• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canals of Birmingham

Another view from King’s Norton.

“The Guillotine Lock, King's Norton.…At the lunction of the Stratford Canal and the Worcester and Birmingham
Canal this lock maintained a 6-inch difference in water level right up to canal nationalisation in 1948.”

Positively Birmingham by Berg, Jonathan, Publication date 1994

View attachment 179106
There is another aspect of the Guillotine lock, the picture also shows the gas distribution main behind the lock.
The picture sourced from personal pictures you can see on the LHS of the picture some reinstatement of the cleared area , and some pointing of the brickwork on the support wall following inspection on the gas main.

Attachments

• F756C084-FA27-4495-BCDB-ED88FCC79B68.jpeg
    F756C084-FA27-4495-BCDB-ED88FCC79B68.jpeg
    844.2 KB · Views: 14
The Guillotine lock is on the Stratford upon Avon Canal and replaced the earlier barge dimension lock there. It had to be barge dimensions to allow for John Walls barge to pass to Hockley Heath Wharf. Wall's barge seems to have been the only one, though. William Whitmore supplied the ironwork for this lock. It was not unique as there was an earlier example of its type at Lapworth

Whitmore also supplied the ironwork for three aqueducts, although one later was reconstructed. The split bridges are also attributed to his engineering skill.

59750AAF-1E81-4E3C-B74C-71BB1AA1B569.jpeg

200 years of transport history a few yards.…Steward Aqueduct a Grade II Listed Building. “Built in 1828 by Thomas Telford to carry the Old Main Line (Wolverhampton Level), opened in 1769 and re-aligned in 1790, over his New Main Line, on the Birmingham Level.”
Photo, Canal & inland cruising by Gagg, John (1989)

Yes nice image, which shows the different layers of transport. It should be said that Thomas Telford did not build the Steward Aqueduct, he laid out the route and Thomas Townshend was the contractor for the work in this part. As to the actual builders, it would be those who laid the bricks and stone as the canal was diverted from its original course onto the new alignment of the aqueduct.

View attachment 179471

200 years of transport history a few yards.…Steward Aqueduct a Grade II Listed Building. “Built in 1828 by Thomas Telford to carry the Old Main Line (Wolverhampton Level), opened in 1769 and re-aligned in 1790, over his New Main Line, on the Birmingham Level.”
Photo, Canal & inland cruising by Gagg, John (1989)

Steward Aqueduct was probably named after Samuel Edward Steward a Magistrate and landed proprietor of Leamington. He was also shareholder and committee member of the BCN and the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Canal.

I've posted this David Cox image somewhere on here before. It's supposed to be a boat builders in Birmingham. I think we may have discussed location, but can't remember the outcome. Think we should have a thread about boat building separate from this canals thread so shall move posts in due course. There a a few posts scattered around, so it means organising them into one thread. Viv.

Screenshot_20230413_090309_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Found the discussion of the Cox painting from post #253 here

There's now a separate thread comprising posts from a range of other threads which mention boat builders. Sorry if it's bitty but it's in the interests of having references altogether of any boat buiders. Thread link below.

Viv

Where in Birmingham ?

“A motorboat being loaded with coal during the mid 1960s in the Birmingham district. The working was not regular and did not last very long.”

Canal barges and narrowboats by Smith, Peter L.

[Edit 18/4….According to Post 1617 it may be that the author Peter L Smith has the wrong location…
“Is not Birmingham, If I recall it is Atherstone, Coventry Canal.”

368F13AA-9E40-4C69-999A-F60E7006A3BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Great photo capturing a method of work in our recent history. I know the technical classification of a barge refers to a width greater than 7ft.

Much of my reading about 19th and early 20th century canal haulage rarely mention narrowboats and instead refer to working boats - those carrying coal, coal boats and those carrying refuge, rubbish boats ! The there were the boats with a modified design that I haven't fully understood, but other contributors may be able to explain for me. They were called fly-boats.

The name fly boat seems to suggest they moved quickly - either by design, or systems of work that regularly replaced the towing horses to attain a constant sped and that they journeyed along the canal at night ( thank goodness horses have good night time vision) and during the day. Any further information about them will be appreciated !

Where in Birmingham ?

“A motorboat being loaded with coal during the mid 1960s in the Birmingham district. The working was not regular and did not last very long.”

Canal barges and narrowboats by Smith, Peter L.

