• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burbury Street

Re: Burbury Street Lozells

I remember we used to go to Burbury Park, not that there was much there then. We used to go down Farm Street, but I don't recall where we went from there. We used to go past the dairy and the 'coffin makers' (I can still remember the smell of the wood) and I think we went straight down past the pub on the corner. There was a 'bomb peck' down Farm Street as well - I remember standing on a nail Ouch!

This is my great grandfather's obituary from Aris's gazette. I am not sure when he moved to Burbury Street it was between 1861 and 1871. It's interesting how he described the area.

A Handsworth Octogenarian’s Death

The late Mr. Jennings, of Lozells Road, who died on Sunday in his 88th year, was one of the oldest inhabitants of Handsworth, and his recollections of that portion of Greater Birmingham were very interesting. He was by business a baker, and at one time was known as the largest buyer of flour in Birmingham. He was also a large buyer of house property, and was considered as great an expert in this class of speculation that many people used to go to the old gentleman or advice and information on prospective purchases. In the early days the populous and busy street now known as Burbury Street was a large clayhole on a piece of waste ground, where the only dwellers were a few squatters in ramshackle huts. Mr. Jennings bought the last stack of bricks from Lewis, the owner o the brick works, when the work of building on the land was begun. It is a matter of regret that three old residents of the district- Mr. Jennings, Mr. H .H. Hartshorne (the first president o the Aston Villa) and Mrs. Alfred Taylor(the widow of the late Alderman Taylor)- have all passed away within a few days of each other.

Aris’s Gazette, January 25th 1913

I visited Burbury Street yesterday for the first time in about 10 years. I had a look at the property at the top of Burbury Street which would have been your ggrandfather's bakery. It is been converted and is now a large double fronted house.

I have some photos of Burbury Street (though unfortunately not of the bakery) which I will try and post tomorrow.

jules. that makes very interesting reading. wendy was the bakery at the top of burbury st at the corner of wills street on the right going up from nursery road. wales.

Last two photos look like the corner of Burbury Street and Nursery Rd/Gerrard St - isn't that sign where the garage is now?

Ray

ray i forgot to ask. you remember the street map you put on for me showing villa street? would that map stretch as far as the very top of villa and to the very bottom. would be grateful if you could post it if it does. cheers wales.

great pics jules. looking at the ones covered in snow in a street i knew so well took me right back to my childhood. thanks. wales.

Re: Burbury St. Lozells.

Hi
I am new to the site just noticed you lived in Burbury St, both my parents lived in the street before they married, my dads name was Joe Kirby and my moms maiden name was Ethel Jarvis moms sister Gladys married my dads older brother Jack then my parents moved to Lennox street, My moms brother Jim Jarvis had a shop in little King Street cannot find any details of this shop in any books and we lost touch with most of the Jarvis family my dad worked at a number of factories he worked at Barkers in Lennox St before they moved to Castle Vale he also swept chimneys for a bit of extra cash and used to dress up as a clown for charity functions ect
and was involved in the Duke of cambridghe football club and the Brook Tavern in Lennox St was his local, sadly both my parents died before I started my family history, I have a sister Betty who is in her 70's
thought the info may interest you
best wishes Gladi

hi gladi and welcome to the forum. you will find many helpful folk here. do you have any mumbers of burbury st or lennox st where your family lived. i have pics of the brook tavern the the duke of cambridge if you want i will put them on for you. wales

Hi
Photos of both pubs would be great, I have looked at your posts about St Georges Church and looking at the photos brought back memories I was only a little girl about 10 when my sister Betty got married and I was bridesmaid and her wedding photos where taken outside St Georges, wait till I phone her.
I will copy them and send them to her she still lives in Brum
Thanks Gladi

forgot to say I cannot remember the house numbers in Burbury St but it was opposit the Park, we lived 38 lennox streetmoved out when I got married in 63.
Gladi

hi gladi. glad to help. there are 2 more burbury st threads with lots of old and pics on both. i noticed this thread is the oldest. scroll down further and look at them both for more pics. here are the pubs (I HOPE) wales. this is the brook tavern

duke of cambridge. if i can help with any more please let me know. wales

gladi. you said that you lived at no 38 well ive got some friends that i think would have been there at the same time. i will have to check but from memory she lived on the same side as the brook tavern just a bit further up in a terrace and i cant remember the terraces name. anyway her name is christine and she married a cockney chap named robert. ring any bells with you. i will ask her maiden name and terrace name tomorrow. meanwhile to save going off thread i am posting you a photo under lennox street i think you may recall it. wales.

hi gladi, was there an outdoor in burbury street oposite the park, dont know if im having a blond hour or old age creeping in

hi gladi, was there an outdoor in burbury street oposite the park, dont know if im having a blond hour or old age creeping in

Lindev - I can't remember there being an outdoor opposite the main entrance to Burbury Park in the sixties? To my knowledge there was only a barber shop, woolshop, sweetshop and papershop that also sold aromatic snuff which I was a paperboy.

keith

Hi
Cannot remember the outdoor in Burbury St but my sister will she is ten yers older than me, but its a shame people never seemed interested in history about the area when we were small in hinsight I should have asked my mom before she died.
but thanks for info
Gladi

thank you both for your replies, i must have got the street wrong just cant remember, i had a friend who lived in the outdoor with his mom and dad but cant remember were the outdoor was, i was born in wheeler street 1947 left there when i was 18 and moved to newtown, i have a sister also 10 years older than me what school did your sister go too.

Hi
My Sister Betty [Elizabeth) WENT to St Matthias infants then Lozells St Girls school, after she got married she also lived in Wheeler St, my Grandad and uncle Charlie lived in Wheeler St.
Gladi

hi there, well! your sister went the same schools as myself i went to mathias in the year in 51/52 then went to lozells in 1958, my name is christine my sister name is pat, but i had loads of cousins who went there also your sister is sure to know some of them. I lived right opposite the paper shop in wheeler street just below the acorn pub, christine

I know I am being greedy now but I wonder if anyone has any old photo's of Burbury Street. After wales posted the ones of Farm Street I have been so excited, I would just love one of Burbury Street.

hi wendy. ive posted about 5 old burbury st pics and i think mayfield has put some on too and i cant remember where lol. hang on bit and i will have another look. lyn

wendy. found them pics ive sent you an im. by the way what number burbury street are you interested in.

The pictures are just wonderful thank you very much Lyn and Keith. My main research is my fathers family of Jennings. I knew very little when I started as my Dad died when I was 15 and I only remembered snippets of our conversations about family. I know that John Jennings my great grandfather was a Baker and confectioner and lived at several addresses in Burbury Street.
1871 Number 61
1881 Number 2
1891 Number 306.
Thank you for all the wonderful photo's.

The pictures are just wonderful thank you very much Lyn and Keith. My main research is my fathers family of Jennings. I knew very little when I started as my Dad died when I was 15 and I only remembered snippets of our conversations about family. I know that John Jennings my great grandfather was a Baker and confectioner and lived at several addresses in Burbury Street.
1871 Number 61
1881 Number 2
1891 Number 306.
Thank you for all the wonderful photo's.

Hi Wendy - As Lyn said, the numbering system for Burbury Street was changed therefore you may find that your Great grandfather only had two addresses in Burbury Street? Because No 2 and No 306 could possibly be the same residence? keith

Hi Keith, thats interesting I didn't realise! I have posted a recent picture of number 306 its at the top by the Lozells Road. I think there is a garage on the corner.

Wendy you will have to move to Newtown Row I think have a look at this

Back