• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

The former Coventry Rd bus garage opposite Cattel Rd/Morrisons Supermarket now has 2 car repair garages in the big doors entrance. Len.

Lyn

In reply to your PM, these are the only photos of Cattell Rd that I have that are not already posted to this thread.

There is one of Ashley's Garage at the Coventry Rd junction with Cattell Rd, another of the other side of the road showing a tram crossing the front of The Greenway PH. There is an old one of The Atlas PH at the junction of Garrison Lane and finally one of the Marquis of Lorne before it had changed its name to Shannon's.

Phil

SmallHeathCattellRd1959.jpg
SmallHeathCoventryRd-CattellRdJunction.jpg

SmallHeathCattelRdGarrisonLaneTheAtlas.jpg
SmallHeathMarqessofLorneCattellRd.jpg

Lyn

In reply to your PM, these are the only photos of Cattell Rd that I have that are not already posted to this thread.

There is one of Ashley's Garage at the Coventry Rd junction with Cattell Rd, another of the other side of the road showing a bus crossing the front of The Greenway PH. There is an old one of The Atlas PH at the junction of Garrison Lane and finally one of the Marquis of Lorne when it had changed its name to Shannon's.

Phil

The Marquis used to have a big glass(I think) sort of dome thingy on the corner of the roof, missing in this pic. Seems a shame when architectural features like that are removed dunnit. Anybody know how it got its name, and who was the Marquis of Lorne ??

If I remember right, the Gaffer was murdered in the pub during the mid 80s.

Hi my family lived in Templefield street till they were knocked down ,my grandparents pat kane and Ida, my granddad drank at the Marquis. Their daugther Sheila Kane [Keating]

Hi Kim, I lived in Templefield St. I knew you Grandparents Pat and Ida and went to infant school with Sheila, is Sheila still about?
Nick

Kim, in the 1950s one of the crowd I went dancing with lived somewhere round there.His name was Laurence(les) Kane. Any relation?

Hi , i don't think so , I only know of a George , Charlie, James [pat] all being in their 50's in the 50's. Or Sheila Kane born 1933 or a peter Kane 1940 ,all living in Small Heath at this time. Regards Kim.

There was a cafe more or less next to the Atlas Garage. on the left if you were going towards town. Dunno why but for some reason its stuck in my mind that the jukebox had a telephone type dial on the front rather than push buttons.

Hi everyone this is what I have received from a relative and wondered if anyone recognises any of the info.

Gil Merricks Cafe was a door or 2 away from that car-place Ashleys [or was] there was a Teddy-Boys outfitters about 12 shops up from there 2 houses THEN THE COLLISIUM, those were the days dead opposite was a flower shop. When I was around 14-16 used to see this girl who lived there she eventually married Ray Cartmell had 3 kids she was a hairdresser.

There was a cafe next door to Ashley Garage, clearly visible in pic #4 post 84 of this thread. but that was at the bottom of Cattell Rd / Junction of Coventry Rd. The Atlas / Garrison La. was at the top end.

Also, in the very late 60s, there was a cafe opposite the bus garage, in the premises that was formerly Johnny Skidmores record shop.

Fatfingers I really dont know the area, this info is asked for a relative in Canada. This is the next bit of info he has suppled.

Going down the Green towards the Atlas on the left hand side there were 2 Cafes the first was open till 10-00 at night that was Gwens the 2nd one was about 10 shops away rt next after an alley [entry] was a car-showroom then a shop then the terraces opposite the Atlas , they both had jukeboxes, the 2nd cafe wasnt open after 6-00pm .

He went to Alston Road school, any photos anyone? Thanks

Back