• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canals of Birmingham

Google shows the basin (former railway goods dock) as open to navigation. I believe the 'landlocked' impression is due to the roving bridge which, of course, maintains a continuous towpath..

2009 view from a footbridge between the former NIA and The Malt House pub.

2011 view from the Tindal Bridge on King Edward Roads

Gas Street Basin today with the latest developments. Holiday Inn Express at Arena Central, The Canal House and Centenary Plaza. Also Premier Inn.

Can't these graffiti vandels leave anything alone. What on earth do they get out of it.
Here I go again, another rant!

Last edited:
The only Honduras Wharf I know of is a development on Summer Lane near Centro House. It has been completed, photo below before it was finished.

My relatives in Brum sent me a Brum 2018 Calendar. The Jan photo os a real nice shot of the Gas Street basin, I have not been in downtown Brum for years and of course all has changed some? for the good

Do any of Ell's photos in #908 show Honduras Wharf please ? Viv.

What’s in a name? The first references to Honduras Wharf, Snow Hill are from about 1840 and there are other Honduras Wharfs in other parts of the country such as Newcastle and London.

Honduras became British Honduras in 1862, but as early as the 1770s, in agreement with the French, the British had the right to cut logwood and mahogany. In 1847 there was a J and E Marshall timber merchant selling at least some of the wharf, 2074 sq yds. In 1864 there was a Thomas Short and Son, timber merchants.

Last mention is 1918.

oldbrit attached a couple of paintings of Gas St basin in the 80's, that's how I remember it - and that's how I liked itGas St basin (6).JPG Gas St basin (1).jpg . Eric

Very atmospheric Mike. Seems the bridge is a modern one, but in the Victorian style. Tasteful addition. Viv.

That's the view to the Broad Street Tunnel. O Bar and Walkabout have been in the buildings above for many years now.

Gas Street Basin at night from Bridge Street, near the new Canal House.

Looking towards the Canalside Cafe. The Worcester Bar footbridge is to the right.

Gas St. Basin c1960s

DEo7q0-WsAAhmVh.jpg:large

Didn't realise the canals were still in use in the 60s Barr Beacon.
City centre canals were full of dead dogs , bikes and tyres.

Looks like some sort of festival, Elmdon Boy. Not an area I spent much time in, but someone will know!

Maurice

It was around this time that canals were viewed as an asset for tourism nationally. I remember going to a few canal festivals near The Long Boat in the 70s and 80s which were very popular but I'm not sure if they have any canal festivals in Birmingham now.

Surely its the view towards broad st, with the Church of the Messiah in the background

What happened to that footbridge then? As you have the aqueduct over Holliday Street, then a straight flat towpath towards the Broad Street Tunnel.

I reckon that the photo was taken from about the position of the red arrow on this c1955 map
ScreenHunter 149.jpg

Back