• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

Hi , i don't think so , I only know of a George , Charlie, James [pat] all being in their 50's in the 50's. Or Sheila Kane born 1933 or a peter Kane 1940 ,all living in Small Heath at this time. Regards Kim.

There was a cafe more or less next to the Atlas Garage. on the left if you were going towards town. Dunno why but for some reason its stuck in my mind that the jukebox had a telephone type dial on the front rather than push buttons.

Hi everyone this is what I have received from a relative and wondered if anyone recognises any of the info.

Gil Merricks Cafe was a door or 2 away from that car-place Ashleys [or was] there was a Teddy-Boys outfitters about 12 shops up from there 2 houses THEN THE COLLISIUM, those were the days dead opposite was a flower shop. When I was around 14-16 used to see this girl who lived there she eventually married Ray Cartmell had 3 kids she was a hairdresser.

There was a cafe next door to Ashley Garage, clearly visible in pic #4 post 84 of this thread. but that was at the bottom of Cattell Rd / Junction of Coventry Rd. The Atlas / Garrison La. was at the top end.

Also, in the very late 60s, there was a cafe opposite the bus garage, in the premises that was formerly Johnny Skidmores record shop.

Fatfingers I really dont know the area, this info is asked for a relative in Canada. This is the next bit of info he has suppled.

Going down the Green towards the Atlas on the left hand side there were 2 Cafes the first was open till 10-00 at night that was Gwens the 2nd one was about 10 shops away rt next after an alley [entry] was a car-showroom then a shop then the terraces opposite the Atlas , they both had jukeboxes, the 2nd cafe wasnt open after 6-00pm .

He went to Alston Road school, any photos anyone? Thanks

The Blues' Cafe was the last building on the Coventry Road before Cattell Road. Next door, number 1 Cattell Road, was Ron Jeffries' chinaware shop. Ron was a striker playing for Walsall during the 50's.

Carolina..... when did your relative attend Alston Road School? I have a full list of pupils (senior boys) and staff for the 1950/51 year.

Icarus, I think he probably wasnt in the seniors until late 50s. He is on this photo front row, far right with the teeshirt on. Thanks Carol.

The Blues' Cafe was the last building on the Coventry Road before Cattell Road. Next door, number 1 Cattell Road, was Ron Jeffries' chinaware shop. Ron was a striker playing for Walsall during the 50's.

Carolina..... when did your relative attend Alston Road School? I have a full list of pupils (senior boys) and staff for the 1950/51 year.

The blues Cafe

Last edited:
Great pic, Postie. Ron Jeffries moved his chinaware business to Acocks Green village and now run by his son.

Think he used to work in Lewis's part time. Around the middle to end of December most years ! Easily recognised by his red suit.

Blimey, Postie, I certainly recognise the bloke but can't think where I've seen him. Did he sell newspapers by the horse trough?

this is tilton road school only school in the country with play ground on the roof i was there in the late sixties.

bcfc cattell rd.jpg Cattell Road...BCFC entrance and shop...late 1950's-1960.
Not sure if I had already posted this..but if I have I apologise and I would appreciate it if site moderators removed it.

thats a great pic redken..new one to me and i am sure this will interest our bcfc supporters..

lyn

Back