• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

calling all office girls.

I started work in 1954, for a wholesalers, corner of Dudley St. and Smallbrook St. wages 37/6 for a 5 and a half day week, 8-30 - 5-30. although it was'nt office work as such, we had to serve customers and make up their orders, and then make out the invoices, it included working out the purchase tax, now known as vat. I was always terrified of making a mistake with that. Being the new girl i had to make the tea and coffee plus a cup of Sanatogen which was for the elderly boss, lord help you if it was lumpy, it took me several days before i made it to his satisfaction. When the buildings around there were to be demolished we moved lock stock and barrel to Inge St. the staff worked the weekend preparing the floors and steel shelving before all the stock moved in on the Monday morning. It was interesting being close to the Hipperdrome theatre because our boss did a lot of work for hospital radio, he used to ask whoever was appearing at the theatre if they would do an interview for him, one time Slim Whitman came into the warehouse to do a stint on the radio. Jack Bannister, the cricketer also worked with us during the winter months.

I went to work at Bulpitt's in January 1957. My wages were £2.50 a week. They were a wonderful company to work for. I was offered free private shorthand and typing lessons. Wages were increased every birthday. Yes, we had the running about to do, but after the six months we moved on to a department where we settled down to a nice little job. Morning tea and coffee was delivered to our offices by the canteen lady, all on a tray (Swan brand tea and coffee pots of course). The hours were 8.30 till 5.30. Very good memories.

Maggs.

I started as office junior at the old Dunlop, huge office. Even had to take the dusters and tea towels to the laundry on site as part of my duties. Also had to was up the tea things for the two secretaries who were working for the one Director. they sent me to college one day a week to learn how to type and do shorthand. Always worked in an office right up to when I retired 2 years ago. Best place was the old BSA in Armoury Road, worked for George Holden who was the spares manager. I loved it. Such a shame it closed, it was like a big family. Have lots of memories of working at the Dunlop, BSA, Gallaghers, Bowens and lastly for 28 years Grimley. Some good, some not so good. But of course in the 60's you could walk out of one job and into another.

Love to hear from others.

Christina

Yes indeed Christina, it was like that. I left school Christmas 1956 and went to work as a machinist making baby clothes. However, after 6 weeks of putting up with a forewoman who was no better than a strict schoolteacher, I walked out. Got the Birmingham Evening Mail and saw Bulpitt's advertising for office juniors. Went next day and started the following one, and got paid on the Friday. Things just ain't the same now and never will be again.

You say you felt like family in the office, so did I.

Maggs.

No went to Grove Lane night school to learn, or try to learn shorthand and typing. Attended that school originally too.

I started work in 1958 and my first job was with J.C. Abbott & Co. who were coke and coal exporters. I was the office junior and as well as having to take my share of shorthand notes and typing letters I also had to go out and buy stamps, make the tea and sort the filing. I also had to balance the stamp book each week and woe betide me if there was a stamp missing. During my working life I also worked for Lawden Agency when my daughter was younger so I could have school holidays off and had many enjoyable jobs and met so many interesting people. Happy days.
Love reading all your stories

Rustie

Hi Rustie

I also worked for Lawden Secretarial Agency. I first joined them in about 1957/8 as a temp, and then again in 1959 as enjoyed temping so much. Worked at all the big firms in the area: Dunlop, ICI, GKN, TI, GEC, MEB, Wrights Ropes, etc. I loved the freedom of temping and meeting different people all the time. I also went back regularly to some offices, and like you, I made some good friends.

Judy

I started work in 1958 and my first job was with J.C. Abbott & Co. who were coke and coal exporters. I was the office junior and as well as having to take my share of shorthand notes and typing letters I also had to go out and buy stamps, make the tea and sort the filing. I also had to balance the stamp book each week and woe betide me if there was a stamp missing. During my working life I also worked for Lawden Agency when my daughter was younger so I could have school holidays off and had many enjoyable jobs and met so many interesting people. Happy days.
Love reading all your stories

Rustie

I also worked for an temp agency in Dudley. I, like you went to a lot of firms to fill in for holidays and sickness. It was, as you say really good to meet new people and get the school hols off. I ended my time at Vono Beds in Tipton, where I worked as a temp for two years...loved it!

Maggs.

