• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brum traffic images from 1960s onwards ?

tali

master brummie
Just wondering if anyone can point me to online pics of Brum traffic images from 1960s onwards -if you have any it would be great to see them as i like to car spot :cool:

cracking pics gents, there's an old Bham Corporation Shelvoke & Drury dustcart on the Hurst St pic amongst lots of other memories with the others

Any more ????

Looking up Hagley Road from Five Ways junction. The traffic lights must have failed, and a policeman on point duty feels the glare of a dozen driver's eyes in his back!
Note the mini with a city coat of arms on the door - an official car of some corporation department or other.

This could be a candidate for the 'Where is it?' Thread except that I don't know. It's the same location as the rear view pic above but with oncoming traffic. It was a view to do with the construction of the Queensway but I can't place where.

Looking up Hagley Road from Five Ways junction. The traffic lights must have failed, and a policeman on point duty feels the glare of a dozen driver's eyes in his back!
Note the mini with a city coat of arms on the door - an official car of some corporation department or other.

Super photo Lloyd, that wouldn't be you in the Volvo at the lights? I recall lifts home from the Anchor when you had one of those, many moons ago.
Mike

You are turning the clock back now! Mine was an estate though. There's a few gems of cars I'd love to have on some of these photos, not to mention the buses!
Happy Days!

A couple of busy traffic scenes in Birmingham City Centre. I'm not too sure of the dates, but they look like around the sixties sometime, perhaps one of our transport experts can put a date to them. One is taken in Corporation St and the other in Jamaica Row.

Phil

Phil would put the Corporation Street photo as nearer the late 1940's/early 1950's. Here is the same street again seen in the 1960's.

Mike

Looking at it again and realising the age of the couple of cars that you can see. I have no doubt that you are right. Looking at the wintery conditions I would hazard a guess at 1947 as that ties in with your time frame.

Phil

Another candidate for Where is this? Not much to go on so posting here for the car spotters with the grand variety of motors to be seen in 1967.

Car spotters paradise there ASTONITE, great pics. I chose this next location with you in mind but am cheating on this one because it's 1940's instead of 60's. Most of the vehicles, apart from the trams, probably made it into the 60's or at least until MOTs came in.

An excellent photo mike, obviously taken from the open balcony of a tram, showing how the trams only just fitted under Lichfield Road bridge - by having the power wire diverted to the side, and lower than the roof!
Not all trams would fit under there though, the ones that could had this brass plate on the windscreen frame to assure the driver that it could be taken under safely.

Cracking photo of lichfield road Mike, just when you think you have seen them all, along comes another, thankyou.

Another candidate for Where is this? Not much to go on so posting here for the car spotters with the grand variety of motors to be seen in 1967.

mike post 22
looks like witton.near the ici.electric avenue.the sign on the lampost shows R which would mean its on the ring road.no 11 route.
hope i'm right

Yes Winston, that's Witton Road. The mini van is pulling out of Tame Road, at the almost combined junction with Deykin Avenue. The zebra crossing has been replaced by a set of pedestrian lights a little further away now.

Back