• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

I have attached a picture of Joe Brown 500cc B33 at the start of musical chairs at a sports day held at the BSA sports ground. Joe and he's passenger won, he's prize a electric fire her's a crockery set. c1950. Joe was a member of the road test team who suppied the picture.

Edit. Unfortunately the images referred to below are no longer available.

Yesterday, whilst rummaging around in an airing cupboard, my mother discovered a bag containing a vast amount of photos of BSA and it's employees. Frustratingly, I am unable to get my scanner working this morning and will have to wait until my hubby gets home from work this evening. As I can't contain my excitement until then, I will however write the names and notes from the back of the photos to see if anybody can recognise themselves or their relatives!
Photo 1 ....... July 1953 at the BSA. Barbara, Glen, Joan, Phil, Jean, Betty & Me (me is Beryl Sheldon nee Gillett)
This photo is of 7 women sat on a grass verge, on a sunny day (as they are all in summer dresses) next to a fence and a sign 'BRYANT'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beryl was a teleprinter operator and at the time of her marriage to Eric Sheldon, she had been with the company for 7 years. Beryls father, Harry Gillett, who also worked at BSA was a polisher and is in a group photo outside a building with a group of men, some in blue overalls, on what looks like a tea break!

My nan, Beryl, was obviously quite a hoarder, as I also have a get well note from a women called Ann Jones (I think) in cycle sales and a BSA headed letter 1953, signed Elizabeth, acknowledging receipt of a letter and doctors note as she had to have an operation on her throat.
I promise to get all images uploaded on to this forum as soon as my scanner is up and running!

Forgemans Granddaughter, What a great find of photos of BSA, it will be terrific to see them, the "Bryant" sign is the name of building company who did a lot of work for BSA. Len.

Radio Tower Amoury Rd, Wall Sign, Derilect part of BSA factory 2 Garages are undernearth. Photos do not enlarge see next post. Len.

Last edited:
Attached is a cutting and picture from when BSA sold their armoury
Mike

Sale_of_BSA_armory.jpg

Sale_of_BSA_armory_2A.jpg

The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures
taken from Google Streetview.

Attachments

• bb0293[1].jpg
    bb0293[1].jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 15
  • armoury.JPG
    armoury.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 14
Hello there,I`m trying to find out as much as I can about a mass grave that was for some young women who died together at the B.S.A. in an air raid shelter at Borsley Green.

I had heard it had been covered over,if anyone has any information I would be so grateful.Fisher

fisher, It is not a good to post your email address on a thread as it is an open forum and could be seen and used by scammers. Len.

I remember my mother, who worked there at the time, telling me that most of the people who were killed were actually buried under the factory when it was rebuilt.

I`ve seen the grave once,but I `ve heard it has been covered up by a carpark,I do hope this is not true

Hello Len,

Hope you are well. Do you know any one who worked at the BSA Shirley factory between 1954 to 1963? Do you have any photo's of any of the BSA factories during the 1950's.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike

My Grandad also worked at the BSA & I do have (somewhere tucked away in a safe box!!) one of their little booklets with lots of info in, plus lists of workers & how long they served there. My Grandad Jack Chamberlain notched up an incredible service history & didn't fully retire until he was well into his 70's!!! I'll try & dig the booklet out & scan it.......give me a bit of time & I'm sure it'll come to light (*says she with fingers & eyes crossed*).

A couple of nice adverts for BSA cycles - only £8.19.6. - same price in 1943 as in 1945. And 'Battle tested" !! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328887782.842146.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328887809.829156.jpg

My Grandad also worked at the BSA & I do have (somewhere tucked away in a safe box!!) one of their little booklets with lots of info in, plus lists of workers & how long they served there. My Grandad Jack Chamberlain notched up an incredible service history & didn't fully retire until he was well into his 70's!!! I'll try & dig the booklet out & scan it.......give me a bit of time & I'm sure it'll come to light (*says she with fingers & eyes crossed*).

Dolphie,

My great grandfather John Johnson (known as Hardy Johnson apparently) was a manager at the BSA Redditch works for many years. I would love to know if he is mentioned in your little book of employees. He was with BSA All his working life I believe and married a Sarah Jane Nash who in 1881 was listed on that Census year as being a French Polisher and John was a cycle maker. At the time they would both be working at the Aston works.

Eos

My father worked at the BSA as did hid brother. My fathers name was Rowland Bott he died in August 1940 two months before I was born. I would love to know if his name or my Uncles name James/Frank Bott are in you book.

Thank you

Hi There I was a road Tester at BSA untill 1957. At that time the Road Rockets had a model rocket on the fron mudguard and tanks were silver >The must have changed to style just after I left.
I have a pic somwhere of the Rocket I had here in Australia. Must see if I can find it andas I dont remember if it had a Rocket on it . It had the Western Patterm bars on as did all the export Rockets while I was at BSA Cheers Joe

This bike is an export model it was despatched to Pennsylvania in september 1957 and spent most of its time in Gettysburg. I have seen a few photos of the rocket emblem on the front mudguard but as a registration plate was required in the uk in the same spot it was never a feature here. The colour is china red, they where also made in blue.
As soon as the weather picks up I intend to return it to Armoury Road after 55 years !! and touch it to the wall. Photos to follow. Regards Dicky

I left BSA In January 1957 so I would have missed this model . I will see if I can find the one I had in my shop ans see if it had a Rocket on.. Where is this bike of yours at the moment ?

Are you one of the testers that rode the roundabout on Golden Hillock Rd? in the early 50s I worked for Bill Bloye whos studio was right there. John Crump OldBrit, Parker, Co USA

Hi Jihn Crump Yes I was one of those mad devils There were 16 of us altogether. They were great times If you want to see some pics there are some on some of the Flickr picture sites . I would have to check out exactly where they are but you could try ............Armoury Rd on Flickr and go from there

Back