View attachment 179590
Could be anywhere really. The landscape surrounding canals has changed so much.

But there was a coal mine next to the Tame Valley canal in Hamstead, Great Barr. The canal was used to transport coal.

Having walked the entire BCN and Grand Union I can safely say that the Walsall Canal where this clean-up is taking place is the most rubbish strewn on the system. Why people think it's acceptable to dump tyres, kitchen cabinets, fridges, wheelie bins, pallets, traffic cones and, of course, shopping trolleys into the water is confusing to say the least.
Respect for the walking. Have considered the Grand Union myself, but chickened out. Have walked the Birmingham & Fazeley, Tame Valley and partially others though.

I find any inner city canal fair game for fly tippers. The Trust must spend a fortune on clean ups.

When the government taxes landfill to discourage waste (skip prices are extremely high for example). They don't discourage waste, all they do is shift the burden of disposal to others. No excuse thought.

From Wikipedia:

UK canal boats[edit]​

Planing vessels[edit]​

An "express boat" service was started on the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal in 1830. One of its employees, William Houston, was guiding an empty horse-drawn boat when the horse took fright and bolted. Expecting the horse soon to tire, he hung on, but was amazed when the boat rose up onto its bow wave and shot off along the canal at high speed. Mr Houston was canny enough to realise the potential, and soon travellers were being hauled along the canals at high speed in an early example of planing.[6]

This canal—11 miles without locks into the centre of Glasgow—was an ideal situation for this venture. Once the boat was planing, the wash that damaged the canal banks largely disappeared, and by 1835, flat iron boats up to 65 feet made 323,290 passenger trips at 10 mph in a year. Services were established on the Forth and Clyde and on the Shropshire Union Canal flyboats with single horse-pulled, 22-ton loads at 10 mph as late as 1847.[7][8] They were also called "swift boats" or "gig boats".[9]

Occurring a year after the opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, this development sparked enormous interest in the canal world. Books were published by Sir William Armstrong Fairburn[10] and Sir John Benjamin Macneill.[11] The latter records experiments on the Paddington Canal in London attended by Thomas Telford and Charles Babbage. They hoped that steamboats running on the canals would be able to attain these high speeds, thus fighting off the threat of the railways.

Unfortunately, a brilliant series of experiments conducted by the young John Scott Russell, for which he eventually received the gold medal of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and initiated research in solitons, demonstrated that the phenomenon could only be achieved in very shallow canals, and that steamboats needed very different conditions.[12]

Flyboats pulled by one or more horses continued to be used in Britain and Ireland[13] for a number of years, and even in America, but ultimately the railway proved the winner.

High-speed running of this kind is no longer permitted on UK canals, with a blanket speed limit of four miles per hour in the modern, leisure-dominated era.[14]

Canal carrying-company flyboats: long-distance overnight services[edit]​

Saturn, a restored 1906 fly-boat
A fly-boat is also a narrowboat which works all day and all night (24/7) on the English canal system without mooring.[15] All-male professional crews, chosen for their skill and experience, slept in different watches at night and day to keep progress as fast as possible.[16] They became common around 1834[17] and later attempted to emulate the railways by running to timetables so that deliveries could be assured.[16][18] Some of these boats were operated by railway companies, as a method of providing services into rival railway territory.[16]

The design of the hull lines was finer and more streamlined than other narrowboats, limiting cargo capacity but increasing top speed.[16] Being operated by the canal owners, these express services had priority over all other traffic when encountering congestion such as at locks.[16] Time-sensitive cargoes such as cheese and other valuable produce paid a premium for the fast delivery,[16] which survived until the outbreak of World War I.[16]

One 1906 fly-boat from the Shropshire Union Canal, Saturn, survives in preservation today and is used for historical trips and education.[19]

In 2014, worked on a project on a HV sub station in the Kensington area of London, the sub was adjacent the canal , and the Principal Contractor used working boats to deliver the materials to site, and a couple of the broader width boats with a mini grab bucket to remove the surplus from site.
It proved to be a more efficient method of delivery to site as the roads around the site were a permanent traffic jam.

Engine Arm Aquaduct.

Barging round Britain : exploring the history of our nation's canals and waterways by Sergeant, John, Publication date 2016

For details of Grade II* listed building see…

View attachment 176664

“This cast iron trough takes the Engine branch over Telford's 'new' main line in Birmingham. In this case the towpath has its own decorative ironwork support though often the towpath was built over the water channel itself.”

