• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Central Grammar, International School Tile Cross

Dixon must have been before my time but 'Effendi" sounds familiar, maybe I read it somewhere else on this site? As far as I know the last of the really old staff was Greatorex who left in 66.
I seem to remember we used to call him"Toby", anyway here are the rules of cricket, not quite as convaluted as "Effendi" s version but still funny

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

Yes Its old but its a goodie!!

The last post on this thread was about cricket so its apt that the next one relates to cricket too.

By chance I came across an article this morning about a lad who attended Central between 1965 - 70. If you knew Yardley in the 70s and like cricket you will find his books of interest. Although he was not within my circle of friends (probably because I was no lover or follower of cricket) there are a number of references to characters in his first book that I remember from my time at Central - All, or most of them can be found on the 1967 school photo!

https://cricketyorkshire.com/deafblind-cricket-author/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Too-Bad-Diaries-Teenage/dp/153995045X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531556146&sr=1-2&refinements=p_27:paul+Duffin

The links are are not for commercial purposes as any proceeds from the sale of his books are intended solely for charitable causes (less costs).

Last edited:
I seem to remember we used to call him"Toby", anyway here are the rules of cricket, not quite as convaluted as "Effendi" s version but still funny

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

Read this to the wife and she said that we now know the ins and outs of the game now. Sounds as if it were scripted by Abbot and Costello!

I remember Frank Norman Dixon, aka "Daddy" Dixon , aka Effendi , as teaching French during my years at Central ( approx 53 -59 ) He wrote a comic piece for the school magazine every year under the nom de plume , "Effendi" and was a generally well liked guy with a keen , dry , sense of humour even in class . During my time there , "Pip" May and "Cag" Carter where the other two french teachers . "Toby" Greatorex taught art and a maths teacher named Smith was deputy head to Sir Rodney Paisley .
Also during my time , John Lodge , who went on to fame and fortune with the rock band , The Moody Blues , was a fellow pupil .

Last edited:
Hello and many thanks Sandy:
You are the third person to identify with Central Grammar School and 'my school'
But the first to remember the smelly paint factory.
Cherrywood road rings a faint bell in my 80-year-old head.
Do you recognise anything else from my description posted earlier please?
Best regards,
TedB
I was at Central from 53 to 59 and remember the smell from the paint factory too , before the school re located to Gressel Lane
. . Also remember hanging over the bridge each morning before school where the main railway line passed under Bordesley Green Road , with a small group of other kids collecting train numbers in their , Ian Allen , trainspotters books and all eagerly awaiting the morning express , hoping it was a "namer" .

Last edited:
I was at Central Grammar 1952 to 1958 - approx!!!
I remember a 15 minuit walk to the swimming baths and a long ride on a bus to the playing fields next to the old QE hospital(handy when I broke my ankle playing rugby)
The local shop on the corner of Cherrywood Road where you could buy 1 fag. I remember a small pub up the road with the odd name of The Why Not Inn
I remember that bus trip well . . I hated playing rugby ! One year I returned to school after the summer holidays with an acute case of Athletes foot and a doctors note excusing me from all sports , "until further notice" . I treasured that note like it was the Turin Shroud , carefully ironing it regularly and producing it for weeks at every appropriate moment , for long after my feet were better .

Last edited:
. . Does anyone have a copy of an official Central Grammar School photo from anytime between 1953 and 1959 ?

. . Or remember the school trip to Paris , over the Easter long weekend of either 1958 or 1959 ?
We were under the supervision of a French teacher , "Cag" Carter , and the music teacher , possibly ,"Jona" Jones .
There were groups from several other Birmingham grammar schools and we all stayed at a boarding school the , "Lycée Lakanal" , in the outer suburbs of Paris .

Last edited:
welcome to the forum eric...just enjoying reading your posts...hopefully someone may have the photo you want and will post it for you..fingers crossed

lyn

welcome to the forum eric...just enjoying reading your posts...hopefully someone may have the photo you want and will post it for you..fingers crossed

lyn
. . . thanks lyn
After much moving around the world over the years my school photo went missing somewhere along the line .
However I still have the badge off my last blazer .

well at least you still have your badge eric:)..and of course your memories...look forward to reading your posts

lyn

Not a great time for me. Attended 1959 and almost immediately lost several months through illness and being hospitalised. Never settled on returning. I was the scruffy kid from the council estate who passed the 11+ and made to suffer by all the well off kids. Teachers by and large horrible. Remember being dragged around by my hair in the biology lab for not being able to answer a question - don't know the teacher's name but think he doubled up as PE and played Rugby. Caned several times too by the Head (about 1962-64.) Got bullied badly by quite a few of the other kids and ended up being a chronic truant. Left asap but did have a good career in the RN and then NHS. Took a long time to recover but hey, that's life, and I did.....All's well etc. and I guess it did teach me to have compassion for those less well off......

