• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

There was groove in road from the bikes, I thnk the 500 twin ws the bike then? love to see photos. John Crump Oldbrit. Parker, Co USA

John Crump Yes the 500 Twin was just one of many models in existence then. The grooves in the road wser caused by the footrext digging in . The rubbers were not fittted till after the bike were cleaned in the finishing shop.
The 250 cc C 10 and C11 model were the worst for digging in. At the end of the footpeg was a small knob as part of the forging and it purpose was the stop the rubber from coming off. At times the knob was ground away completelly but the rubbers seemed to stick on as they were a tight fit,
Somtimes a good 1/2 inch of footpeg would be ground off during an 8 mile test run cheers Joe Will see how I go about getting some pics up here

I worked at the BSA in Golden Hillock Rd from 1963 until Oct 1969, just before it closed. I first worked on the Beagle cylinder heads before moving to the centre of the building (with the big 'S ' in front of it) working on the A50/A65 twin crankcases in D Section. I used to spend many lunch times just exploring the place because it was so vast. I remember coming across the motorcycle used in the Bond film "Thunderball" albeit minus the rockets! Great memories and great mates.

I can hear the ROAR of the bikes now! Loved to see them go around. I was always into PEDAL bikes never got interested in the motor kind. Thanks for the info bet you had lots of fun testing bikes. any photos? Thanks. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA

My late Grandfather worked for the BSA until his demise in the 1940's, one of his claims to fame was that he reckoned he could tell you what make of

bike it was by listening to the tone of the engine. This was when there were many more manufacturers and before the influx of Japanese machines.

I can hear the ROAR of the bikes now! Loved to see them go around. I was always into PEDAL bikes never got interested in the motor kind. Thanks for the info bet you had lots of fun testing bikes. any photos? Thanks. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA
For Pictures go to my site on " flickr" BSA Small Heath. Lou Dalby Ex BSA Test.

Thanks, I have an interest in the BSA, I remember the buildings as a child, they seemed so big and fascinated me. My mother and aunt worked there during WW11. I posted a picture of them in a tug of war in another section at a BSA Sports Day (I probably put it in the wrong place knowing me as I still haven't quite got the knack), once again Thanks,

Chris

The New Zealand BSA Motorcycle Owners Club would like to hear from former employees at the BSA who would be prepared to write about their time there for our magazine Southern Star. Contact Ashley Blair, President, NZBSAMOC, [email protected] [FONT=&amp]Web: [/FONT][FONT=&amp]https://bsa.org.nz/[/FONT]

Hi Ashley Was a mad tester at BSA Have sent you my current email address erc in Aussie Cheers Joe brown Did you look at Lou Dalbys Pics on Flickr yet ?????????

bsa.jpg
This is a photo of my Mom and her workmates at the B.S.A. On the reverse she had written B.S.A. Armoury Road 1945.
My Auntie is the lady with glasses sat at the back. My Mom is the lady with the lovely smile to the right of to her.
The only names Mom could remember were Len, Mary Gaffrey, Herbert the foreman, Rita, Irene Pearson, Lil Brown (nee Archer) and a lady who lived near the Rock Picture House. My Mom and Auntie were Joyce Powell ( nee Poyner ) and Ida Jarvis (nee Poyner )

I do hope that you can enlarge it.

fergie, my grandfather was a master cycle maker.He worked under Herbert Austin at Wolesley tool co. ltd,Alma st, lozells until Austin left in about 1904/5 to start his motor works at Longbridge.Sadly,no records of employees at Alma st. survive.However he eventualy went to BSA and may be on your photo.i dont know my way around computers very well.Do you know if employee records for BSA still exist?

JD,there is a promotional video posted by PHILBEE, it may show something of interest. i havn,t viewed it ,cos i don,t know my around yet.go to the forum headed "B,HAM HISTORY NETWORK",click b,ham history and go to page 4 promotional videos posted by philbee in about 2009.

Thanks perrybarrpest, that is a classic old video from the 1950's, very enjoyable.
I'm hoping that someone who worked in the service dept. in 1967 will share their memories. Louis Dalby had commented (link below) about large numbers of bikes being returned from the USA, it would be nice to have some insight to how the service dept. handled them.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28583&p=475720#post475720

jd,i don,t know how bsa dealt with disgruntled clients but i do know how triumph cars under BL did.when the complaints about the triumph stag reached a crescendo from america all american agencies were told to include "barrs radleak" in their pre-delivery service.

Thanks for the great pics postie, not seen them before, the one i asked for was taken looking from the Coventry Rd front view, i have added yours to my library. Len.

Have just picked up the BSA thread
My late wife Audrey worked at the BSA in 1950s she built wheels for theMotorcycle section. Her father and mother both worked at the same factory. Alllived in Armoury Road. Before we were married I would meet Audrey on Saturdaymorning at the cafe on the corner of Goldenhilock Rd. and Armoury Rd. then catcha train at Small Heath station and go to town. can't belive that it is almost 60 years ago
Lovely times-- sadly missed

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely memories Woody, time sure dos fly when you are older, I have just received a photo of old Bartley Green village, showing my old school room, its 61 years since I was there too.paul

Don Dearson, the Birmingham City half back in their 1945 Championship winning team was working at the BSA on the terrible night of the bombing. He obviously survived the night.

I have just been speaking to my 81 years old friend, Gordon Edwards, whose mother and father ran the "other" café, opposite the BSA, on the Golden Hillock Road, almost at the top of the hill. I asked Gordon if he remembers those times, and he said that the café would be full at lunchtime with BSA workers. Eddie

1428631520_e78386c6a3_o.jpgIf you look at the top right of the attached picture that is the part of the factory that was restored after the raid. My brother is far right. Lou Dalby.

Louis, the footballer that died of polio was Jeff Hall the Birmingham City and England full back. Most tragic. Not really for this thread, but my cousin bought Jeff's Austin A90 Atlantic when he died. Eddie.

Back