• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cant Find Photos Of A Street/rd ??

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks tomorrow i have an opportunity of looking at photos of old streets or roads before demo...if you have searched this forum to no avail please let me know what you are looking for and i will happily have a look for you...

lyn

Good afternoon Lyn. Not sure how feasible this is but from 1922 to 1927 my Gt Uncle and his wife ran the Hope and Anchor at 72 Green Street - I think this was Digbeth area. The road is still there but much of it was pulled down or bombed as far as I can tell. I think the pub was on the corner of Green street and Chapel House Street.

hi janice so are you looking for photos of green st..chapel house st or both??

lyn

Hi lyn, I've been searching for a photo of the area opposite the Barracks on Thorp Street. It was a pub called the Lord Nelson, I think it was quite small. The Ballet are on that site now. Several ancestors ran it, over the years and my Nan was born there!
I would be grateful, thanks for the offer!
rosie.

hi rosie...i cant search for pubs as such.. phil is the best one to ask for pubs but i will look for thorp st..if there are any the lord nelson maybe showing...fingers crossed:)

lyn

I really would like a photo showing the pub but either Chapel House St or Green street might show it as it seems to be on the corner. At least it would give me an idea of where they were. I don't know if they ran any more pubs in Birmingham but their last pub was in Gloucester - I believe my Gt Aunt was still running it in her 60s - apparently I was taken there as a toddler but I don't remember.

rosie

Are you sure it wasn't the Lord Rodney at the junction of Thorp Street & Hurst Street?

City Lord Rodney Hurst St 1924.JPG

Hi Phil, no it's Lord Nelson as I've got the birth certificate and several census entries for the others. It's on one of Mike's maps as PH but you have have to look closely!
rosie.

Sorry, I should have said thanks for trying!!

Hi Phil, no it's Lord Nelson as I've got the birth certificate and several census entries for the others. It's on one of Mike's maps as PH but you have have to look closely!
rosie.

Sorry, I should have said thanks for trying!!

Rosie

No please forgive me for suggesting what I think I know and not checking out the facts first. Yes the Lord Nelson was located at 41 Thorpe Street somewhat opposite the Barracks entrance. It seems to have disappeared about 1938 according to the trade directories. Sorry I don't have a photo in my collection but I will keep an eye open for one.

I really would like a photo showing the pub but either Chapel House St or Green street might show it as it seems to be on the corner. At least it would give me an idea of where they were. I don't know if they ran any more pubs in Birmingham but their last pub was in Gloucester - I believe my Gt Aunt was still running it in her 60s - apparently I was taken there as a toddler but I don't remember.

Janice

Lyn might be able to come up with something better, but in the meantime this is the junction of Chapel House Street & Green Street, so that timbered building on the right had to be the Hope & Anchor.

Deritend St Johns Chapel House Ed - Green.JPG

60a Hope and Anchor Inn and Clews Repository.jpg sorry janice and rosie no luck yet with your photos but i will be able to do another search in a couple of weeks so dont give up..at first i thought i had the hope and anchor as a drawing but i dont think it is as its on the corner of a gully...would like to know where this one was though..

Hi lyn, I'm fairly certain this was the area known as "The Gullet"!! It wasn't very nice there apparently, one of "mine" lived nearby!! I think there are some other drawings on the Forum, if I find one " I'll bring it to the top."
rosie.

Yes Rosie, you are right. Here is a photo of the same place. I;ve sharpened it a bit. I reckon the drawing may hav ebeen made from the photo.

The%20Gullet a.jpg

thanks rosie and mike...nice photo mike...i recall the name the gullet...was it on or near corporation st...

It was not far from corporation st, running down to James Watt St, as shhown on the c 1889 map, when it was about to disappear. I would think the junction in James Watt St was the scene of the drawing and photo

map c 1889 showing the gullet.jpg

hi folks tomorrow i have an opportunity of looking at photos of old streets or roads before demo...if you have searched this forum to no avail please let me know what you are looking for and i will happily have a look for you...

lyn
Hello Lyn,

I am looking for photos of Lea Road, Greet, Birmingham B11. I used to live there in the 50s to early 70s and attended Greet Primary School, Warwick Road/Percy Road which was just across the road from me as my road led on to Percy Road. The photos I have found are mainly from Google and my old house is no longer there. Many thanks for your kind offer.

Theresa

hi teresa and welcome to the forum..unfortunately that offer of a look up was 3 weeks ago so you have missed it but hopefully in a couple of weeks time i will be able to do another search so i have noted what you are looking for ...fingers crossed

lyn

hi teresa and welcome to the forum..unfortunately that offer of a look up was 3 weeks ago so you have missed it but hopefully in a couple of weeks time i will be able to do another search so i have noted what you are looking for ...fingers crossed

lyn

Thank you for responding so quickly. Maybe I will get lucky when you next search. x

hi teresa i have just done a street walk down lea road and you must be unlucky as most of the houses there look as though they have been up for many years but of course not all of them some are quite modern...just out of interest what number did you live at??

lyn

hi teresa i have just done a street walk down lea road and you must be unlucky as most of the houses there look as though they have been up for many years but of course not all of them some are quite modern...just out of interest what number did you live at??

lyn
I lived a 3 Lea Road, it is one of the houses that has now been knocked down. There are now newer houses on the site where my house used to be. Not sure when the houses were knocked down, but we were in Lea Road until the early 70s. My house was situated at the bottom of the road that leads on to Percy Road.

Thank you for your Help.
Theresa

Hi Lyn, I have been looking for photos of the houses where I was born in 1945, there were 12 houses in a terace between Kynock's gates in Witon Rd and Holdford Drive, I know it is a long shot because I think you have looked for me before, but as you are looking at new photos I just thought I would ask, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Terry

hi paddy and terry i will keep my eyes open for you and post any photos should i find any

lyn

Looking for any photos of Linwood cottages st Luke's road Highgate.
Hello Paddy,LinwoodCottages.jpg
I have a photo taken in 1960 from the Bristol Street end of St. Luke's Road looking down toward the Sherlock Street end. It shows the front part of the Linwood Cottages opposite St. Luke's Tavern on the corner of Vere Street. I have enlarged this part of the photo and have attached a copy. I hope you find this useful.
Best Wishes,
Nick.

hi nick thats a cracking photo..not seen it before so many thanks for sharing it with us...looked to be a good day for pegging out..nice and windy

lyn

Back