hello roger....such a shame your first post with us is tinged with sadness but maybe a little comfort for you know that are not you are not the first member to have experienced such difficult times...it was a different world then wasnt it...any road up as you say you came through it and did very well in life...something to be very proud of...i wonder how many of those bullies did the same...look forward to reading any future posts from you roger

all the best

lyn

hello roger....such a shame your first post with us is tinged with sadness but maybe a little comfort for you know that are not you are not the first member to have experienced such difficult times...it was a different world then wasnt it...any road up as you say you came through it and did very well in life...something to be very proud of...i wonder how many of those bullies did the same...look forward to reading any future posts from you roger

all the best

lyn
Hi Lyn. Ooops. So sorry about that ---- bit of a rant. Probably first time to mention it to anyone who was there in 55 years!! Actually really good to get it off my chest - only came across the site because a nephew now works in the nearby school and while telling him about my experiences I got curious.. So nice of you to acknowledge and it's much appreciated. Reading the other posts I'm amazed at what people remember though. Thanks again for your kind response and keep well...

no need to say sorry roger...you want to read some of my rants ive made over the years:D enjoy the forum there is lots to read and learn as well

lyn

. . Or remember the school trip to Paris , over the Easter long weekend of either 1958 or 1959 ?
We were under the supervision of a French teacher , "Cag" Carter , and the music teacher , possibly ,"Jona" Jones .
There were groups from several other Birmingham grammar schools and we all stayed at a boarding school the , "Lycée Lakanal" , in the outer suburbs of Paris .
https://www.lyc-lakanal-sceaux.ac-versailles.fr/
The Lycee seems to have been a popular place for Birmingham and some Warwickshire schools. I don't know when the first trips commenced but it was used in the early 1950's and seems to be still a favourite at the start of the 1960's.

Hi Lyn. Ooops. So sorry about that ---- bit of a rant. Probably first time to mention it to anyone who was there in 55 years!! Actually really good to get it off my chest - only came across the site because a nephew now works in the nearby school and while telling him about my experiences I got curious.. So nice of you to acknowledge and it's much appreciated. Reading the other posts I'm amazed at what people remember though. Thanks again for your kind response and keep well...
Roger
Your not alone. Never enjoyed my time there either. Though it wasnt all bad. But in year 5 I had a bad attendance record. Always joked that I took A level in truancy but never turned up for the exam. Like you, life's course has been good and everything turned out fine. Take care ☺

Hi just found this Central Grammar thread. I started in Mr Davidson's class 1S. The school was definitely in Gressel Lane. In my class as I remember were Billy Anslow, Billy Aitkens, Gerald Antiss, Ian Elton, Paul Burns, Robert Woodford, Steven Westley, Stephen Whitehead, Chris Hurst, Bryn Jones, Martin Smith, Geoff Nagle, David Evans, Roger Turner, Malcolm Marklow, Malcolm McLintock, Brian Spring, Ian Bailey. I know loads more names if anyone is interested. I did once see the School photo but I have lost the copy. Don't suppose anyone has one? Malcolm Robinson (Dub) 1964-1971

Will add more later but my husband is Paul Burns!!
There is at least one school photo (in sections) on this thread.

Will add more later but my husband is Paul Burns!!
There is at least one school photo (in sections) on this thread.
Hello, my name is Malcolm Robinson (nickname at school Dub) Paul was in my class 1S. Tell him I remember him as a very gentle giant and great sportsman. I also remember his huge sideburns! bet they have gone now. Give him my very best wishes and I hope he is very well and happy. If you are still in the B'ham area maybe we could meet up one day. I still come up there to visit my father and I know quite a few old boys from 1S.

Sorry I don't recall their names. I only remember some of those in the same year and of course class mates from Mapledene that started the same time. One exception was a lad a year older than me that lived in Cranes Park and persuaded me to go there - his name was Stephan Czajkowski.
Hi, my name is Malcolm Robinson and I guess I was in the year above you. I remember Stephan who we always called 'Chic'....can't think why! I know that Kevin McNally from Pirates of the Caribbean fame and others was in the year below you.

Hello, my name is Malcolm Robinson (nickname at school Dub) Paul was in my class 1S. Tell him I remember him as a very gentle giant and great sportsman. I also remember his huge sideburns! bet they have gone now. Give him my very best wishes and I hope he is very well and happy. If you are still in the B'ham area maybe we could meet up one day. I still come up there to visit my father and I know quite a few old boys from 1S.
You are quite correct - he did have sideburns - still there when we married but long since gone! He taught, for a while, combining maths with sport. We live in Moseley. I posted his school photo in sections on #51 - Paul says he remembers your name but cannot picture you - are you on the photo?

