• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Central Fire Station Hq

Great to see pictures of central Fire station.Did my training there when started out on Birmingham Ambulance in early 1970s.I live in Dorset now and went recently Lulworth Castle and on display there is bicycle with basket on the front and Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service sign and logo.I wrote and enquired awhere they got it from,but unfortunatly no records.Strange to see it down here in Dorset

Thank you Derelict UK for some of the most fascinating photo`s I`ve ever seen. Who would believe the beauty disguised behind that facade. Many thanks again.

I walk past here every lunchtime from work. Not sure what they are doing inside of it now.

A few photos I took 2 years ago

West Midlands Fire Service Headquarters by ell brown, on Flickr

West Midlands Fire Service Headquarters by ell brown, on Flickr

Last time I took photos of the Forward coat of arms

Forward - West Midlands Fire Service by ell brown, on Flickr

Forward - West Midlands Fire Service by ell brown, on Flickr

This is near one of the subways (Potters Subway)

Max Height signs at the back of Aston University by ell brown, on Flickr

With all the noise going on at the Aston University demolition site (on the other side of Aston Street) it makes it sound like they are doing something inside the old HQ, but am sure it is the demolition work on the Aston Uni site (and not the HQ).

hope you are right ell..ive emailed someone who will be able to update us as to whats going on with the station...as soon as i receive a reply i will post any news..

lyn

I noticed that the gate was open today at the front. Not sure why though.

I once went inside for a job interview (around 4 years ago) but didn't get it (admin based).

Think the new HQ is in the Vauxhall area (although I haven't seen it yet).

The old one only says "West Midlands" on it now rather than "West Midlands Fire Service" as it once did.

Is hard to not look at the demolition site next door, they just blew up the two towers at the weekend.

They had to be careful as there is Victorian water and gas mains.

Aston University tower blocks demolished

'Vibration damage'

He said: "The logistics of working on a live campus, live services - there were a lot of services that had to be diverted in and around the site before the implosion could take place.
"We also had complications of a Victorian water main and gas mains and adjacent footpath that had to monitored on the day in case of any vibration damage."

Aston University - After the towers have gone by ell brown, on Flickr

Think the new HQ is in the Vauxhall area

It is located on the Vauxhall Rd on the site of the old Co-op Dairy. Dek

l was born in central firestation 1938 and lived ther until 1949. l am very sad to see demise of central.My father was a fireman during the war and after and both my parents lived happily there, my mother was sad to leave it ,was like living in a village in the centre of birmingham. J,Rayns

hi firemans daughter and a warm welcome to the forum...well how absolutely fascinating that you were born inside the station..please if you have anymore memories of your time there or any photos that you could post on the forum we would love to hear about both...

lyn.

Remember the canteen and the social club inside central.Done my 6 weeks initial Ambulance service training there.Would call into A1 on regular basis for years afterwards and got to know many of the fireman there.Loved the flats around the main courtyard how interesting to have been born there and lived there as a child. Always remember the main staircase always smelled of wax furniture polish,Spent many hours learning how to use a carrying chair up and down that staircase

Hi Firmans daughter Janet
I am the daughter of Pamela Pegg. Mum said do you remember the parties as a child and the concert parties run by Mrs Alden that grandmar sang in. Mum said she felt very safe in the war living at the station and remembers going down to the underground training tunnels to sleep during the bombing. Mum also remembered the night the station was hit by incendry bombs and mrs Brows flat next door to them was hit. What a terrible mess it made.
Nanny sadley passed away in 2008 aged 97 but had many stories to tell of her time living there.
Check out annieapple to read my posts as there are a few interestring photos.
Mum sends her best wishes
Annie

Reading that there are plans to convert this into student accommodation, and plans to build a tower on here, I decided to get some photos on a walk around the outside of it.

View from James Watt Queensway

Former West Midlands Fire Service Headquarters building by ell brown, on Flickr

Lancaster Circus

nice pics ell..i was going to be cheeky today and go in and try to talk to someone as the main gates were open but decided against it...we already have some great pics of the wonderful art decco inside the station but what i want to know is how much of it is to be retained..a lot of us have feared for this bulding for some time now...i will make enquires in the morning...i cant believe just how many student accomodations that are being built in brum...

lyn.

Thanks

I saw several signs for it being currently used as a car park.

I'm not sure - a lot of the windows look of the 1930s period - not sure how they will work as student bedroom windows.

Theres several shop fronts on Aston Street that are vacant. Some used to say West Midlands Fire Service, but you can see them painted over in green.

I don't even remember when it ceased being the Central Fire Station, although it must have been when the words "Fire Service Headquarters" disappeared.

Thanks for that link Alf. I've already read it.

Slightly out of date since Aston University had Lawrence and Dalton Tower's demolished.

Back