• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bulpitt and Sons Birmingham

Re: Bullpitts

Dear All (this is my first post and I hope it goes in the correct place), I am researching my family history and trying to gather as much information of the business, and its locations. I do have some old documents and a victory souvenier brochure from after the Great War of the Bulpitt factory, with photographs of the interior and exterior of Swansea Works, If I can work out how to load etc, I will post on here.
I would love to visit and tour the sites but dont know where to start!
At some time in the future I hope to have a web-site dedicated to the Bulpitt's, but looking for a historian who may be able to help.
This website is great and its fantastic reading about former employees.

hi lorraine and welcome....there are some pretty amazing and knowledgable members on the forum who will be only too willing to help if they can.....

good luck with your venture...

astoness

I worked in the office at Bulpitts late 1950's. It was a wonderful company to work for and I was very happy there. The believe the dance hall was the 'Palais de dance'.

Dear Graham and Astoness, many thanks for your replies, I have so much more info to get and thought that I would visit the area shortly, as looking through all the trade directories, I have many addresses through the decades, I was once told by a collector that the business was started in the arches of Snow hill before they built the hotel, at the same time Thomas Bulpitt was also at the White Swan pub, Llittle Charles st which was demolished also. I would love to get the Bulpitt history published but have so much more to do!!

Another hurdle I have is the name, even in this thread its spelt incorrectly, from the 1900's on most documents its Bulpitt, or Bulpit, has also been noted as Bullpitt, Bullpit,Bulfet the list goes on !
I would love to hear from anybody who stumbles upon some info, places they were ;Northwood st, Camden St, Icknield St,Shadwell st, Snowhill (also been called Sandy lane, but no records),Livery St, Little Charles St,(later called Edmund St) Cheapside, and probably many more.
many thanks

greek orthodox church,spring hill terrace no name on the pub
Hi Dollyferret,

I'm new to this site but I can tell you that the pub with no name which is now a chineese resturant was call "The Summerhill Tavern" aka "the Freehouse" Jut to the left of the picture was the entrance to Bulpitts factory. My mom and I both worked there.

Regards

Sectioned electric copper kettle, the first type of kettle to be fitted with a totally immersed heating element, thereby doubling its efficiency, provisional patent no. 33221/ 21, by Bulpitt and Sons Ltd., Birmingham, 1921-1922. Len.

Hi, does anyone remember this factory??? as anyone got any pictures they would like to share, i remeber it as a child as all my friends would say it was haunted!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Bullpits Birminham

Apologies for hijacking an old thread, but my ancestor Joseph Moseley, a brassfounder, lived at 46 Northwood Street with his wife Ann in 1881. This is the address where Bulpitt and Son was originally based after it was founded in 1868. Joseph was either employed by Bulpitt, living in the premises, or rented independent work space and living quarters from Bulpitt. I too wonder whether any photographs exist of the factory. The link given in the thread reply above does not appear to work.

Incidentally, I am aware that the Kettleworks is being redeveloped, but understand this is one of the premises Bulpitt moved into after Northwood Street?

Any help out there on this?

Thanks.

Chrisb i agree we should form a bulpitt club i worked there for 41 years until i left and move to corfe mullen wimborne dorset about 20 years ago,it would be nice to hear from any old friends, best of luck with your idea john B

Please find attached 2 pictures, one is of my mother when she worked in the press shop during the coronation, she worked there for a long time. The other is when I worked in the spinning shop in 1964. I'm trying to remember names but the only one I can come up with is Stan Rose or Rhodes.

Attachments

• bulpitts 1964 spinning shop.jpg
    bulpitts 1964 spinning shop.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 55
  • bulpitts coronation1953.jpg
    bulpitts coronation1953.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 58
Another pic I have found, The lads at a xmas party 1964. These are named. I am sure this was in the Summerhill Tavern next door.

