• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burlington St Schools

Woodj.......have you got a brother named Donald ?, ...if so I remember him and Peter Fletcher who lived either next door or close by, we all went to the same two schools Burlington and Upper Thomas Street.....
hi aston lad yes my brother don he went to upper tomas st school and peter fletcher remember him to

hi yes my older brother don now liveing in c/vale he went to upper tomas st school we liveed by peter fletcher . my other brothers rob .david chris ..sisters sue and jane .

does any one remember the wood yard in burlington st i used to go over and get sixpence worth of wood / all so the slop run by mrs mr lovett . 1n the llate 1960s

Burlington St 1001.jpgBurlington St 1002.jpg

These are a couple of photos taken at an end of term play at Burlington Street School, I think I recognise some of the faces, (I may not be right but....In the line up front row right to left.... Margaret Wassell, Mavis Shaw, boy Unknown, Michael Drinkwater, Geoff Townsend, girl unknown, Brian Johnson (Me).....) but can't put a name to the teacher. I think this would be around about 1958/9/10(?) Anyone recognise themselves on here?

I think the teacher is Mr Keeping or something along them lines, he used to spit when talking, in 1958 I would have just started school and would have been in Miss Rocks class....lovely photographs...

I think the teacher is Mr Keeping or something along them lines, he used to spit when talking, in 1958 I would have just started school and would have been in Miss Rocks class....lovely photographs...

Yes thank you, that's the name I couldn't recollect. Hope some others can identify themselves.

I see "Little Ray" a neighbour and good friend of mine in the lower picture. Raymond Joyce....... He lived a few doors away from me. His big sister Sheila came to the 2004 reunion. They were super friends of ours back then, their dad slaved all hours to look after them. Cheers :)

In the top picture I see a lad I think may have been Paul Gant? he came from the courtyard that bridged Burlington Street & Lower Webster Street.... If its not him then it's remarkable the likeness?

Hello Rod my name was Sheila Joyce now Riley I would like to see any photoessays you. Have or know of anyone who as of my family....Raymond Dennis and Brenda Joyce ....thanks went to Burlington Street 54 64 cheers .

hi sheila i am afraid that rod is no longer a member...hope you enjoy the forum

all the best

lyn

Hi Sheila welcome to the Forum, I don't know whether you are aware but we have an Annual Reunion for Burlington/Upper Thomas Schools on the 7th July every year. This year it is at the Aston Manor Cricket Club, Church Road, Perry Barr, 7.30p.m. until about 11 p.m. You would be most welcome together with any family or friends.

Hi Sheila.....I remember Dennis , he was a year or two older than myself, he also went to Upper Thomas Street I think or maybe Birchfield......Rod lived by you in Phillips Street, but I am sorry to say that he passed away a year or two back....

Annual Reunion - Burlington/Upper Thomas Street Schools, will be held on Thursday, 7th July 2016 at Aston Manor Cricket Club, Church Road, Perry Barr, Birmingham, from 7.30 p.m.until late. There will be a small charge of £1.00 per person to cover the room hire. There is plenty of parking space.

Everyone is welcome any age group, please bring any photos you may have.

Looking forward to seeing you.

View attachment 102710View attachment 102711

These are a couple of photos taken at an end of term play at Burlington Street School, I think I recognise some of the faces, (I may not be right but....In the line up front row right to left.... Margaret Wassell, Mavis Shaw, boy Unknown, Michael Drinkwater, Geoff Townsend, girl unknown, Brian Johnson (Me).....) but can't put a name to the teacher. I think this would be around about 1958/9/10(?) Anyone recognise themselves on here?
I was at Burlington street school from 1955 to 1961. I'm not sure but the boy sitting down on the far right in the second picture could be me.
I remember Mr Keeping, Mr. Burgess (Head) , Mr. Love, Mr. Eastwood, Mr. Jones and I think Miss Wilcocks.
I also recall 3 girls that used to do a song and dance routine, Carol Bent, Diane Thompson and another Carol, I'm sorry I can't recall her surname.
My name btw is John Mildenhall. I lived in New Street at the time, sadly no longer there.

couple of new ones folks.. many thanks to angela for sharing them with us....does anyone recognise anyone ??burlington st school 3.jpg

Attachments

• burlington st school 3.jpg
    burlington st school 3.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 25
  • burlington st school.jpg
    burlington st school.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 25
wow I am on one of the photos Tootz - the one with Miss Hardy. Have the same one here ... The one of the teachers at the junior infant school was particularly interesting. Miss Rock! My reception teacher .... such memories. And Mr Burgess and Mr Keeping and the famous "Daddy" Eastwood who taught me to play recorder in his breaktimes. He taught my Mum and aunts too! Am looking to see whether I have any scanned in that I can share.

Year or two in front of me, but I do know a few names on here...Jennifer Morris front row far left, she lived next door to me in Clarendon Street, her eldest brother was Roly Morris ex Villa player, behind her I think is Reg Squires, next to him John Whitehouse, the last girl onthe back row could be Linda Whelan, the last two boys in the middle row Denis Lawrence and Alan Pinkerton who saddly died in 2004, and the boy sitting in for front of Denis is Graham Wainwright....

I've merged several threads on the subject of Burlington Street Schools to form this one thread. Some of the early posts no longer have images attached. If anyone has those images please let me know so that we may repair this thread. Many thanks. Viv.

Wow Tootz - my brother is on one of your pics - would be earlier than 1955 . Can't see a teacher in the photo though. Dave is 2nd from left of standing row behind the seated kids.
index.php

I know this is a long shot but can anybody date this photo from Burlington Street Infants (Age 6)? I think it is around 1900, it would really help me to identify Keight family members from that period there were 14 siblings, 12 of which would have gone to Burlington Street School.
Thank-you, Johnburlington street class photo infants 6.jpg

What a difference in attitude between these two pictures. I presume, if the 1900 one is anything to go by, is that children were discouraged from smiling at the camera at that time. It seems that for many of the children this occasion might be the first time they had ever seen a camera - and all the paraphernalia that went with it all in those days. :)

Reunion Burlington Street and Upper Thomas Street Schools will as usual will be held on 7th July (Friday) it will be held at Aston Manor Cricket Club, Church Road, Perry Barr, from 7.30 p.m. to 11.30 p.m.
There is a large car park. The charge is £1.00 per person to help pay for the room hire.

Everyone is welcome, tell your family and friends, and if you have any old photos please bring them as they are always of such interest.

what wonderful photos paul...hope some of our members can put names to faces...can anyone tell me what street/road that was in photo 2...says willow place on the wall??

lyn

what wonderful photos paul...hope some of our members can put names to faces...can anyone tell me what street/road that was in photo 2...says willow place on the wall??

lyn
Thought you would like that picture, also the one taken indoors. Funny how they used different locations for these pictures, I know a fair amount of the names of the children, so lets see what we get, shame I can't find a picture of Mrs Rock

yes paul...although i love all of them any photos that show long demolished streets and roads are very important as they catalogue our history likewise with the inside shots of our schools...i well remember how delighted i was when some turned up showing the classrooms and halls of my schools..lozells girls and farm st I and J...now we wait and see if any of our members lived at willow place:)

lyn

Willow Place ...are just a row of houses in Barton Street, my sister Anne is on photo's 2,3 and 4....The teacher on the last photo is Mr Troth or very similar, he was the schools football teacher when I attended.....I do know some of the surnames of a few because I was probably friends with some of their elder brothers.....Faye, Wilson/Whitehouse, Butler....most of the boys attended Upper Thomas Street senior boys after leaving Burlington Street......Nice photo's Paul.....

Last edited:
Back