English canals explained by Yorke, Stan. Publication date 2003.

3448512A-4D03-4331-97A8-EF2684343F81.jpeg

From Wikipedia:

UK canal boats[edit]​

Planing vessels[edit]​

An "express boat" service was started on the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal in 1830. One of its employees, William Houston, was guiding an empty horse-drawn boat when the horse took fright and bolted. Expecting the horse soon to tire, he hung on, but was amazed when the boat rose up onto its bow wave and shot off along the canal at high speed. Mr Houston was canny enough to realise the potential, and soon travellers were being hauled along the canals at high speed in an early example of planing.[6]

This canal—11 miles without locks into the centre of Glasgow—was an ideal situation for this venture. Once the boat was planing, the wash that damaged the canal banks largely disappeared, and by 1835, flat iron boats up to 65 feet made 323,290 passenger trips at 10 mph in a year. Services were established on the Forth and Clyde and on the Shropshire Union Canal flyboats with single horse-pulled, 22-ton loads at 10 mph as late as 1847.[7][8] They were also called "swift boats" or "gig boats".[9]

Occurring a year after the opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, this development sparked enormous interest in the canal world. Books were published by Sir William Armstrong Fairburn[10] and Sir John Benjamin Macneill.[11] The latter records experiments on the Paddington Canal in London attended by Thomas Telford and Charles Babbage. They hoped that steamboats running on the canals would be able to attain these high speeds, thus fighting off the threat of the railways.

Unfortunately, a brilliant series of experiments conducted by the young John Scott Russell, for which he eventually received the gold medal of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and initiated research in solitons, demonstrated that the phenomenon could only be achieved in very shallow canals, and that steamboats needed very different conditions.[12]

Flyboats pulled by one or more horses continued to be used in Britain and Ireland[13] for a number of years, and even in America, but ultimately the railway proved the winner.

High-speed running of this kind is no longer permitted on UK canals, with a blanket speed limit of four miles per hour in the modern, leisure-dominated era.[14]

Canal carrying-company flyboats: long-distance overnight services[edit]​

Saturn, a restored 1906 fly-boat
A fly-boat is also a narrowboat which works all day and all night (24/7) on the English canal system without mooring.[15] All-male professional crews, chosen for their skill and experience, slept in different watches at night and day to keep progress as fast as possible.[16] They became common around 1834[17] and later attempted to emulate the railways by running to timetables so that deliveries could be assured.[16][18] Some of these boats were operated by railway companies, as a method of providing services into rival railway territory.[16]

The design of the hull lines was finer and more streamlined than other narrowboats, limiting cargo capacity but increasing top speed.[16] Being operated by the canal owners, these express services had priority over all other traffic when encountering congestion such as at locks.[16] Time-sensitive cargoes such as cheese and other valuable produce paid a premium for the fast delivery,[16] which survived until the outbreak of World War I.[16]

One 1906 fly-boat from the Shropshire Union Canal, Saturn, survives in preservation today and is used for historical trips and education.[19]
Many, many thanks for explaining this to me !

Birmingham & Oxford Junction Canal please do explain the origin of this waterway?

Yes, S E Steward, I believe it was him. He was on a BCN committee associated with the extensions started by Telford

See attached
S E Steward.jpg

Although the Engine Arm is nothing to write home about, the area adjacent to the aqueduct along Smethwick Locks has benches and is quite a pleasant spot for a picnic.
Do we call this gentrification? I confess I've not been to that part of Smethwick for 40 years, but I'm familiar with many areas of the BCN including The Black Country and Digbeth Branch Canal including some places where I wouldn't choose to linger. Colour me surprised.

The original post of this picture has been amended to indicate that it could be the case that the author Peter L Smith of
Canal barges and narrowboats has the wrong location…Atherstone, Coventry Canal being the suggestion.
D0541234-DB55-476A-997C-B829AF36625F.jpeg
From The Blog that used to be Starcross.

Last edited:
Yes it has now been confirmed as Atherstone. Trevor Maggs, died 2018, had the narrow boat CORONA for carrying coal.

As to Kings Norton Stop lock, it is sad that people choose to disfigure the structure with graffiti. But then the scrawl of the wild is common at locations such as waterways

This view of Landor Street Bridge over the Warwick & Birmingham Canal shows considerable amounts of graffiti on the bridge. It is probably time for CRT to get out the black paint"

Landor Street.jpg

Back