• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Broadway bordesley green

Hello Leebcfc, i dont know when the Broadway closed as a pub, but it is now a Mc donalds. i remember it when they used to hold cocerts there, i played there in 1967.

by for now

shardeen

Well, this raised an interesting conversation with the "021"ers at our local pub quiz tonight, hubby and I reckon around 12 years ago, as do mom and dad but another Brummie says 1990's, early on, I'm sure one of the pub afficianados will tell us though!
Sue

HI SUE;
You have heard the expression of i know a man whom can ;well i do;
and thats my barber phil lynch whom had is shop right next door to the broad way until qiute recently ;and he fills me in of
the game every time i go there as alot of the old licences go to phils quite regular ; just like me;
and it just so happeneds that i met an old reliefe whom happened to do the lock out of the pub my old mate george
and it happends that i am on my way today to phils at the yew tree to get my hair cut ;
and phil will tell me when it actualy cosed down i do beleive it was in the late 90.s it laid empty forsome years before becoing big mcdonalds
so unles som one comes up before me i will tell you the excact year and he is well known guy whom we speak about every time i go there as we know each other very well; he went to run a pub for another well known character whom owns pubs around the midlands and around brum;
he ran the castle on moseley rd and then he moved to eversham ; and back in brum now for years and up to recently i think about twelve months ago or less the brook hill down the rd from the broad way ;an that was craig whom went onto run the cross guns in washwoodheath rd
but any way we will get the correct answer some time today ;soner or later ;what ever comes first ;
have a nice day best wishes astonian;; alan ;;

No idea, although spending nearly twenty years there as a Bowler from 1960 till we moved to the Yew Tree late 80s when they took the Green off us. There was a very strong community spirit there in the 60s and 70s, the Weekly Tote alone, run by Bob Merrick and Ray Downes, paid out nearly £200 quid a week...which did a lot of good stuff for Father Hudsons Homes kids...picture below shows them arriving Christmas for a sing song and presents...Ray Downes is the man featured, and you can see the Pub sign in the back....we also had nightly sing songs...all Al Jolson and old favourites from way back...and concerts. Billy Sunshine on the door, Bob Hatch, Billy Breen (later to become Larry Grayson), Les Lines...some really good nights for charity fund raising...bowls against Birmingham City footballers for local charities...what a Palace of memories...

View attachment 82584Broadway Tram.jpgThe Broadway now.jpgBroadway Father Hudson Party Ray D & kids outside.jpgBowls209.jpgBowls218.jpg

HI GUYS ;
Today i travelled to brum yardley just behind the barrows lane wher the old co/op sports ground was if not still there
i went to get my hair cut at phil lynch whom until recently moved from the broad way which wa next to the broad way pub ;
and he showed me a monthly magerzine produced by the local church which runs a cafe called out ward bound and it is still there today the cafe
just cross from is old barber shop whom was there for forty years or so;
and today i asked him when the broad way closed down and emediately smiled and said thats strange and i said why ;
he said i have kept this magerzine for years in the office part of his shop
it was printed by a vicar for the local church communeity and on the front page was a big picture of the old broad way
and the front page was full of the story of the problems they may face in the case of what is going to happened to the pub now it had closed down
and at first they the brewers was going to sell the land to the garage and petrol storage facities but thy got together and blocked the idea ; so they won he fight and then they was going t sell it to a well known super market ; but they blocked that
then come along mcdonalds and they gave the thumbs up for that so macs had it and have been there ever since ;
so as it goes phil ; said the last person ;to run it down was a foriegn guy whom ran it to the ground so he got the sack 'and the pub was run by another spiv;
i will call him whom i have happened to be introduced to him ;not so long ago ;by another friend of mine ;and it comes to tasked as i asked him what do you do for a living ;and he said he his retired and heis over from spain or a while going back in january ;but he used to be a relief manager ; for the brewery
and i asked him where he had done he named the pubs where he had been and oe was a verygood friend of mine whomi will not name him or his pub ;
but when my frien went on holiday this guy done excatly what he had been doing and ripping the pubs off
but any way he seenthe oportuneity o do the brod way ; and that was the nail in the coffin and then they closed the pubpermntly for a year or to before
selling it of to macs so getting the year it was 93; and the magerzine was the first issue to be printed about the pub in 93
and the one with he story line a follow up was febuary 94 ;when macs took over , and the price of the magerzine was 25 pence to buy ;
so the pub was in 93 that it ceaed trading ;
hope that puts it right now to the question
best wishes astonian;

Cheers Alan. Has Phil got a shop, and if so precisely where. I would kill for photo of the old Broadway, and I live close by that area...and need a haircut..sounds like he may have one that I might beg a copy...

I remember the Broadway pub well,it had a bit of a reputation at one time...I've seen a few being thrown out of there on my way home from Alston roaad school in the fiftys....happy days.

I see you are another of Phil's loyal regulars.We should encourage him to contibute to this forum he has a wealth of knowledge about the Bordesley Green area and in particular the people who lived in the area

I've forgotten some of the characters who lived in Bordesley Green even though I was born there...hopefully this forum will remind me of some.

For all those who have any photos or stories to tell of Bordesley Green, in particular the Ideal Village. There is a great guy who has a website and FB site who is looking for contributions of its history, see here: https://bghistory.org.uk/ or 'Bordesley Green History' on the FB pages. I'm sure he'd be grateful for copies of any original photographs of the area and your memories and reminiscences. Many thanks for any help that is forthcoming.

Great pictures Dennis. Showed Dad today and he was touched with photo of Ray. He thinks that it may be you in picture 4 sitting on bench?

john.

Back