Attachments

• bulpitts xmas party1964.jpg
    bulpitts xmas party1964.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
what great pics terry...which one is your mom...im sure my sister worked at bulpitts for a while in the 80s so i must ask her

lyn

She is bottom right Lyn,holding her friends hand. I have another picture somewhere, a better one, but blowed if I can find it right now.

Terry

hi terry ;
nice picture i knew trevor reeves from school he lived on the same block as me and his sister
iused to go to his house as well ;my brother roy ws also working at bulpitts as a polisher for years and a ex brother inlaw worked in the press shop ad his step rothe was a secuity officier there on the gates he worked there for years ;
was you there when one of the security partipated in a robbery of a lorry load of metal from there in the camden street section ;
he let a gang of robbers come in and take it all the four members and the security bloke got five years apiece despite paying for there
well known solicitor serves them right i say ; [ yep nice picture] best wishes astonian;;

hi terry ;

was you there when one of the security partipated in a robbery of a lorry load of metal from there in the camden street section ;
he let a gang of robbers come in and take it all the four members and the security bloke got five years apiece despite paying for there
well known solicitor serves them right i say ; [ yep nice picture] best wishes astonian;;

I can't remember it Alan. I was there at the same time as that bloke who sat in a barrel at the top of a pole on the ice rink. We used to talk to him (well shout) from the windows that was right opposite him.

Terry

HI TERRY
Yes you are going back abit i remember him and the local kids and myself used to shout up to him as well
he did have a crowd or two come see him i did not think he woud have survived the course but he did ;i never enverned him crouched in that barrell
on the wek end i was selling hot dogs just below him for one and a tanner on the evenings for a guy whom made his own four hand carts from pram
wheels a big box on wheels a commercial cake tray for the roof of the stand and four broom sticks for surport aluminuim caseing all around and for the
bat maries incert and they was paint red and white he made four one out side bulpits and one by the midland bank at the top of monument rd and the corner of ickneild port rd and one for the tower ballroom and one at the bottom of reservour rd by blue bottle park by the old lady wood rd
blue bottle park got its name from the kids as it was right next to ladywood police station and they was always walking back and fore to the police station;
have a good day terry best wishes alan ; astonian;

Terry. Glad Chelmsley is still good. Also all the changes. It was always changing when we lived there. And thanks for the links. Will have a look at them shortly. Thanks again, and take care. Barry.

Am I correct in saying Bulpitts had a sports ground near Perry Barr? The junction of College Rd seems to ring a bell. Think I went there once to see The Barn play. Assume it was against Bulpitts. It would have been the Monday League

Am I correct in saying Bulpitts had a sports ground near Perry Barr? The junction of College Rd seems to ring a bell. Think I went there once to see The Barn play. Assume it was against Bulpitts. It would have been the Monday League

I don't know if they had a sports ground, I'm sure someone will know. What I do know is they had fishing rights on the river Teme at Ludlow. I was a member of their fishing club and we used to go there often.

Terry

Lovely photo's of old Bulpitt employees Terry. I also worked at Bulpitt's, and was so happy there, it was a great firm to work for.

I know Lucas had a sports ground around there, maybe that's the one you're thinking of?

Yes, that's just a bit further up College Road (Moor Lane).

Ah just found this searching for Bulpitts Sports ground Birmingham. All I can find on it. I reckon it must have been when TRW is today. It's under Public Notices....

(2) Land adjoining S.E. of Bulpitts & Sons Ltd.

sports ground at the junction of Aldridge Road

and College Road, Perry Barr, Birmingham, by

The Minister of Transport.

Would the Bulpitts factory in Camden Street be best described as being in Hockley? Or Ladywood? Should appreciate advice. Thanks.

A 1933 image of the factory.

Chris

Attachments

• z1939_camden_street.jpg
    z1939_camden_street.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 55
thats a good question chris...i think camden st comes under B18 in which case i would think hockley but i do stand to be corrected..

lyn

Back