• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridges over the River Cole

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
As far as I am aware there is no single thread covering the various bridges over the River Cole, so in order to get this historical information into one place, I am starting this new thread.

The Stratford Road bridge near the College Arms pub was part of my childhood for ten years or so, as it was for several other members of the Forum and some members also have childhood and later recollections of the other River Cole bridges. The following newspaper articles deal with the construction and official opening of the Stratford Road bridge on 20th July 1914, though it had been open for use some time prior to the official opening.

It was the third such bridge at this site, the first being built in 1620, which was followed by a pair of bridges at a later, as yet unknown, date. The current bridge was built to enable the Tramways Committee to extend services from Sparkhill into Hall Green, the previous bridges having been too narrow.

If anyone has access to a photograph of the two bridges that it replaced, I'm sure we'd all love to see it. Meanwhile, we have a rather poor quality photograph taken on the day of the opening and extracted from the Birmingham Daily Mail dated 21st July 1914. The text is taken from the Birmingham Dail Post of the same date. I hope you can all manage to read it.

Maurice

BDM21071914.jpg
BDP21071924_1.jpg
BDP21071924_2.jpg
BDP21071924_3.jpg
BDP21071924_4.jpg

Very interesting information. Thank you.
I have criss crossed the bridges over the River Cole all my life but never really thought about them. I used to cross Slade road and Scriber's Lane (more of a ford!) bridges on my way to and from school. Colebank Road and the Stratford Road bridges on my way to and from Grandad''s house. Then of course there is Green Lane and Brook lane Bridges or are they over the little Chinn Brook?
I am looking forward to reading and learning from this thread.

This picture already exists on the Forum, but it ties in very nicely with the description above so well worth a re-post.

Maurice

New bridge Stratford Road College Arms pub.jpg

Interesting information here regarding the construction of the Stratford Road Bridge. It had to be a substantial structure, I guess, in order for the tramway system to be extended to the City boundary at Hall Green/Shirley.

I remember many of the fords and timber structures over the River Cole which were to the west of the Stratford Road. I wonder if they still exist? or has 'modernity' culverted them? These fords in the Yardley Wood and Shirley areas were a paradise for youngsters - myself included - and in my case were far enough away from home that I could get dried off if my clothing got wet!
k010.gif

I used to live opposite the Dingles in Cole Valley Road and remember the Four Arches Bridge which one could cross to get to the Prefabs on the other side. I know the Prefabs were demolished and replaced by accommodation for the elderly. I found information about the Four Arches Bridge on this site "The Shire Country Park Friends" where information can be found under "Dingles" in the left hand column. There is quite a bit of interesting information around the area.

There is still a foot-bridge across the River Cole and next to the ford at Green Road, Hall Green. This ford is situated just a few yards from about house-number 200 in Sarehole Road. Just across the foot-bridge, away from Sarehole Road, you can either walk left to Sarehole Mill or right along the bank of the Cole to Springfield and the bridge near the College Arms. I think that these walks now have some reference to Tolkien. Dave.

Yes, the Green Road footbridge was totally wooden in the 1940s/50s, but when I visited the area about four years ago, it had been replaced by a steel bridge. Simalarly, where the river crossed Green Road the river bed was bright green with trailing water weed, whereas now it is just dead, either killed by the amount of traffic or removed deliberately in the interests of "Elf & Safety". But that green water weed was lovely to paddle on!

Maurice

Fords still exist at Scribers Lane and Slade Road but the Green Lane Ford that joined Aqueduct Road is long gone. The fords at Scriber Lane and Slade Road no longer carry motor traffic as the council closed the roads to save the cost of maintenance as the surface was continually requiring repair. The Ford at the Junction of Aquaduct Road and Peter Brook Road was replaced with an 'Irish' Bridge a long time ago and only now becomes a ford after heavy rain.

I remember my grandfather, born late 19th century referring to the crossing of the River Cole at Hobmoor Rd. as "the ford". Would that of been so? I remember the bridge on Packington Ave. being a Bailey bridge. The bridge on Cole Hall lane was single track with traffic lights.

