• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bromsgrove street

Davenport

master brummie
I wonder if anyone can help me with this ,my grandfathers family had a printing business in Bromsgrove st from at least 1861 till the c1940s called Stevens. i understand that the original painted name was still visible above the shop front a few years ago. would you know of this business or have a photograph ? many thanks .

I think that if, as you describe, the family were still in the printing business in Birmingham to the 1940s, then the firm must have changed their name or have been taken over before the first war. Examination of the directories shows no entry in the 1862 edition in Bromsgrove street , or elsewhere, for a printer named Stevens, but, as the entries usually refer to the year before then he could have started there in late 1861. In the 1868 directory George Stevens, letterpress printer is at 10½ Bromsgrove St, but by 1872 he has moved a few doors down to no 19. He remains there till sometime between 1884 and 1888, when the business is listed as belonging to Mrs Ann Stevens, presumably his wife. It remains in the directories under her name till the 1904 edition, but has gone by 1912. There seems to be no listing for a Stevens printer in that year or in 1921 or 1933, which is why I believe the firm probably changed its name or merged, presumably when Ann died.

Mike

Hi Mike, Thank you for your interest and time. I know Grandad lived and worked at 19 Bromsgrove st in July 1910 as this address is on the Marriage cert'. Family member has said he lost the business due to 'women and drink' It must have been as you have said c1912,earlier than i had thought. i know he worked for the B'ham Mail as a printer for many years.
? Did you mean 1898 at 10 1/2 Bromsgrove st as you say 'BUT BY 1872 he has moved to no 19.'?
thank you once again, Clive

Sorry Clive. missprint - I meant 1868, and have now corrected it in the original
mike

Evans & Kitchen launch the Austin Gypsy with this 1in1 hill climb. Len.

Last edited:
Back