You are quite correct - he did have sideburns - still there when we married but long since gone! He taught, for a while, combining maths with sport. We live in Moseley. I posted his school photo in sections on #51 - Paul says he remembers your name but cannot picture you - are you on the photo?
I am sure when I new Paul he lived in Shard End but I may well be wrong, I think our room was room 6, he sat in the last row but one on the window seat. Next to Paul's row, along the back row of desks was Bryn Jones, Chris Hurst, David Palfrey, me then Rob Woodford. In the early years I was friends with David Palfrey, Roger Turner, Ian Elton, David Evans and John Goodby, all boys from my Junior School. Later I made friends with a little group including Martin Smith, Derek Naylor, Steve Westley, Gerard Antiss and Chris Ackland. I am on the 1970 photo, by then I was very good friends with Martin Smith, John Clegg, Jim McLenahan, Martin Windmill, Paul Ford, Gerrard Ford, 'Dick' Barton. I am on the fourth photo the one of the right hand side of the group. If Paul finds Mr Norton I am directly behind him and on the same row directly to my right is Martin Smith. Regards Malcolm

He did live in Shard End. I will get him to look athrough the photo when he comes back in. You have a good memory!

He did live in Shard End. I will get him to look athrough the photo when he comes back in. You have a good memory!
If Paul was a Central Boy were you a Byng Kendrick girl or did you meet later as adults? And looking back on my posts, I have been off here for a while, I noticed you helped me with a census query, before I obviously new the connection through Paul, so thank you for that too. I have just thought it may have been Philip Collins who sat next to Paul. I think we had to sit in alphabetical order up then down the desk rows. And ask him if he ever had a crack across the head from "Knocker" Harris, a basketball thrown at him while he hung from the gym wall bars or flicked across the backside with a towel if he didn't clear the changing rooms quick enough. All practices I suffered but I'm sure would cause a great scandal these days. Malcolm Robinson

We met later when we both taught in the same school. He says - no to "knocker" Harris, no to the basketball but yes to the towel! Now a couple for you - were you ever made to wear a towel when you forgot your PE kit? Were you ever flicked on the ear by an elastic band wielded by Pip May (deputy Head)? Or did you ever have the "pump" off Brian Firth? I bet you were never suspended by Alan Goodfellow. He has a story about "knocker" Harris - he will tell you later.
If you allow "conversations" then I will send you Paul's email address and mobile number privately so you can converse without me being a go-between and without boring the members of this forum with your reminiscences.

We met later when we both taught in the same school. He says - no to "knocker" Harris, no to the basketball but yes to the towel! Now a couple for you - were you ever made to wear a towel when you forgot your PE kit? Were you ever flicked on the ear by an elastic band wielded by Pip May (deputy Head)? Or did you ever have the "pump" off Brian Firth? I bet you were never suspended by Alan Goodfellow. He has a story about "knocker" Harris - he will tell you later.
If you allow "conversations" then I will send you Paul's email address and mobile number privately so you can converse without me being a go-between and without boring the members of this forum with your reminiscences.
I take your point but how do you allow 'conversations'. And yes to wearing a towel and worse still having to wear someone else's filthy kit out of the lost property box, no to the elastic band, yes many times the pump for forgetting to bring my homework in. Never suspended either that sounds interesting. Malcolm

I think if you click on your name top right and select "privacy" one of the options is to allow conversations. Alternatively you could click on my avatar and then "start a conversation" and send me your mobile or email so he can contact you.

Hi just found this Central Grammar thread. I started in Mr Davidson's class 1S. The school was definitely in Gressel Lane. In my class as I remember were Billy Anslow, Billy Aitkens, Gerald Antiss, Ian Elton, Paul Burns, Robert Woodford, Steven Westley, Stephen Whitehead, Chris Hurst, Bryn Jones, Martin Smith, Geoff Nagle, David Evans, Roger Turner, Malcolm Marklow, Malcolm McLintock, Brian Spring, Ian Bailey. I know loads more names if anyone is interested. I did once see the School photo but I have lost the copy. Don't suppose anyone has one? Malcolm Robinson (Dub) 1964-1971

Hi Malcolm,
Well bugger me, I've been searching the internet , on and off, for the last year of so, trying to track down Central Grammar Old Boys, then when doing something else came upon this site, only to find you had posted something just last week...what amazing luck.
So yes , I'm still Ian Elton, late of Holifaste Road , then Erdington, then Bolton and since 2006 Lost in France. I am occasionally in touch with Dereck (Des) Naylor who was eventually to become my Best Man, and he still meets up with Matt Smith (now a travelling Shakespearean Actor). But otherwise, leaving the area then the country rather interfered with keeping in touch !
Have to say I marvel at your ability to remember names from all those years ago, even as far back as Blakenhale Junior...some times I struggle to remember what the day of the week it is!
We only occasionally visit England( we have a cottage up in the Lakes.)..but please keep in touch I'm looking forward to catching up with what has happened to you and the rest...after all it is only 50 years (or there about)

Speak soon

Ian

Back