• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

calling all office girls.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi everyone. myself-pom-judy and jennyann have all been talking on a different thread about our memories when we were office juniors-typists-secretaries-telephonists etc and thought it may be nice to have our own thread. just for us girls. so we would love to hear from anyone who can remember their office days. look forward to your posts. wales (lyn)

Glad you've started this new thread Lyn. I remember working as a temp in Brum in the late 1950's, and enjoyed it so much that I went on to work permanently as a temp as I enjoyed the variety. I worked for Lawden Secretarial Services in Corporation Street, which was one of the first temping agencies in Birmingham. Worked in all the big factories between 1958 and 1963 - Dunlops, GKN, GEC, MEB, Tube Industries, Wrights Ropes, etc, and plenty of small places as well.

Judy

hi everyone. myself-pom-judy and jennyann have all been talking on a different thread about our memories when we were office juniors-typists-secretaries-telephonists etc and thought it may be nice to have our own thread. just for us girls. so we would love to hear from anyone who can remember their office days. look forward to your posts. wales (lyn)

Oh Lyn, you female chauvinistic person from lozells/Hockley. What about the office boys????????? Mabz

hi judy. wow i thought i had worked at a lot of places. must admit i loved working in an office. i left school in 69 and my first job was at joseph staintons (wholesale jewellers) in vyse street. as office junior i had to make the tea and fetch the order of sandwiches from a little cafe just a way down. type letters sort out the orders for customers box and wrap them label and address them frank the letters then take them down to key hill post office at the end of the day. great days and i sometimes go down to vyse st and look up at what used to be my little corner when i worked there. gosh i will be filling up soon lol lyn

sorry mabel. strictly girls only unless you can produce yer certificates lol lyn

hi norma. i wouldnt like to be in charge its a lot of responsability and if anything goes wrong who fault is it yes the boss. o well 6 years and counting. lyn

Lyn, I my best friend's boyfriend used to work in Vyse Street. He worked in a jewellery workshop doing marquasite (?). I worked at Harry Astburys in Hockley Hill (no longer there since the redevelopment of the area). It was my first job and I was 14 and a half. I hated the job. I was given the worst typewriter that you had to really pound at, I had to answer the switchboard, and it was a 5 and a half day week. I also had to take the post (after I finished work at 5.30) up to the post office at the top of Hockley Hill, and then walk back home again - all for £2.50 a week in 1954!

judy so we both trod the path many times to the post office lol norma no way am i fetching the lads sandwiches i have enough of them demanding breakfast in the snug. very funny alf lol and to you mabel you are going to have to prove to us girls that you can do 70 words a min shorthand and 80 typing then we may allow you in as an honourary member lol lyn

Good on you Lyn. I am getting worried about Mabel, especially since I saw the photo !!! I wonder if he took down shorthand - doesn't look likely, does it!

I remember getting luncheon vouchers as part of my salary deal - could just about buy a sandwich with them!

judy we are all just a tad concerned about our mabel. but are hoping by the 60s night he/she will have sorted itsself out lol norma my wage in 1970 was £7 a week and no luncheon vouchers. although i did get them at a later job. your fist job has stood you in good stead. lyn

maggie as mabel has come in i see no reason why you shouldnt lol welcome lyn

Thanks girls sorry i wasn't an office worker but i have always been in sales of one type or another my first wages were £4.7/9 a week aint telling ya what i was selling though lol

Hi Frothy
I agree not nice calling someone :female chauvinistic person:we are gonna have to watch mabz hehehe

crikey frothy has joined in now looks like us girls are gonna have to put our foot down with a firm hand ha ha lyn

Hi girls, can I join in?

No. 1 reason - I am a girl and No.
2. I did work in an office - lol

My first real job was for T. Elvins in Naden Road, Hockley in 1981. I was office junior and earned the princley sum of £30 per week. I had the most fantastic time there. We were all like one big happy family then. I used to have to help out everyone who needed it really. Collect all the post and ensure it was sent out. Many a time making the trip up Hockley Hill to the post office to buy stamps.

I used to go round the building with Doris changing the roller towels in all the loos. Going down to the bottom yard and when entering the workshop where John (mechanic) and can't think of the guys name but the electrician were based, a bell would sound so they knew you were there. On the way out we would wedge the door open with a brick then leg it back up to the offices. John and Noel (I've remembered his name now) would chase us with the water hose!

I also operated the oldest switchboard ever. It must have been there for donkeys. A sit up and beg, golf ball type thingy.

Ah the good ol days!!

Jules

Back