• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Byng Kenrick Girls' Grammar School

Hi John. There's a Facebook page called ex Byng Kenrick staff and students you might want to have a look at. It's a closed group but you can ask to join. Obviously this applies to anyone who is interested. Let's hope we generate as much interest as possible. See you on the 21st Nov John.

Hi John. There's a Facebook page called ex Byng Kenrick staff and students you might want to have a look at. It's a closed group but you can ask to join. Obviously this applies to anyone who is interested. Let's hope we generate as much interest as possible. See you on the 21st Nov John.
Cheers but I don't do Facebook
I intended being there in any case. I got involved with the campaign a while back and helped on petitions. I figured it was time to repay my debt to her.

I don't do Facebook but I shall be there. Nice to get us together for reflection over a drink if there are others?

There's quite a lot if interest. It's very heartwarming. I'll post in this forum nearer the time when I have some details. I'll post some names too to give you an idea of who is going. Have you been involved with Maxine's family? I e mailed Julie Hambleton but she couldn't give me much info on what's happening this year.

Hi John. Planning to meet a few old school friends at The Old Joint Stock on Colmore Row at 6 pm on the 21st. Then off to the memorial service and vigil then a few more drinks. I've done an interview for BBC radio WM which will be broadcast the week of the pub bombings with another different broadcast at the time the bombs went off on the 21st. I hope they do Jane proud. Going to the T own Hall Concert too with Jenny Wakelam and Wendy McDonagh.

Hi Pat thanks for the update. Whats all this a radio interview then:)
As I probably wont know your friends I shall give it a miss, assuming of course there might have been an implicit invitation to join you (I may be wrong). Yes hope to see you at the service and in a strange way looking forward, after all of those years, to paying my respects and offering thoughts to all of those who lost their lives.

Hi John

Please join us! The old school friends are people you used to go to school with too! I'm not sure how many people will be coming as it was an open invitation via Facebook. I know that Jenny and Wendy are definitely going on the 21st, as is Spud Murphy and a few others, I hope. I've told everyone to bring or wear a yellow rose so they can be identified as I'm sure we may have changed since those heady days of 1974! I know what you mean about looking forward to it - this is the first time in 40 years that I've publicly paid my respects, but it will be a sad time. I have such happy memories of Jane and they're what I hold on to. Hope to see you on the 21st.

Hi John. Alan married a girl called Cathy who was the year below us. I heard they divorced. I don't know anymore than that. Steve married Sonia Deakin. You may remember her from our year. They life over Sutton way. She's headmistress over there. I don't have any contact details for either of them.

Hi Pat just a line to say thank you for the welcome and floral support on Friday evening. Hope your interview went well and your studies are fruitful. Not sure when or if our paths will ever cross again but best wishes for the future.

Hi John. You're welcome. It was great to catch up. Steve murphy is looking at a meet up around the beginning of July. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. I think we all did Jane proud on Friday. All the best.

Hi John. I don't know if you got a chance to talk to anyone on Friday night but I heard that Alan Fortey passed away. He was an alcoholic but not sure how he died or when. Tragic news. He was such a lovely bloke. He was the one who drive me into Birmingham to look for Jane.

Hello I have just joined the forum and went to Byng Kendrick from 1958 to 1962. I remember Miss Boon, headteacher who also took us for scripture, as we called it then. Miss Ursula Birch was the English teacher and encouraged me to be a librarian. Does anyone remember Carol Stafford. I was friends with Josephine Mead and Vicki Madden. I remember the panoramic photo we had taken but haven't got one sadly.

Hello I have just joined the forum and went to Byng Kendrick from 1958 to 1962. I remember Miss Boon, headteacher who also took us for scripture, as we called it then. Miss Ursula Birch was the English teacher and encouraged me to be a librarian. Does anyone remember Carol Stafford. I was friends with Josephine Mead and Vicki Madden. I remember the panoramic photo we had taken but haven't got one sadly.

Here is an open Facebook page for the school, dedicated to the 1960s:
https://www.facebook.com/ByngKenrickGirls/

These are photos taken in the sports field, probably 1963 or 1964. I've also put them on the Byng Kenrick Facebook page.
Some names to recall - Barbara Tidball (that's me!), Marlene Farmer, Elizabeth Routley, Barbara Cox, Aileen Donnelly, Jennifer Longford, Greta Wood, Christine Peel, Christine Cleaver, Irene Allen, Hilary Rice..... can you add any more?

Attachments

• img205.jpg
    img205.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 43
  • img206.jpg
    img206.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 39
The official opening of Byng Kenrick Girl's Grammar school and the service of dedication, March 14th 1959. I have a wonderful memory of my mother wearing a beautiful hat for the occasion, something which embarrassed me at the time but now I feel proud on her behalf.

Attachments

• img215.jpg
    img215.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • img217.jpg
    img217.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 16
Speech day October 10th 1963, with a list of GCE passes at ordinary level (GCSE nowadays) and individual subject prizes.
Have added the invitation to my mother and sister, to attend Speech Day.

Attachments

• img218.jpg
    img218.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 13
  • img219.jpg
    img219.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 14
  • img220.jpg
    img220.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back