• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bridges over the River Cole

It wasn't a council pitch, we used to call it something like latcheler and Batcheller but I don't really know.
Hi,

I don't think anyone has mentioned the concrete/brick? footbridge that
joins the two halves of the park on the opposite side of Bordesley Green East
from the Ritz.

Kind regards
Dave
Hello,
I did mention the bridge ‘Bordesley Green down from the old Ritz Cinema (dual carriageway) a concrete bridge’ in an earlier post
the park on the far side of Bordesley Green had the play ground in it, and the river Cole split the pitches 2 one side and 3 the other I think. The pitches on the far side were always water logged

It wasn't a council pitch, we used to call it something like latcheler and Batcheller but I don't really know.
I remember Latch and Batchelor being further down the river by St Cyprians Church , I mentioned Girling and Reynolds Tubes as I am sure they use to put the goal posts and nets up, but my memory may be failing me

Hello,
I did mention the bridge ‘Bordesley Green down from the old Ritz Cinema (dual carriageway) a concrete bridge’ in an earlier post

Hi Covroad,

Yes, I saw that post, but the bridge I was referring to was the small humpback bridge halfway across the park.

Kind regards
Dave

Well its been over 60 years since I have been down to the Hay Barn Rec what a lot of lovely memories these pictures have given me thanks a lot

Well its been over 60 years since I have been down to the Hay Barn Rec what a lot of lovely memories these pictures have given me thanks a lot
Somewhere I have pictures of the Heybarnes rec in 60’s and 70’s with Billy Smarts Circus; the elephants walking by the Cole, the old parkies hut and changing room before they burnt down
if I can find them I will scan and post.

Attached is some information on Hobmoor Bridge over the river Cole and the associated Ford

Attachments

• hobmoor bridge.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Hi,

I don't think anyone has mentioned the concrete/brick? footbridge that
joins the two halves of the park on the opposite side of Bordesley Green East
from the Ritz.

Kind regards
Dave
Richmond pub, Salvation Army building opposite,ABC minors at the Ritz.

Attached pictures of bridges over the River Cole Hobmoor Road Bridge (2 pictures) looking towards Hodmoor Road / Larch Avenue Housing estate is on the right, I can remember this area without the houses and the site being developed .
1 picture of Hay Mills Bridge on the Coventry Road , as a child I lived on Hobmoor Road then moved to Coventry Road , Heybarnes rec was mine and others playground for years .

Attachments

• FB9C733B-0149-42E0-AE55-20E0B8094D0F.jpeg
    FB9C733B-0149-42E0-AE55-20E0B8094D0F.jpeg
    766.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 02D72C7A-98FB-4F4D-9336-9607CEA7E4C6.jpeg
    02D72C7A-98FB-4F4D-9336-9607CEA7E4C6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 59124B3A-A56C-4361-8F7C-02B655C47A93.jpeg
    59124B3A-A56C-4361-8F7C-02B655C47A93.jpeg
    612.4 KB · Views: 29
When we travelled along Hobmoor Road, I suppose in 1950's, my grandfather b 1893 would often refer to the crossing over the Cole as "the ford". I wonder what bucolic memories he would be enjoying.

Back