I remember my grandfather, born late 19th century referring to the crossing of the River Cole at Hobmoor Rd. as "the ford". Would that of been so? I remember the bridge on Packington Ave. being a Bailey bridge. The bridge on Cole Hall lane was single track with traffic lights.

The ford at Hobmoor Rd, roughly where the bridge is now.

Attachments

• Hay Mills Hobmoor Rd.jpg
    Hay Mills Hobmoor Rd.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 63
My memories of the River Cole were more to the East in the Stechford area. The Stechford Lane bridge had (and probably still has) a large diameter pipe that crosses the river to the West of the roadway. It always looked inviting as something to try and walk across. Alas, we moved out of the area before I managed that achievement.

Further East at Cole Hall Lane the river went under a small, narrow, brick arch bridge. I say 'used to' because sometime about 1970, after heavy rainfall, the bridge was swept away. This was replaced by a Bailey bridge which, having undergone many modifications, still remains.

Lea Ford Road > Packington Avenue was probably, as the name suggests, originally a ford but (presumably) with the building of the Shard End estate, was then spanned also by a Bailey bridge. In the 1960's the timber flooring felt as if it was unattached and 'rumbled' when cars were driven over it. Much later this was replaced by a more permanent structure.

I have always been of the opinion that the River Cole impeded the commercial growth of the southern part of the City - or should that be blamed on the Planners? Even before the building of the M6 the river bridges caused bottlenecks on the Stratford Road, Coventry Road, and to a lesser extent, the Warwick Road. Essentially, the only reasonable route from the South was Bordesley Green East which, didn't really come from anywhere.

In contrast, to the North had the Walsall Road, College Road, and Kingstanding Road, all feeding into the Birchfield Road complex. Further round was the Tyburn Road. All good Transport routes for goods and services. Even the 'grand plan' of 'dualling' Bromford Lane > Stechford Lane halted at the River Cole, albeit not helped by the limited width of the railway bridge.

Of course, little changed at the Erdington end either.

Green Rd Ford then four arches bridge as mentioned by Carolina, then Scribers Lane Ford.

Attachments

• Hall Green Four Arches.JPG
    Hall Green Four Arches.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Hall Green Green Rd Ford.jpg
    Hall Green Green Rd Ford.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Hall Green Scribers Lane Ford.JPG
    Hall Green Scribers Lane Ford.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 81
My memories of the River Cole were more to the East in the Stechford area. The Stechford Lane bridge had (and probably still has) a large diameter pipe that crosses the river to the West of the roadway. It always looked inviting as something to try and walk across. Alas, we moved out of the area before I managed that achievement.

Further East at Cole Hall Lane the river went under a small, narrow, brick arch bridge. I say 'used to' because sometime about 1970, after heavy rainfall, the bridge was swept away. This was replaced by a Bailey bridge which, having undergone many modifications, still remains.

The pipe is still there at Stechford.

The single lane bridge at Cole Hall Lane has been replaced by one with two lanes.

The pipe is still there at Stechford.

Thanks but the 'urge' has long since passed!

The single lane bridge at Cole Hall Lane has been replaced by one with two lanes.

I quite liked the single lane bridge. Some years ago I was teaching HGV driving in the area and used to use that bridge to reinforce the principal of 'planning ahead'. From the Bromford side, if they got too close to the Stop line in an artic, then getting between the steelwork was somewhat problematic.

RE #14, Phil. Great Photograph. Thanks. I guess looking north towards Small Heath as the track on the nearside doesn't appear to be metalled in fact not much of a track at all. Any idea of a date for the post card and when a bridge was built on this site?

Perusing the satellite views show a very different aspect to the area between Colebrook Road (Shirley) and Slade Lane (Hall Green). The area is far more wooded than I remember, but my memories are over sixty years old. The Priory Road side of the river was farmland and orchards (good for scrumping - but it meant a dash across the river in case the farmer was nearby! Prior to the end of WW2 the Cole had meandered into a marshy area between the North Warwickshire railway embankment and the field adjacent to Priory Road from Colebrook Road to Slade Lane. German prisoners of war were employed in digging a straighter course for the river making better footpaths the railway side. Incidentally the German prisoners also dug trenches for gas street lighting in this part of Shirley = maybe they did elsewhere?

Back