• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cant Find Photos Of A Street/rd ??

Hello Paddy,View attachment 141256
I have a photo taken in 1960 from the Bristol Street end of St. Luke's Road looking down toward the Sherlock Street end. It shows the front part of the Linwood Cottages opposite St. Luke's Tavern on the corner of Vere Street. I have enlarged this part of the photo and have attached a copy. I hope you find this useful.
Best Wishes,
Nick.
Hi Nick, that is a brilliant picture and so tantalisingly close to Wycliffe Baptist Church Sunday School, there was an exceedingly long thread regarding the location of a No.8 bus which was never resolved fully, we needed a picture of the windows of the Sunday School. Don't suppose you have any more pics do you?

Attachments

• St Lukes Road.jpg
    St Lukes Road.jpg
    693.3 KB · Views: 21
Hello Paddy,View attachment 141256
I have a photo taken in 1960 from the Bristol Street end of St. Luke's Road looking down toward the Sherlock Street end. It shows the front part of the Linwood Cottages opposite St. Luke's Tavern on the corner of Vere Street. I have enlarged this part of the photo and have attached a copy. I hope you find this useful.
Best Wishes,
Nick.

Indeed a great picture, and as has been said close to the elusive Wycliffe Sunday School. But it shows something could still turn up!

The doorway under the right hand article of washing could be No3 ? in 1956 there was a very tragic accident when a 2 year old boy who lived at No1 cottage Linwood Cottages ran out in front of a bus and was killed. The driver could do nothing to avoid the boy. RIP

Added...In 1921 an unfortunate 3 year old boy from No3 was admitted to hospital with severe scalds, but can't see what happened to him.)

Hi Nick, that is a brilliant picture and so tantalisingly close to Wycliffe Baptist Church Sunday School, there was an exceedingly long thread regarding the location of a No.8 bus which was never resolved fully, we needed a picture of the windows of the Sunday School. Don't suppose you have any more pics do you?
Hello,
I have five photos taken of the area in 1960. The photographer's position is marked with a red dot on the map attached. There are two taken at the Hanover Street junction: one looking down Hanover Street and the other down St. Luke's. Both are centred on the shop at the junction. The one containing Linwood Cottages which I posted, was taken opposite the alleyway between 24 & 26 St. Luke's Rd., just short of the Sunday School. The one in Vere Street looks down to St. Luke's and the one at the junction of Vere St. and St. Luke's faces the St. Luke's Tavern.
Best Wishes,
Nick.MapStLukesRoad&HanoverStreet.jpg

Hello,
I have five photos taken of the area in 1960. The photographer's position is marked with a red dot on the map attached. There are two taken at the Hanover Street junction: one looking down Hanover Street and the other down St. Luke's. Both are centred on the shop at the junction. The one containing Linwood Cottages which I posted, was taken opposite the alleyway between 24 & 26 St. Luke's Rd., just short of the Sunday School. The one in Vere Street looks down to St. Luke's and the one at the junction of Vere St. and St. Luke's faces the St. Luke's Tavern.
Best Wishes,
Nick.View attachment 141283
Hi Nick, would it be possible for you to post the St. Luke's photos here? Anton.

Hi I Would love to see these photos of Linwood cottages and St Lukes Road as I lived there in the 1950s.
paddy when you come back to a thread its always best to start reading from the last post you made so that you do not miss anything...in this case you missed a photo of linwood cottages that was posted for you on post 29 over 2 years ago so just go to post 29

lyn

hi teresa i have just done a street walk down lea road and you must be unlucky as most of the houses there look as though they have been up for many years but of course not all of them some are quite modern...just out of interest what number did you live at??

lyn
I lived at 3 Lea Road. The original house was demolished in the late 70s. Thanks for trying.

I lived at 3 Lea Road. The original house was demolished in the late 70s. Thanks for trying.
There is this aerial view of part of Lea Road dated 1951. Percy Road runs from bottom left and a red line on the right edge marks Lea Road. Another view is available of the part of Lea Road which leads on to Percy Road but it is dated 1928.
1951_PartofLeaRd.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'.......click image twice to enlarge and then scroll across it or right click and save it.

Last edited:
There is this aerial view of part of Lea Road dated 1951. Percy Road runs from bottom left and a red line on the right edge marks Lea Road. Another view is available of the part of Lea Road which leads on to Percy Road but it is dated 1928.
View attachment 178545
image source 'britainfromabove'.......click image twice to enlarge and then scroll across it or right click and save it.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post this

Aerial view (date 1928) showing part of Lea Road where it adjoins Percy Road marked with red line. Warwick Road enters bottom right and two trams in the view.
Lea Rd_Percy Rd 1928.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

Back