Hi Hockleybrook

As you went to Grove Lane School, did you know a girl called Jean Thomas? I'm not sure if she went there, but there is a good possibility she did. Her Mom and Dad had a fish and chip shop on Soho Road, and she was my best friend who I have lost touch with and would love to find again.

Judy

Hi Jayell
Wish I could help you but no that name does not ring a bell, its been many years since I went to Grove Lane School (I am getting a bit ancient). I have lived in Hertfordshire for over forty years, so many of my school friends names fade into oblivion.
Good luck with the search though, it is great to renew old friendships.

hi girls...ive just come across this pic of workers manning the switchboards wearing gas masks...god this must have been most uncomfortable...

pic courtesy of carl chinn birm lives...

lyn

Morning All! Started work at LF doing the 'tea, fetch this fetch that etc' than time sheets - advancing to typing ,learning shorthand on the way. I travelled to many different colleges at night; also Miss Mary Blood [does anyone remember her-she was a company secretary, I believe at Kynch House.] taught me during the lunch time. We both did GREGG shorthand [an American style]. I became quite good [I think].Left LF and worked for Directors of REGON INDUSTRIES in Miller Street - this has been demolished.
One time I went for another job and my test was awful - I was shown an electric typewriter and didn't know how to insert the paper. ! Never got the job.! I really enjoyed coming to the end of a typed line and banging back the carrier bar.

Did anyone every type [here I am not sure ] a GETSTETNER' PAPER? iT WAS A FOOLSCAP SHEET WTH A VERY FINE PAPER ON TOP - when one typed on the cutting key, it made holes in the paper - thus enables many copies to be made of the typing?
Not sure if that made any sense - I hated typing them. Miriam.

Hi Miriam

I did pitmans shorthand. Don't know if its used now and I am retired and out of date with things. I remember working somewhere and used an electric typewriter with a golf ball head. I had to keep changing this as one had lettering and another symbols. Unfortunately I dropped one of the heads and broke it. Was told it was very expensive - I was in disgrace for the rest of the day.

Yes I remember the gestetner sheets. I am sure we used some pink stuff in a bottle to go over our mistakes do you recall this. I can smell it now.They then had to be put on a machine and you could run off loads of sheets. They were ever so messy. I had forgotten about them until you mentioned this.

Regards rustie
Rustie

I used to do Pitmans Shorthand. My sister was learning it, then we moved to another town where they only taught Greggs, so she started that. We moved back to Brum, and to her old school where it was Pitmans, and it threw her completely, so she never did learn shorthand!!

I remember the Gestetner sheets well, and the pink fluid that went hard so that you could type over it and correct errors. Then they went on to a roller with ink (I think?) and however many copies could be rolled off.

Years before, when I worked at GKN they used Banda sheets, which were more like wax that you cut through with the keys. I can't remember how we did corrections on those, but have a feeling we used to put a waxed sheet over the mistake and retype - not sure about that though, it was a long, long time ago! They used to have a special room where we took them to have copies run off by a man whose job was just that.

Judy

Hello Rustie and Jayell. Retired 10 year now so am surprised I could remember so much [you know 'senior moments']. Yes, I used plenty of pink liquid at that time. Also used a record loose leaf 'thingy' from Kalamazoo, but now sure how that worked now - also used a teleprinye at on stage.
IN my wardrobe I have an old "66 mperial 66" still in working order which I used until I had this computer - think I wouls have got the sack if I made as many mistakes as I do now!!!!

I did enjoy learning GREGG SH as it was all curves and not straight lines as in Pitman - my handwiting is ruined though.

Good to meet you, Ladies. Miriam.

I used to do Pitmans Shorthand. My sister was learning it, then we moved to another town where they only taught Greggs, so she started that. We moved back to Brum, and to her old school where it was Pitmans, and it threw her completely, so she never did learn shorthand!!

I remember the Gestetner sheets well, and the pink fluid that went hard so that you could type over it and correct errors. Then they went on to a roller with ink (I think?) and however many copies could be rolled off.

Years before, when I worked at GKN they used Banda sheets, which were more like wax that you cut through with the keys. I can't remember how we did corrections on those, but have a feeling we used to put a waxed sheet over the mistake and retype - not sure about that though, it was a long, long time ago! They used to have a special room where we took them to have copies run off by a man whose job was just that.

