someone.

View attachment 129756

This one has a few signatures on the back, but in random order so can't match the names to the faces.
John Woodward, H.A Bolton, J.Woods, R.N.Raven (best guess), Ray Foe, J.Hemming, L.Bradley, M.Peters, I.Shirley, J.F.Roberts (captain), J.Pritchett, G.R.Wallis, R.Jones, B.Luckett & D.J.Shane. My father, Brian Chellingworth, is front right.

View attachment 129755

Tony. We may have met through our work. I used to work for Intercoat Paints, are you the same Tony Chell I used to deal with? Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Colin,

If you lived in Leycroft Avenue, do you remember the absolutely gorgeous blond girl who lived in Leycroft and went to Sir Wilfs. I think she would be three or so years below our year, maybe two below yours.

Bob Weightman hit me on my bottom with a cricket bat which he had chalked,in blue, on it OMO. All because I finished last on a cross country run. I would normally finished in top 3 !! Really nice guy though.
He also sent me off in a rugby game for HACKING when an oppo ent had fallen on the ball. I thought you could.

I was in BLACK house. COLIN STARK 1958 until .....until released. in 1963

Any other pals ??

I do remember that incident
I am Colin Smith [Smiff] and was is the same series of forms as you 1M up until I left in 1963.
I believe you lived in one of the bungalows behind the school ? [Jet black hair and tons of Brycream ?]

Most of the time I hung around with Barry Whitehouse / Alan Conyers /John 'Soapy 'Hudson / and John Kelly
Alan and John Kelly went into the police force and Barry and I went into print.

Sadly I wasted my five years and did not get a 'wake up call' until it was too late.
Indeed I focussed on my career from then on and have done reasonably well [still enjoying going to work part time-
ink in my veins I am afraid]

I recently dug out a framed panoramic photo of the whole of the school which was taken in April 1959.
It was destined to go to the tip but in the meantime I have spoken to a member of staff at Tile Cross
Academy and they would like to have it. It has now been cleaned up ready to be delivered to them.

Colin Smith
1958 - 1963

I do remember that incident
I am Colin Smith [Smiff] and was is the same series of forms as you 1M up until I left in 1963.
I believe you lived in one of the bungalows behind the school ? [Jet black hair and tons of Brycream ?]

Most of the time I hung around with Barry Whitehouse / Alan Conyers /John 'Soapy 'Hudson / and John Kelly
Alan and John Kelly went into the police force and Barry and I went into print.

Sadly I wasted my five years and did not get a 'wake up call' until it was too late.
Indeed I focussed on my career from then on and have done reasonably well [still enjoying going to work part time-
ink in my veins I am afraid]

I recently dug out a framed panoramic photo of the whole of the school which was taken in April 1959.
It was destined to go to the tip but in the meantime I have spoken to a member of staff at Tile Cross
Academy and they would like to have it. It has now been cleaned up ready to be delivered to them.

Colin Smith
1958 - 1963
Boy -do I remember the Brylcream ! I think we tried to be a bit like BILLY FURY. I used to hang about with Leo Sheldon, Andrew Thomas and Charlie Ollis. I can't remember many others. Derek Buxton has sent in a school pic from 1962. Yes -you can see my mop of black hair !! Which one are you,Colin ?? Very best wishes

Boy -do I remember the Brylcream ! I think we tried to be a bit like BILLY FURY. I used to hang about with Leo Sheldon, Andrew Thomas and Charlie Ollis. I can't remember many others. Derek Buxton has sent in a school pic from 1962. Yes -you can see my mop of black hair !! Which one are you,Colin ?? Very best wishes
Hello Colin
I remember Leo Sheldon [dark hair /dry humour / had "NOSMO KING "written on his bike frame -took me a while
to work that one out.] I believe Ollis lived in a largish Victorian house in Albert Road, Stechford where his father ran a business. Bit vague about Thomas ]
I have not looked at the photo you refer to yet but if you have a copy of the 1959 one I am on the front row [sitting on the floor in front of Sir Rodney -blonde hair with a fringe -was I really like that !

Hello. New here. I attended Central from 71 to 76. I do have a copy of the school photo from 1974. I think that was the final photo before we became Byng Kendrick Central.

welcome to the forum martin...i am sure our members would love to see that photo please....enjoy

lyn

Here you go....

