• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

can anyone improve this please

Kelly, what a lovely photo - I wish I had photos of my Gt ancestors.
Maris, that looks great :encouragement: well done!

Hi Kelly - I've had a go but I know there are forum members who are much better than I am at photo improvement.
oldmohawk
ps. while I was trying, Maris had already done a better one ...:encouragement:

Attachments

• HARRISON WILLIAM (brother of Harriet)mod.jpg
    HARRISON WILLIAM (brother of Harriet)mod.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 64
Maris and oldmohawk, thank you both so much, I'm not butting in, I'm Kellys mom and she posted it photo for me,I'm
useless at posting pics. It looks brilliant now, well done both.
Lynne.

Polly, I dont know anything about the uniform or when the photo was taken. All I know about him is he was born abt 1891 and he was with his parents and family on the 1911. His name is so common that I cant confirm any info I find. I do know he survived the war and married and had 2 children. I dont know anything about uniforms but others seem to have badges and things but his looks very plain. Sorry to waffle on..
Lynne.

Lynne, I love waffle when it's about history and photos :adoration: I wonder if anyone on here would know what the uniform might be. As you say it is very plain - if only we could see those buttons - I am sure there would be something on them.

With respect, there's nothing to go on here. The belt he's wearing suggests that the picture was taken later than 1914, the shoulder titles could be RA or RF but that is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, (yes, I know, sorry !).

Polly, I do hope someone who knows about uniforms sees the photo and maybe knows which regiment he was in.

Polly, I've found Williams Army records, at last, there's not much info on them but enough to confirm that I have the right one. The papers say he was in the Inland Water Transport Corps,Royal Engineers. Maypolebaz, the papers say he enlisted 1915 so you were right about the belt. Thanks both.
Lynne.

Hello, Now that you have his army details, i.e. rank and number, you can now look on ancestory.co.uk or the national archives, medal index cards (mic). If you go to your local library, you can access ancestory.co.uk for free. The mic will show what medals your ancestor was entitled to. Once you know that, You will probably be like me, and buy some replacement or copy medals !!! Happy hunting. Steve Harpur

Hello Steve, Thanks, I am on Ancestry and do have his records, theres not much in them but they are better than nothing, He was awarded the Victory Medal. I dont really want a copy of his Medal but my Grandfather was awarded the Victory Medal, the British War Medal and the Silver War Badge. I would like to try to get copies of these so could you tell me how to go about getting these please. Thanks.
Lynne.

Lynne, I am so glad you managed to find his records and now know which regiment he served with - well done :encouragement:

Also well done to maypolebaz for getting the year right with only the style of belt to go on!

Back