• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Central Fire Station Hq

I take pictures for a local music newspaper (like the NME but free) and they have asked me to do a column on our 'Lost City' of Birmingham, I started the issue off with the Central Fire station, I have included a link to the large file so you can all read through it. Please tell me what you think. I finished the column off with a link to the petition too :).

bcfsnpsml.jpg

https://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1065/bcfnp.jpg

Very good. I hope you will give us links to any future articles on old buildings
Mike

Thanks for showing us those super pictures of Central Fire Station.

It's amazing how many different Threads showed the old fire station, transport pictures in particular whether it be Buses, Trams, or even Brewery Wagon there was the Birmingham icon Central Fire Station.

I think there was a few red faces we Halfords Building burnt down the fire spent days damping down.

I dont know if it's true but the story I heard was a lady cleaner was walking past the Halfords Building that morning and went to the fire station to ask if somebody cuold have a look at the roller door at the far end of the building as smoke was coming out.

I believe fire went to the door saw the smoke lifted the roller door which allow air in and the fire shot up the lift shaft.

I remember on the end of Halfords Building was The National Cash Register Firm.

Well looks like good old Birmingham Council will do what Hilter couldn't sad aint it.

Ray

Lyn my cousin said he would keep me informed and the last time we spoke he said a lot of rumours were flying around and as soon as he heard something concrete he would be in touch. Will phone him again though. Jean.

Re; Central Fire Station.
I served at Central for just over two years in the early 60's and seeing the pictures brought back some great memories. I did my initial training there as did many others from other Midland Fire Services. The BA tunnels still sooty and the crawling racks still there. I climbed the tower on the outside on hook ladder many times. Shortsighted decisions taken in haste by local council. It can never be re-built so leave it alone and as previously suggested turn it into a museum.

i wonder if you remember my Dad Arthur Davenport, He was stationed at central for about 30 years . he retired c1976 Clive
Re; Central Fire Station.
I served at Central for just over two years in the early 60's and seeing the pictures brought back some great memories. I did my initial training there as did many others from other Midland Fire Services. The BA tunnels still sooty and the crawling racks still there. I climbed the tower on the outside on hook ladder many times. Shortsighted decisions taken in haste by local council. It can never be re-built so leave it alone and as previously suggested turn it into a museum.

its seems that quite a lot of us think a museum would be a good idea for the old fire station....:) but we should not hold our breath for this happening....i am now making some more enquires as to the future of it..will get back to you when i know something...

lyn

Hello there Davenport.

I recall your Dad, Arthur, quite well, for I was also a member of Blue Watch at Central. I was there during the early 70's when your Dad was a senior member of the watch and approaching retirement.

In those days, Central was a "proper" fire station and each watch had over 30 men, manning around 10 appliances of various sorts, working a basic 56 hour week plus overtime.

Arthur was well regarded and respected by all who knew him and would pass on advice and his experience to young firemen ( as I was then ) readily.

Later, I transferred from Central and used to meet your Dad, who worked in Brigade Stores after his retirement, whenever he was out and about on the mobile uniform van and we always found time for a natter and a cup of tea.

A sad loss when he went, but always remembered with pleasant thoughts.

Regards,

Chris.

i wonder if you remember my Dad Arthur Davenport, He was stationed at central for about 30 years . he retired c1976 Clive

Hello Chris and thank you for your kind words. Dad really enjoyed the Brigade although he did not talk about the job at home much as far as i remember. It was such a shame he passed away at such an early age, he would have enjoyed his retirement in the garden so much. Mom at 86 is still with us. I have quite a few old photo's of Central Fire station, one showing every door bay open with an appliance ready to go ! how old fasioned the turntable ladder appliaces look. others showing a line up of firemen. It would be a great idea for a museum of the Fire Service where a lot of this type of memorabilia could be on view. When Dad retired he was presented with an old Fire engine bell that was mounted on a polished wooden plinth,this would make a lovely (loaned )exhibit. best regards Clive.
Hello there Davenport.

I recall your Dad, Arthur, quite well, for I was also a member of Blue Watch at Central. I was there during the early 70's when your Dad was a senior member of the watch and approaching retirement.

In those days, Central was a "proper" fire station and each watch had over 30 men, manning around 10 appliances of various sorts, working a basic 56 hour week plus overtime.

Arthur was well regarded and respected by all who knew him and would pass on advice and his experience to young firemen ( as I was then ) readily.

Later, I transferred from Central and used to meet your Dad, who worked in Brigade Stores after his retirement, whenever he was out and about on the mobile uniform van and we always found time for a natter and a cup of tea.

A sad loss when he went, but always remembered with pleasant thoughts.

Regards,

Chris.

I have a picture of my grandad William Pegg in the control room at the Central fire station during the war.I also have some old post cards that might be of interest. Look out for them on the site , I need to find them .
Annie

hi annie we would indeed love to see the photo of your grandad and any postcards you have....will keep em peeled...

lyn

hi folks..just been told that all plans are still on hold for the station as the developer has no money..chris hargreaves who was the conservation officer has now retired so when i have time i will try and find out who has taken his place and make further enquires...but for now the interior is still safe:):)

lyn

What's the betting the conservatioin officer is one of the posts that will disappear?
mike

alas you are probably right there mike...will let you know as soon as can find out whats what and whos who lol...

lyn

Back