Attachments

• E4269575-CAC0-4E3D-9303-B3D2520C1BAE.jpeg
    E4269575-CAC0-4E3D-9303-B3D2520C1BAE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • F6794834-660F-4809-B6B1-18AE755791F4.jpeg
    F6794834-660F-4809-B6B1-18AE755791F4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • BB7390EE-98BA-44C0-B6F9-3E5A4C47E18A.jpeg
    BB7390EE-98BA-44C0-B6F9-3E5A4C47E18A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 6EEC0B01-22A7-45A0-B1FC-CC4F95D48A73.jpeg
    6EEC0B01-22A7-45A0-B1FC-CC4F95D48A73.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • 9278ADE7-017A-4E5B-9A4E-8950A01645BB.jpeg
    9278ADE7-017A-4E5B-9A4E-8950A01645BB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
great addition to this thread martin....with a bit of luck we may have some ex pupils on the forum who are in the photos

lyn

If you scroll back to page 3 of this thread and #51 then you will find the 1970 school photo in sections. Are you on it? There is quite a discussion about the staff on there as well as some pupils.
Yes, I am at the end of the fifth row up on the left photo

I was there 1964 to 1970 . Teachers I remember ,headmaster Mr Ockleton . Pip May ,deputy head, always rode a bike in to school with his gown flapping behind him. Looked like Mr pastry...chemistry teacher : "Blob" Harber sometimes known as pearl. Physics : Toby greatrex .. Also Knocker Harris. french Cag Carter and Mrs McKechnie. History was Mr Jones. English was Kinky Davies... maths was Mr Sallis and "Crut" Hutton .P.E was Rob Weightman, and Sam Doble ( ex Moseley full back and British lion, tragically died) , Colin Macfaddean .these two were rugby teachers. Mr "Fanny Firth" was another French teacher . Mr Taffy Thomas was history.A.J Smith was head boy. Will add more as I remember.

I was there 1964 to 1970 . Teachers I remember ,headmaster Mr Ockleton . Pip May ,deputy head, always rode a bike in to school with his gown flapping behind him. Looked like Mr pastry...chemistry teacher : "Blob" Harber sometimes known as pearl. Physics : Toby greatrex .. Also Knocker Harris. french Cag Carter and Mrs McKechnie. History was Mr Jones. English was Kinky Davies... maths was Mr Sallis and "Crut" Hutton .P.E was Rob Weightman, and Sam Doble ( ex Moseley full back and British lion, tragically died) , Colin Macfaddean .these two were rugby teachers. Mr "Fanny Firth" was another French teacher . Mr Taffy Thomas was history.A.J Smith was head boy. Will add more as I remember.
Hi Jeff, welcome to the group. I know its very short notice but there is a meet up of some of us who started in 1965 in Maidenhead this weekend. . ian lane

You were in the same year as me. See previous posts. You should be on the school photo I posted

I was there from 1955 to 1961. School photo from 1959 attached.

Attachments

• 07 - left.jpg
    07 - left.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 08 - middle left.jpg
    08 - middle left.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 09 - middle.jpg
    09 - middle.jpg
    818 KB · Views: 43
  • 10 - middle right.jpg
    10 - middle right.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 11 - right.jpg
    11 - right.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 48
Heard on the Central Grammer School facebook page That Mr Hutton died yesterday
My 1st year form tutor 1966 + Local geography
:sweat:
Yes that is sad. He was my form teacher in class 1P, 1965. Had him for RE and Geography. Still have my yr1 note book with stuff on Bryntail. Stood no nonsense. But was a good teacher. Anyone caught talking while he was teaching could expect to receive a well aimed piece of chalk bouncing off the top of their head. RIP

I think you will find Saltley grammer was in Belchers Lane!
Central was in Gressel lane after Cherrywood Road.
It was between one part of St Wilfred Martineau and Byng Kendrick Girls.
Central & Byng merged just after I left - '72 after 5 years of straining at the fence!
Now called the International School.
Byng always had red blazers. Sir Wilfred had green piping on their black blazers
Brian
Having spent five happy years at Central Grammar School, (1948-1953), I would like to add a few memories of my own to the above comments. Sir Rodney Pasley was the perfect headmaster, supported by an excellent staff, including Mr Merryman, (Music), Mr Paddock, (Maths), Mr Dixon, (German), Mr "Caggy" Carter (French), Mr "Pippy" May (French), Mr Greatrex (Art), Mr Evans (History), Mr Heslop (Maths), Mr Weightman (PE), Mr Faulkner (English) and Mr Reader (English).

In my form was Nicholas (later Nicol) Williamson who, despite an unpleasant demeanour, became a well known film star playing mostly "baddies" in a variety of films. Two other Old Boys who made their marks in later years were Sam Doble and Colin McFaddyen, members of England's Rugby Team.
Sir Rodney was a great Head. I was there 1950-55.
Enjoyed it so much.
Derek Croome
[email protected]

Back