• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cant get my sky mail

Patty

master brummie
Is anyone else having problems with their Sky mail. I use outlook for my mail and the mail from my tiscali address goes to that and my sky mail is seperate.
Know for the last couple of days when I try to get into my sky mail this comes on when I have put my password in and pressed enter
Browser Requirement: ActiveX

Gmail requires ActiveX controls to be enabled
[SIZE=-1]Your browser seems to be Internet Explorer, and ActiveX seems to be disabled. Gmail's standard view requires ActiveX to be enabled in order to operate.
To use Gmail's standard view, enable ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer. You can do this by going to the Tools menu, selecting Internet Options, Security tab, Internet zone, and either select the Default Level, or selecting Custom Level and scrolling down to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" and selecting Enable.
After enabling ActiveX controls, try again.
To use Gmail's basic HTML view, which does not require ActiveX, click here.
[/SIZE]

I tried a couple of things like going into tools and altering the compatibility settings but doesn't work. I have phoned sky up and they will look into it but how long it takes is anyones guess. Oh I am one explorer 9 by the way

Thanks Patty

Hi Patty

Try this:

Tools menu, selecting Internet Options, Security tab, Internet zone, and either select the Default Level, or selecting Custom Level and scrolling down to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" and selecting Enable.
After enabling ActiveX controls, try again to access your email.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to pass on that as I had never heard of 'Sky Mail' until today. Just had a thought it that what Guilbert responded to a query about?

I dont know if this will work sky has now joined forces with google I believe so you no longer to add @sky.com just your username and password Hope this may help

tHANKS ALL SORRY i HAVE ONLY JUST GOT BACK BUT i HAVE BEEN MAKING HALLOWEEN CAKES ALL DAY WITH MY GRANDAUGHTER. TRIED MOST THINGS YOU SUGGESTED I MIGHT JOIN GOOGLE AGAIN ALTHOUGH i ALREADY HAVE JOINED, JUST TO SATISFY MYSELF

Hi I think Google are just supplying a service to Sky so you should not need to join Google.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

I give up now I have been messing all morning and could be doing more harm than good, I have just noticed there is something changed on the top of my ssreen I have file edit view etc twice on there and another strange thing I will take a photo and show you if it works forgot how to do a screen shot

001.jpg

Can you see at the top what I mean and that black and grey band, whats that all about? I think something is trying to tip me over the edge lol.

I dont believe it it is back to normal now, I will have to get my little man in and check it over, I didn't really want to spend but looks like I will have to.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pest but you know I don't like to be beaten, had a look in controls and what programs I have on and cant seem to see Active X there, should I download it. I have been looking but I am worried about which site to go to to make sure it is safe. Can anyone put me a safe link on please x

Hi Patty,
You don't need to download ActiveX. If you have IE then it is already installed. ActiveX is sent as small 'add ons' by many internet sites, and the security settings in your Internet Explorer decide whether you accept them or not
For explanation see...https://www.microsoft.com/security/resources/activex-whatis.aspx
Have a look at your IE security settings as per Bernie's post #2 you should see something like the pics below.
You could also try opening your email by typing its address directly into the address bar rather than using the tool bar.
If they are as in the pics below then some other settings may need changing and maybe you could temporarily try access with a different browser such as Firefox or Google's Chrome.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 5
yes I did all that and it looks the same as yours, I thought adobe had activex on it I dont always update those perhaps that is the answer

thanks oldMohawk it's not just me then, I did ring them the begining of the week and they said they would get back to me but I havenot heard anything, they cant mail me he he

Hi Patty - I don't use Sky but looking through some of their answers to complaints etc, I'm not impressed - 'chocolate teapot' comes to mind ...
I use BT email for important stuff - they are my internet provider. I access it through either Yahoo or Thunderbird since W7 did not have Outlook Express.
I have one GMail account for family and friends and people I know.
I have a second GMail account for people and organisations I don't know.

I still use tiscali as the one that goes into outlook that is fine but when I had the package from sky they must have put this on automatically and some people use the sky mail I don't know why I will have to see if I can contact them and tell them to use my other one and somehow close the sky on that would be the easiest I think

I'd be very surprised if you can't access your Sky mail on their website. Have you tried?

That could prevent confusion Patty and save you having to check two addresses for stuff that has been routed into the Spam Folder.

Gmail requires ActiveX controls to be enabled
[SIZE=-1]Your browser seems to be Internet Explorer, and ActiveX seems to be disabled. Gmail's standard view requires ActiveX to be enabled in order to operate.
To use Gmail's standard view, enable ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer. You can do this by going to the Tools menu, selecting Internet Options, Security tab, Internet zone, and either select the Default Level, or selecting Custom Level and scrolling down to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" and selecting Enable.
After enabling ActiveX controls, try again.
To use Gmail's basic HTML view, which does not require ActiveX, click here.
[/SIZE]
This is what happens when i try to sign in I give up know and will give them another ring later and tell them I want something off my next bill, perhaps that will make them do something

I sometimes get that first message on the Windows Update site and click it. If you're unsure make a System Restore point and try it. On the other hand you could try the second option. Personally, I think they're legitimate notices.

Hooray thanks did system restore and it has worked, dont know why I didn't do it before. Just will have some downloads to re installed i will see which one makes it play up again, Java is asking me to update but I havent as yet do I need to update everything that shows up?

I'm glad you got it sorted. Actually, I didn't suggest a System Restore, what I suggested was setting a System Restore point so that if anything went pear shaped you could restore to at least where you were. But, if it did the trick it doesn't matter now.

Java is used so little on websites now a lot of people do without it altogether. However, if you're keeping it I think it wise to keep it up to date. As for 'everything' being updated, it depends on what it is, Usually it prudent to keep all software up to date,

Thank goodness Patty it is so frustrating when something goes wrong. Glad Paul came to your rescue again as did all the other folk. What would we do without them?.

To true Jean, I did have a few other problems after I restored it, my Microsoft security kept going orange then my skype microphone must have been taken off when I restored so had to fathom how to do that. I can tell you it nearly went threw the window but I kept my cool and so far this morning we are OK fingers crossed

It sounds as if one of the updates changed the security settings - MS has a habit of doing this at times.

I think that is true Bernie it's just know which ones to download. I noticed a java one came up again since I restored, I havent clicked on it just incase. Have to keep a note of what comes up and if anything goes wrong after to make sure I know which one it is in future, Jean shhhhhhhh all ok at the minute on the computer anyway

Back