Judy

Hi Judy,

Gestetner and Roneo ink duplicators were very similar except that the Roneo used a drum and the Gestetner used a belt over 2 drums to carry the stencil, -you may remember that you used to disable the ribbon on the typewriter when cutting the stencil. Both machines operated by forcing ink through the stencil onto the paper. With care, the stencil could be used many times. The Banda (an abbreviation for Block and Anderson) Spirit Duplicator was very different, and did not use a cut stencil, but
you used a very waxy looking ink sheet behind the master, and when you typed, the ink transferred onto the back of the master. Main advantage was that you could change the ink sheets and produce a multi colour
image, - the main disadvantage was that the only ink you had was that on the back of the master, and after about 20 copies, there wasn't much
left! I believe the spirit used was Ethanol, and didn't it stink!!

Kind regards

Dave

Very good description Dave of those three systems. I had to work on all of them at one time. Many clubs and associations used the Gestetner for their
newsletters and I remember a tool that you could use to draw pictures on the Gestetner master. I believe that tool was called a stylus. I never did any freehand drawing as I can't draw at all but some people used to produce reasonably good drawings on the Gestetner master.
I have written on the forum how I hated the Banda ink and how it got on your hands and it loved plastic especially plastic handbags and shoes!!

Thank you Dave for your very accurate description of those long ago methods of producing copies. Now you have pointed out how the Banda worked it jogged my memory and brought it all back.

Yes Jennyann, I used to hate typing the Bandas, you always ended up with purple fingers and the ink took ages to get off!! I also remember the Gestetner stylus that you mentioned but never used one.

Judy

Does anyone remember Meteor Garage in St Mary's Row Moseley Village?
What ever happened to it,I worked there in the Offices until I left to have my Daughter in 1960.
Also Thomas Plants in Edgbaston street,thats where I met my Husband.

I did Pitmans short-hand and typing, I might be wrong but I think it was in New Street in the early to mid 60's. There were 36 women and me, not suprisingly they just couldn't concentrate! Typing, they used to put a tea towel over our hands, and play Side-Saddle, I was totally confused...a man with a tea towel, how does that work?

beamish i forgot to say i also did pitmans shorthand...i can still type pretty fast but all i can remember of the shorthand is dear sir...wouldnt get much letter writing done with only that would i...lol

lyn

Astoness. Yep 36 to 1 that was in typing. There were 2 of us in short-hand, me and a lad who worked for Reuters - I worked for the Daily Express. I was useless at typing, I'd wait til the instructor passed by, remove the tea-towel and race along with two fingers until I caught up. The other lad was much better than me and he spoke wiv a posha axcent. In the end I packed it up, because it coincided with the Blues mid-week matches. Yep got to get priorites right.

Lyn,

I think it was above Teezy Weezy Raymonds - remember him - next door to the Odeon, I think most of the women must have popped in there before class, that is except for those back - combing their hair into the beehive and spraying it with gallons of Margot's laquer. Oh the memories. I took a gal to a club one night, I remember she was wearing a black cape, anyhow the compere asked can anyone play the piano, well this girl said yes...and he invited her to play and boy could she play, you'll never guess what she played!!! Yep Side-Saddle, I kept looking for the tea towel and thought someones pinched my typewriter....

Beamish, we used to have blank keys on our typewriters so that we would learn to touch type. We also sometimes played to music - ours was, Underneath the spreading Chestnut Tree! And, we had to do arm movements as well - Chest/Head (nut)/ arms spread out!!!

I had my hair done at Raymonds (Mr Teasy Weasy) a couple of times, and yes it was next door to the Odeon on the first floor I think. I didn't realise there was a Secretarial College in the same building.

Judy

Beamish as I have previously said it was myself and thirty od men in the Sumlock comptometer workshop. My office was in the middle so I was literally surrounded by male terosterone [is that how it's spelled]?. Guess what I still left to work with horses and if the truths known I still prefer them to fellas.

yes beamish i remember teezy weezy....your stories are so funny...what are you like with yer tea towel and typewriter....by the way i was at a boot sale last year and just for old times sake i picked up a portable smith coroner typwriter for a quid....good working order...you can borrow it if you like to brush up...i will even throw in the towel too...lol

lyn

Lyn, Smith-Corona my mama bought my first and that was a Smith-Corona, SKY-BLUE portable. Most of the press guys used, Brother or Olivetti.

Back