• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Caroline Street / St Pauls Square

When looking at the 1939 census Charles Banks is pub manager at 78-79 Caroline Street but the numbers are odd on one side and even the other.Strange!

I don't think they are. I think some of the corner numbers are Northwood St.

0 - Caroline St.jpg

Don’t know if this will help but on 16/5/1953 “Hollander’s Ltd Plato Works” was at 82 Caroline Street. Source: Birmingham Daily Gazette, British Newspaper Archive.

Viv.

F4E30AA4-40CE-4982-BF9A-01E20D685C87.jpeg

Hollander was the opposite side of the junction with Northwood st., as shown in these Kellys scans from 1940 and 1969

kellys 1940 caroline st.jpgkellys 1969 caroline st (1).jpg

It seems strange to me that on the map(post 32) it was 82 when I know that the same building today is 79 same as when I worked there and the Member who started the thread is at 87 which was the Rope works which map says is 84.

It looks lik for some reason there has been a slight shift of numbers in the street recently. Certainly, as Alberta says, the corner where Hollander was is now labelled 79, but it wasn't in the past.

Here is the listing in the PO directory of 1845. I appears that there were three ladies schools in the street at nos. 8, 17 and 66

View attachment 168231
Thank you its the school at 1 and a half. Name fits perfectly with the details in my Great Grandfathers exercise book. DJRVST

Attachments

• 1646416095849.png
    1646416095849.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Does anyone remember a wine bar in Caroline Street in 1970s/80s? It was run by Lucia and they had live music, often with Norman Haines previously with Locomotive.

Back