• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can anyone tell mom the name of this shop?

sistersue61

master brummie
Mom can't recall the name of a shop in New Street in the 1950's.
It was a department store, situated between Union Passage and Corporation Street and mom says it was "a bit posh". She remembers the bags being black with a ditsy print on and thinks the shopfront lettering was black too.
Can anyone enlighten us as to its name please.
Sue

Thanks Robert, mom and dad are out tonight so will ask her tomorrow, but she did think it may begin with an M so that would fit - not sure why she wanted to know, will ask her that too!
Sue

Thanks Pollypops and Lynne, mom thinks it waas that now she's had her memory jogged! Apparently friends of theirs also from Brum were talking about shops in the City Centre in the 50's compared to the Bullring today, which is how the subject came up!
Sue

Hi sistersue: There is a photo of the store from the late l950's or early l960's judging by the cars parked outside the store. This photo was originally posted on this forum and found it's way onto the Skyscraper site. There is a reference to where it came from on this sites page. I haven't attempted to copy any photos onto the BHF under the new system as yet but if anyone wants to copy this back to our site they can. This photo can be seen in the Images section if you Google - Marshall and Snelgrove as well.
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=28642208

If it fronted New Street, It was deffinately Marchall and Snelgrove and is now the Brittania??? Hotel

Here's the picture that jennyann refers to -

jqksa8.jpg

Thanks very much Lloyd for posting this great photo of Marshall and Snelgrove. I haven't had a go at posting on the new system as yet.

Definitely Marshall and Snelgrove..I worked for McCracken and Fairfield we did most of the window and general displays for them.They were big rivals with Rackhams in Corporation St. the third similar store was Greys ..near to Rackhams.Marshall and Snelgrove was definitely an 'Are you being served' type store

Mom can't recall the name of a shop in New Street in the 1950's.
It was a department store, situated between Union Passage and Corporation Street and mom says it was "a bit posh". She remembers the bags being black with a ditsy print on and thinks the shopfront lettering was black too.
Can anyone enlighten us as to its name please.
Sue

I think it might have been Marshall and Snelgrove

jaa

Do any of you remember the shops that opened on the ground floor after Marshell Snellgrove closed. There was a ladies clothes shop called Martin Ford.

I think the photo on Skyscraper City may well have been one I posted I think the one dated 1900 certainly is, but here are another couple as well.

Attachments

• City New Street Marshall Snelgrove.jpg
    City New Street Marshall Snelgrove.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 36
  • City New St  Marshall Snellgrove 1940.JPG
    City New St Marshall Snellgrove 1940.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 37
  • City New St Marshall Snelgove1900.jpg
    City New St Marshall Snelgove1900.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 36
Back