• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

This Birmingham Post image from 1939 was taken from the steps of the Market Hall. What's unusual about the flower stalls is the large number of floral tributes for sale. For example there are a couple of anchors and wreaths. Maybe it was just before Remembrance Day. It could well have been a damp and dark November day. Viv.

image.jpeg

Below the Woodleys shop name there is a banner proclaiming Christmas Sale. It is a typical November day :eek:, an alternative is that maybe the wreaths were for house doors.

Remarked to the wife about the shop for photos while you wait, now it's out with the phone a quick shot and have it sent to the other side of the world in seconds.
Cheers Tim

That's about my time as well. I would hazard a guess of c1947/52 but some one will be able to date the bus and be nearer the mark.
Cheers Tim

Buses with the 'new look. front were introduced in Birmingham in 1950. One of the initial order of 100 buses that were built by Crossley of Manchester (both engines and bodies) became a star: it was exhibited at the 1950 Commercial Motor Show and they went on to spend six weeks at the Festival of Britain in 1951. I had the excitement of seeing that bus at the Festival of Britain.
However, parked outside St. Martins Church is a Midland Red bus - classed as dual purpose type in that they could run the usual services or double up on shorter distance coach routes. They were red with black roofs and were favourites for the longer X prefixed services that ran some very long distances.
These buses were introduced in 1956.

Last edited:
Remarked to the wife about the shop for photos while you wait, now it's out with the phone a quick shot and have it sent to the other side of the world in seconds.
Cheers Tim
When did this happen? The lead on our phone isn't long enough, but this trim phone looks smarter than the one with the dial.
Bob

Bul ring, Moor Street.jpg
Am I correct in saying (hoping) this picture is late fifties early sixties??

birmingham barrow  boys..jpg
The text with this image said "Birmingham Barrow Boys". I am hoping that because of the sloping ground it is near the Bull ring.

The barrow belonging to Walter Glover & Co. states Jamaica Row on its side rail. That is where it is I am sure.
Minor, Weir and Willis are still trading from Deykin Avenue, Witton. They were established 1963 apparently so that must mean the photo is 1963 or more.

From the 1964 edition Kellys (which would probably refer to 1963) Walter Glover and Meir,Weir & Willis were resoectively at 65 & 63 Jamaica Row, while J.P.Wood & Sons were at no 59, and 67 was a refrigeration firm. Exactly where can be seen on the map below. A photo I took a few years later of the same businesses is also below.

normal_red_24__nos_59-67_jamaica_row.jpg
map c 1950 middle Jamaica row.jpg

bb.jpg
What a great picture this is, all the hustle and bustle that I remember.
This may not be in the correct place due to the date.

The Bull Ring..jpg
No date with this on so I guessed around the 50s but after another look I think it may be later..

Think probably 1940-50 Stitcher. Perhaps someone can confirm by looking at the vehicles. Thanks. Viv.

the photo on post 281 is interesting....can anyone tell me what the 2 hut like buildings on stilts are..also notice people walking up steps...would it be a train station maybe moor st...i have lost my bearings again:D or is it the wholesale market... as for the rest of this thread ..it just shows us how many fine buildings we have lost never to be seen again:mad:

Last edited:
Back